Topic: The time has come, please teach me.

Hey guys, as many of you know I haven't been around long in the hobby. I am however quickly realizing that to get the most out of it I really need to build a home track.

I have been doing some research, looking at track builds, but I still got a couple questions.

What is the preferred lap counting setup? I know we use Race Coordinator at Al's, but I assume there is some hard parts needed. I saw a few people using the Pyramid 25amp power supply, seems affordable and should be plenty of power.

Did you buy a tool kit?

I got decent space, so I will be trying to plan something with no crossovers since that seems to be a bugger. Maybe some light banking, but really I plan to keep it SIMPLE. Especially for my first attempt.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice,
Zack

Re: The time has come, please teach me.

Track builds depend on what you want to do with the track and how much space you have available. Whether you want to hold club races or just use it for practice and tuning. All you really need is a router and a 1/8" bit. There are several methods you can use when routing the slot for turns.

I have used Trackmate for a lap counting system for years. You can purchase it with everything you need to connect it to your track for about $150. It is also compatible with Race Coordinator, and I later switched to using RC. The nice thing about using Race Coordinator through the Trackmate interface is you don't have the power shut off glitches like we experience at Al's.

As far as a power supply, the Pyramid units are very good. I picked my variable power supply up off of Ebay for quite a bit less. Search power supplies that are not slot car specific. Lab units are also very good. You can get as good or better than a Pyramid  for less money.

I purchased a copper tape laying tool. I have laid copper tape with and without the tool and I'll tell you, the tool makes it a LOT easier! You're welcome to use mine if I can find it...........

Lastly, check with Chris. I think he would like to find a home for his current track. It is a small 3 lane track that fits in a corner. It is not very long but it is a blast to run on!

Zack, having a routed track at home is a real joy, even if all you use it for is practice. As for crossovers, they're not that hard to do, and if you're interested in having your lanes equal in length (or as close as possible), crossovers are essential. Otherwise, lanes will vary (sometimes widely) in length. I have the bits you'll need to route both the slot and the "gains" (slight depressions on either side of the slot if you use braid instead of copper tape), as well as a spacing gauge that fits on the bottom of your router to keep lane spacing consistent. A kit for making routing extremely easy used to be for sale by a guy in Vancouver, Canada. That stuff is (was?) currently being sold by Greg Gaub in Washington State, according to this info: https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index. … wforum=415

I have some leftover Sintra (the plastic you put in the first routed slot to guide the routing of the rest of the lanes), that you're free to borrow. I'm sure that a lot of the guys—including me—would be happy to help if and when you get going on your track.

4 (edited by Mitch58 January 22, 2019 11:19 am)

First look at your space, decide what you want and what you want it to be able to do. Don't forget "ease of Marshaling".
The next biggest this is a good drawing. Al made a very detailed drawing with all of the radiuses on it. Take a good look at it next time you are there. It really simplified things.
When we built Al's track I had some time off. We built the table and cut and routed all of the pieces in a couple of days. Then I returned to work and he spent a good part of the winter putting it all together.
Mine took longer because I was working 60 hour weeks so I had to do it all in the evenings and on Sundays, and since I had a stroke a lot of things aren't as easy as they used to be.
I'm using RC on mine and so far haven't had any shutdown issues. If I do I'll probably add the track-mate hardware.
I initially drew mine without an over pass  but was encouraged from several directions to include one so I se did it and am happy with the result. If you do, don't forget about blind spots, not only from your height perspective but look at it from a taller viewpoint and a not as tall viewpoint. If you're going to end up with a blind spot try to make that a strait section of track. At Al's track we were limited by space and ended with a curve under the overpass which can be an issue for some. Bill's had a blind spot under his that he built a raised platform for, but after a racer fell off of it, it became a shelf. The taller racers had a bit more advantage after that
Between us in the group we should have all of the tools you would need so don't buy anything unless you wanted them for other things.
If you can't decide between tape or braid, route it for tape first you can always reroute it for braid later but you can't go the other way.

5 (edited by Wanabgts January 22, 2019 1:44 pm)

Thanks for the insight guys, I had not thought about the crossover from the stand point of lane length. Makes sense. I am however still thinking a large mostly flat layout would make my life a lot easier for the first time. Only having a couple seams to contend with sounds like it would be a nice way to go.

I can see where planning would help a lot. My gut tells me I would do best by just building the table, and drawing something up. I like the idea of using a flex strip and trying to do the corners somewhat organically. Seems like it would be more "realistic" and possibly add some challenges.

I have space for a pretty large layout I think, I will have to measure it out.

Thanks for all the offers to borrow specialized equipment, I may take you up on it once I get my research sorted!

Zack

Plan?..........drawing?..............hmmmmm..............I've never tried that!

If you're thinking flat you should go out and see Monte's. It's flat with no overpass. Then see Stan's, it's mostly that with an overpass. Two more options, both lots of fun.

8 (edited by howie January 22, 2019 10:05 pm)

I will throw in my .02 cents worth. I have been racing for awhile, I have been on all kinds of tracks. There are many things I have learned in my yrs. One of the big things I have witnessed is the home court advantage, in other words a hard track to drive with twists and turns and humps etc. designed by the track owner to his advantage, and he usually wins. The problem with that ( other than being boring to me as the track owner always wins ) is that it discourages new racers. You can still throw an S curve in for a little fun and excitement, but try to have an easy flow to the whole track. Racers come to Rapid Raceway knowing they have a chance of winning and it is a fairly easy track to learn, that to me is a + for the track, and that is what I wanted in my design.

Good luck to you.

One of the guys in my old club decided it would be "fun and challenging" to have squeeze areas on his track, where the slots were close together and passing wasn't possible. One of those two things was correct; but it wasn't the FUN part. A track that's got a few tight curves and maybe some esses is great, but remember that the fun comes from RACING, not from constantly trying not to crash into somebody else.

For example:

http://www.farroutslotcars.com/portals/0/images/tracks/bruce/DSC_0059.JPG

I have Luf's kit: a tape laying tool and a lexan strip with the nail holes drilled in it. It should make constructing a track super easy.

My track was quick and dirty- it was the first one I ever made and I built it in less than a week to fit a specific (small) space in the house using, um..., "experimental" materials for a router guide.  It worked OK but needed a bit of massaging to be presentable.  At this point I have tweaked it enough to host a race night or three and it has played to fairly positive reviews by the participants.

All the suggestions above are spot on- figure out your intentions (race hosting vs. tuning and development), think about your space available and the sight lines/marshalling requirements, commit to a layout, buy some lumber, borrow a router and track kit, and get to it.  Depending on its size and how much time you can throw at it, it's possible to knock them out in a reasonable timeframe.  They are actually pretty easy to build and they are super fun to run on.

As as Bill alluded to above, I am planning a new track build now that I have "finished" my basement and would be looking to pass along my current track to anyone who might be interested (keeping my power supply, driver stations, etc... though).  Odds are it will just get tossed, but if you're interested it would possibly re-shuffle my other domestic projects.

Chris

ckouba wrote:

I have Luf's kit: a tape laying tool and a lexan strip with the nail holes drilled in it. It should make constructing a track super easy.

My track was quick and dirty- it was the first one I ever made and I built it in less than a week to fit a specific (small) space in the house using, um..., "experimental" materials for a router guide.  It worked OK but needed a bit of massaging to be presentable.  At this point I have tweaked it enough to host a race night or three and it has played to fairly positive reviews by the participants.

All the suggestions above are spot on- figure out your intentions (race hosting vs. tuning and development), think about your space available and the sight lines/marshalling requirements, commit to a layout, buy some lumber, borrow a router and track kit, and get to it.  Depending on its size and how much time you can throw at it, it's possible to knock them out in a reasonable timeframe.  They are actually pretty easy to build and they are super fun to run on.

As as Bill alluded to above, I am planning a new track build now that I have "finished" my basement and would be looking to pass along my current track to anyone who might be interested (keeping my power supply, driver stations, etc... though).  Odds are it will just get tossed, but if you're interested it would possibly re-shuffle my other domestic projects.

Chris

Thanks everyone for the advice. Chris, I may take you up on borrowing the router kit when I decide to pull the trigger. I am going to spend some time reorganizing the garage and see what I can fit in there comfortably.

Right now I was leaning toward having it for just tuning and practice and maybe an occasion race, the club schedule is pretty packed as it is with Bill's coming online it will be even more so.

I plan on doing a somewhat simple layout that just includes all the usual turn you are likely to encounter. A sweeper, hairpin, esses, and of course a decent a straight!

If my time investments continue to mount Chris I will contact you seriously about re-homing your track!

Zack

Zack, if holding club races is something you're interested in, don't let the number of tracks around influence your reason for the track build. Through the years NASTE racers have experienced times where there were so many tracks there were only one or maybe two races on any one track during the official point series season. Scheduling can be worked out to accommodate racing at a lot of different tracks! My philosophy has always been, the more the better!

Like Mitch I drew a few plans.I chose this one because it has the same number of left and right turns with very close to the same average radiuses. All lanes are close to the same length but drive differently. I could not do that without an overpass and I could get more length in the space with the overpass. Blind spots are a problem but if they're not too long it doesn't take long to learn how to compensate for them. Too Bad and Rapid Raceway both have,had overpasses with blind spots and are awesome tracks. I have the tools I used,mostly homemade and you are welcome to borrow them. Depending on the time of year ( winter early spring) I have time to lend a hand. I hope Bill finds his taping tool, it save much time and frustration if you go with copper tape.

Al, I think your track is great use of the space you have. I definitely understand the desire to have the lane lengths pretty close, in theory this should provide the closest racing.

I was simply thinking of a larger simple layout because I have a large 2 car garage that I never have cars in. (all my toys sit at my shop). Plus I was thinking that this would reduce the complexity of building it for my first track.

I would like to have it up against the wall, so I think only going 4' deep is probably the best bet, but I could have an "L" layout something like 20 long and 4 on the short side....I think.

How much track feet are you guys running before doing power taps?

Zack

16 (edited by Mitch58 January 23, 2019 2:18 pm)

Mine is 69' with the main power plus two taps, so I have power about every 23'.
I was able to run all of the 1/32 scale cars with C130 and FK 180 motors off of one power tap without any apparent issue, but the 1/24 scale cars with 16D motors really suffered about halfway around the track. The older Monograms and Over 50 cars also. We probably would have had to push Al's Cheetah around the far end.

Zach, one thing to consider about an "L" shaped track is visibility. If you are considering an "L" shape with the long side up against a wall as well as the short side, you will have the potential for a really bad blind spot. This is due to the need for turn marshals to go into the inside of the "L" to re-slot cars. My last track was an "L" shape, but with the driver's stations located on the outside of the "L"'s longside (the cars travelled away from the drivers or towards them when negotiating the "short side"). Configured like this, for the most part, turn marshals did not block drivers line of sight when turn marshalling.

When it comes to power taps on a track, I consider lap length, the type of power or power supply, and the types of cars to be raced, and the number of lanes the track has. Any track with a lap length of over 40 feet I would break into quarters with a power tap in each quarter. My last track had a lap length of 84 feet and I used four power taps spaced equally around the track. My HO track has a lap length of approximately 30 feet and I used two taps spaced half around. My considerations for power taps are probably overkill, but I have raced on many tracks with "power issues" and it is really a fun killer! With that said, the track I just got has only two power taps and all reports were that it was just fine. Let your conscience be your guide, knowing that too many is WAY better than not enough!

My track is a little over 65 feet long. I put in four power taps just under 15 feet apart. I was running cars on it with just one when I first put it together before I got the wiring completed just to try it.Like Mitch  said it didn't make a noticeable difference with most of the 1/32 cars but some of my Over 50 cars would hardy move at the places farthest from the power tap. Like Bill , I thought too many is better than not enough.

Thanks guys!

Regarding the visibility. My vision is that the drivers station would be on the outside of the short "L" leg, have the view down the long portion of the track. I feel like as long as the track isn't too high, you should be able to see the full distance just fine, especially if I don't have a lot of obstructions from elevations and overpasses.

I appreciate all the input. I am getting motivated to make this happen. I realized I could probably get the thing going really easily on my RC Battery Power supplies, and one of my chargers will even work as a voltage and amperage regulator. So that is one expensive item to tick off the list to get going!

Zack

Wanabgts wrote:

Thanks guys!

Regarding the visibility. My vision is that the drivers station would be on the outside of the short "L" leg, have the view down the long portion of the track. I feel like as long as the track isn't too high, you should be able to see the full distance just fine, especially if I don't have a lot of obstructions from elevations and overpasses.

Zack

That sounds like a good plan Zack! Short leg or long leg on the outside should be fine!