51 (edited by docdoom January 2, 2019 6:15 pm)

Re: What's up?

what the hell indeed maybe I had to much to drink.. not sure what was going on there..  I though I was posting a reply to Bill's junk.my bad.

The secondnidator

Definitely fits better under Bill's Junk Doc!!!!

53 (edited by howie January 15, 2019 11:36 am)

For those of you who may want an Indy car ( or another one ) that we are racing at Rapid and probably at InSlot Checkered Flag raceway in the future, I have a new kit hanging in the parts bin. John Gill brought it over and wants $49.00. The price for a new one does not get any better than that. If interested give me a call: 503-252-7692.

You built my Indy car and it is still here .... minus gears and tires.  What was the recommended 48 pitch gears ... 8 - 34 for the Hawk motor?   Also will you have front and rear tires available?

I have a lot of rear Indy tires as of yesterday. I have no front tires as the car came with them and they don't wear out like the rears.

I think my Indy fronts are on my BW Nascar? I now have built about 9 or 10 cars for Oregon style racing over the years ... and it gets confusing what's on what.  I even have a Modena car built for an enduro at Bob's a few years ago.

57 (edited by howie January 27, 2019 10:23 pm)

It was suggested last night ( Jan. 26, 2019 ) during the BS session after the race to have a chassis building session with the Sportsman chassis.

If there is anyone interested we could schedule it during the off season.

The Sportsman class is a very popular class, I would not be surprised if it was voted in to race in the up coming 2020 season which will start in Oct. 2019.

Here it is y'all, a chance to get a chassis to use in the many different classes open to Bob Hanna's original Econo Car design! We race this type of chassis a lot at Howie's Rapid Raceway. They are a simple chassis and extremely fun to race! I am planning to attend the building session so I can build another one!

59 (edited by howie January 28, 2019 9:20 am)

Also Bill, I didn't mention the fact that the Early Modified is a direct copy of the Sportsman chassis. So if a person wants to build an Early Modified chassis instead it will be included in the session. If a person wants to build both chassis, that is fine.

Early Modified is also a popular class, we are racing them as a back up race to NASCAR for the second half of this season. Open wheel excitement!

Will there be a purchase option for non-attendees?

"Big Smooth"

I'd be interested in that building session !

Possible Monte. I already have an Econo car chassis so my build would be an extra.

I have one, maybe two.

"Big Smooth"

HEY, you're holdin' out!

howie wrote:

Also Bill, I didn't mention the fact that the Early Modified is a direct copy of the Sportsman chassis. So if a person wants to build an Early Modified chassis instead it will be included in the session. If a person wants to build both chassis, that is fine.

Early Modified is also a popular class, we are racing them as a back up race to NASCAR for the second half of this season. Open wheel excitement!

Howie, I don't understand your (direct copy) comment above? 

I just got a AMT 1937 Chevy body kit and trying to figure out how I am going to custom build a chassis to fit the body .... along with wire bumpers front and rear. My Sportsman chassis is not even close to use for this Early Modified class.

66 (edited by howie February 6, 2019 12:47 pm)

Dennis;   You take the plans of the Sportsman chassis and copy them to fit the Early Modified body of your choice. Yes they are going to be narrower and probably shorter to fit said body, but it is a copy.

Your Sportsman chassis is a home built chassis made by you. It is not a copy of the Bob Hanna chassis that we are using for the Sportsman class. I can see why you are questioning my remarks as "a copy of the Sportsman chassis" because yours is way off the mark, it is legal, but not what I had in mind when I made my statement.

The chassis class will copy the Bob Hanna chassis.

Dennis, talk to Beau he made me one by cutting up an H&R chassis and making it articulate. It runs fantastic.

Mitch58 wrote:

Dennis, talk to Beau he made me one by cutting up an H&R chassis and making it articulate. It runs fantastic.

Thanks,  but I also have a nice chassis sitting here built by Beau .... apparently for a 34 Ford.  I'm getting good ideas from looking at it. It won't fit my 37 Chevy body so I have to start another one from scratch and give this one back to Ted who has been trying to help me get involved in these classes.

I need to learn to make these, then teach myself to scale them down to 1/32.

I've started three more cars for Howie's then got to trying finish my track and the cars are still on the bench.

Fellow racers; due to the fact that my weather forecast for Sat. the 9th. of Feb. shows nothing but snow, snow and more snow, I have decided that it is better to be safe than sorry so I have decided to cancel the race for that day. We will see whether that forecast comes true or not!

I will try to make up the race before the season runs out.

I can see the news crews already in there mobile trucks sitting on a overpass with trusty ruler measuring the snow depth.

The secondnidator

72 (edited by dc dynamo February 22, 2019 2:47 pm)

My Weller 80 watt soldering iron has been acting up lately. The tip usually fits fairly snugly in the ceramic holder but when I heated it up the last time,  it was stuck in the holder and would not come out. Apparently a corrosion buildup. So while hot I shot WD40 in there to hopefully break up the corrosion then took pliers to the heating element and twisted gently at first .... then aggressively to get some results. Instead of coming loose, I managed to twist the ceramic holder out of the coiled wire holder.  I tapped lightly on it a hundred times and the round ceramic insulator cracked into 2 parts but I finally got the iron free!  After things cooled off I wire brushed the coiled wire and attempted to insert the ceramic pieces back in the coil. It worked and held together fine.

Then I heated up the iron again and ran the jaws of the pliers gently around the base of the iron tip to remove slag that has built up.  Sometimes a wire brush will do the job ... but not this time. Time now to recondition the tip by bathing it with new solder and squeezing several drops from a small syringe of soldering acid to activate the re-coating procedure.  The tip is looking good again and getting very hot ... but some joints require a heat gun blast first to get brass plate and wire hot before attempting to solder.

Note to self .... don't leave the iron on for long periods ... and recondition the tip often with solder and acid bathing!

Fellow racers; I would like to announce that Bob Nakamura is taking over the parts department that John Gill ran for years. Bob will be bringing parts to the races at Rapid as he attends the races. I believe this will work out well. Thanks to John for the parts department that he set up and has supplied the parts for us all these yrs.

Okay, I added weight to my chassis and re-soldered the wires, I am ready for a rematch.

"Stuff" happens Mitch! Looking forward to your return with the repairs you made to your Early Modified.