Topic: NASTE 2019 Point Series Championship - Results & Standings

NASTE 2019 Point Series Championship Race No.1 @ Rippin' Ridin' Raceway October 25, 2018

Race Results - Can Am Class:

1 Al 75.1 Laps - 10 points
2 Daniel   73.2 - 9 pts.
3 Rico   68.9 - 8 pts.
4 Monte   68.7 - 7 pts.
5 Bill  68.4 - 6 pts.
6 Mitch  68.0 - 5 pts.
7 Gary  67.8 - 4 pts.
8 Greg   65.2 - 3 pts.
9 Stan  62.6 - 2 pts.
10 Terry Redeau  58.3 - 1pt.

Current Standings for the 2019 NASTE Point Series Championship After 1 Race:

1st Al 75.1 Laps - 10 points
2nd Daniel   73.2 - 9 pts.
3rd Rico   68.9 - 8 pts.
4th Monte   68.7 - 7 pts.
5th Bill  68.4 - 6 pts.
6th Mitch  68.0 - 5 pts.
7th Gary  67.8 - 4 pts.
8th Greg   65.2 - 3 pts.
9th Stan  62.6 - 2 pts.
10th Terry Redeau  58.3 - 1pt.

Re: NASTE 2019 Point Series Championship - Results & Standings

NASTE 2019 Point Series Championship Race No.2 @ Rippin' Ridin' Raceway November 1, 2018

Race Results - Le Mans Class:

1 Al 70.8 Laps - 9 points
2 Monte   70.0 - 8 pts.
3 Daniel   69.7 - 7 pts.
4 Jeff   69.3 - 6 pts.
5 Gary  67.8 - 5 pts.
6 Rico  67.1 - 4 pts.
7 Bill  66.8 - 3 pts.
8 Mitch   64.0 - 2 pts.
9 Stan  60.1 - 1 pt.

Current Standings for the 2019 NASTE Point Series Championship After 2 Races:

1st Al - 19 points
2nd Daniel  - 16 pts.
3rd Monte  - 15 pts.
4th Rico  - 12 pts.
5th - tie Bill  - 9 pts.
5th - tie Gary  - 9 pts.
7th Mitch  - 7 pts.
8th  Jeff - 6 pts.
9th - tie Greg   - 3 pts.
9th - tie Stan  - 3 pts.
11th Terry Redeau  - 1pt.

NASTE 2019 Point Series Championship Race No.3 @ Rippin' Ridin' Raceway November 15, 2018

1 Monte 77.4 Laps - 8 points
2 Rico   72.8 - 7 pts.
3 Al   72.0 - 6 pts.
4 Fernando  69.7 - 5 pts.
5 Greg  65.0 - 4 pts.
6 Mitch  63.7 - 3 pts.
7 Stan  60.0 - 2 pts.
8 Daniel   57.9 - 1 pt.

Current Standings for the 2019 NASTE Point Series Championship After 3 Races:

1st Al - 25 points
2nd Monte  - 23 pts.
3rd Rico  - 19 pts.
4th Daniel  - 17 pts.
5th Mitch  - 10 pts.
6th - tie Bill  - 9 pts.
6th - tie Gary  - 9 pts.
8th Greg   - 7 pts.
9th Jeff - 6 pts.
10th - tie Stan  - 5 pts.
10th - tie Fernando  - 5 pts.
12th Terry Redeau  - 1pt.

NASTE 2019 Point Series Championship Race No.4 @ Rippin' Ridin' Raceway November 29, 2018

1 Monte 69.4 Laps - 8 points
2 Al   69.3 - 7 pts.
3 Rico   68.8 - 6 pts.
4 Daniel  68.7 - 5 pts.
5 Fernando  66.2 - 4 pts.
6 Greg  63.9 - 3 pts.
7 Stan  58.7 - 2 pts.
8 Jeff   47.3 - 1 pt.

Current Standings for the 2019 NASTE Point Series Championship After 4 Races:

1st Al - 32 points
2nd Monte  - 31 pts.
3rd Rico  - 25 pts.
4th Daniel  - 22 pts.
5th - tie Mitch  - 10 pts.
5th - tie Greg   - 10 pts.
7th - tie Bill  - 9 pts.
7th - tie Gary  - 9 pts.
7th - tie Fernando  - 9 pts.
10th - tie Jeff - 7 pts.
10th - tie Stan  - 7 pts.
12th Terry Redeau  - 1pt.

5 (edited by docdoom December 1, 2018 7:43 pm)

Don't look now Al but I think Montie has bad thoughts on having that Naste Trophy find a  new home...

The secondnidator

I got the yellow paint ordered for my track !!

No need to paint. just need to have these playing on repeat loop all race long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2uTFF_3MaA

The secondnidator

NASTE 2019 Point Series Championship Race No.5 @ Rippin' Ridin' Raceway December 13, 2018

1 Chris 78.9 Laps - 10 points
2 Monte   77.0 - 9 pts.
3 Al   72.7 - Fastest lap to break tie - 8 pts.
4 Mitch  72.7 - 7 pts.
5 Rico  70.1 - 6 pts.
6 Bill  68.6 - 5 pts.
7 Stan  65.3 - 4 pts.
8 Jeff   61.3 - 3 pts.
9 Zack  59.7 - 2 pts.
10 Jake  58.8 - 1 pt.

Current Standings for the 2019 NASTE Point Series Championship After 5 Races:

1st - tie Al - 40 points
1st - tie Monte  - 40 pts.
3rd Rico  - 31 pts.
4th Daniel  - 22 pts.
5th Mitch  - 17 pts.
6th Bill  - 14 pts.
7th Stan  - 11 pts.
8th - tie Greg   - 10 pts.
8th - tie Jeff - 10 pts.
8th - tie Chris - 10 pts.
11th - tie Gary  - 9 pts.
11th - tie Fernando  - 9 pts.
13th Zack - 2 pts.
14th - tie Terry Redeau  - 1pt.
14th - tie Jake - 1 pt.

So I have been thinking about how we score points and want to throw these out there and see what you all think about it for next year. Going be like f1 and only the top 8 score points. 10 points for 1st.9 for 2nd and so on.and one point for fastest lap of the race. What do you all think good bad or put a sock in it doc...

The secondnidator

Through the years of NASTE, and with the HO club I was involved with in the 80's,  I've experimented with various scoring systems for point series racing. My first question is; what would be the reason to change to a different point system?

I finally settled on, and stayed with the current system for a few reasons. 1. It is one of the easiest systems to use for scoring. 2. It is one of the fairest systems of scoring. A racer gets 1 point for every other racer he beats in a race. At the end of the season a racer's score tells the whole story. Their total is exactly how many other racers they beat in races to win the championship. 3. A racer gets more points for wins where the race had more competitors he had to beat. 4. In a race where the top finishers are basically the only racers to score points, a racer can achieve the exact same number of points for a win where they only have to beat say 6 other racers, as a racer who has to beat 20 other racers. The points have no equality in relation to the number of competitors in any given race. 5. If a competitor has a bad race and falls below the point cut off of the top finishers, he loses more points to the leader. I.e. let's say the points leader finishes 9th in a field of 12, he only gets 1 point, same as 10th through 12th, but he still beat three other racers. 6. And lastly, I have NEVER seen where scoring differently for a point series has ever made a difference in the outcome! I have had racers question the scoring systems I have used in the past. At the end of the season I have re-scored the entire championship, ALL the races, and re-totalled the finish. It has NEVER made a difference in the final outcome. The point totals may come out different, but the racer that won still always won. The biggest difference was in how close the point totals were. Some may question that, but I challenge anyone to go back through a season, re-assign the points using other values, and re-tabulate the finish scores. No matter how you count it the winners still win regardless of the total numbers.

To me what makes a little more sense is to allow racers to throw out one or two races each season. This brings the point totals in closer and gives racers a chance to recover if they have a really bad race, or just plain miss a race.

With all that said, I am not opposed to using a different numbering system. Just tell me what you guys want and I'll be happy with it.

"if it is not broken-leave it alone". My $0.01 worth!

wb0s wrote:

Some may question that...

The only thing I'd question is Bill's math skills, but we can have Caitlin check the numbers.

But seriously, I am good with how we currently score the championship as well.  My opinion is that it's not broke.  At one point I was also in favor of also throwing out a bad night or two per season, but it was more a selfish thing as I knew there were few nights I wouldn't make it and didn't want to lose ground on those nights. 

I can see that changing it to the top 8 might prevent someone from falling too far behind if they miss a night where 18 people show up, but the members who put together the effort to show up consistently should also be rewarded for it. 

CK

One can make the argument that a racer may not fall as far behind due to a bad night, but by the same token it could impede process in making up lost ground. Any position below the top eight down to the last placing competitor result in points lost. All racers below the top eight are scored the same as if their finish position counts for nothing. Look at it from a new racer's perspective, if you're not in the top eight you're just another loser.

I feel in the NASTE point series EVERY racer should get credit for the races they compete in. competition is so good and close now I feel good if I place in the top ten. I should get credit for it if I do. At the end of the season I do not want to see 10 racers tied for last place.

We all know my math skills can be questionable, what I do know is the most consistent racers will STILL win regardless of what value you put on the points awarded for finish positions. The relationship between the point totals will change, but not the relationship between the racer's finish positions.

As an example of the above, I think it was two years ago I finished first in the classic sports car class without winning a single race, just by finishing fairly well through out the season.

I won the championship one year without winning a single race. I had many second place finishes (the Doc approach to success)!

16 (edited by Over 50 Al December 17, 2018 1:45 pm)

I agree with Goose , It ain't broke !

If the objective is to limit point losses due to absences, I would suggest only counting a portion of the total races scheduled towards the championship. This year there are 19 races scheduled, as an example the official tally could consist of a racer's best 16 races (or whatever number of races the group decides upon). We have used this method before, throwing out one or two races. Changing the point values will not fix the absence issue. Lost points are lost points no matter what the value. You can't make up what you've lost.

It's up to the group, I'm fine with whatever is decided in regards to scoring.

I say the reward should go to the people who show up.  Odds are that dropping x round(s) from the tabulations won't make things all that much different. 

On the flip side, I can honestly say that if it meant someone who showed up and raced every time got beaten by someone who didn't based on the drop(s), I'd be disappointed.

19 (edited by docdoom December 18, 2018 7:31 pm)

So these was my thought behind what I posted. if one did miss a race or two the worst that person would loose was 10 point max for the race. Not missing a race and finding that all the racers came out of the wood works and instead of only trying to make up 10 points he finds that he has 15 20 or what the head count was that night. so saying that, if one a had the perfect season and won every race the max he could collect would be 190 points in race wins and if we did the fast lap another 19 points. also one would have a better ideal on what they would have to do catch some one or hold onto what they have.  just my two cents. also the guys out of the top 8 could still be award one point.

The secondnidator

Personally Doc, I just don't see this as an equitable system for our slot racing. If I am really putting forth the effort to be competitive in the point series, and I show up at a race with say 15 participants, and I'm having a difficult night and after my first heat it is obvious to me I will not be in the top eight, what's my incentive to stick around? I'm done, I might as well pack it up, I don't even have a chance of salvaging a couple of points. I will be scored the same as last place. Or let's say I show up at a race and there are only 6 racers. Let's say half of them are new guys. All I have to do is beat two skilled racers and three newby's to get a full 10 points, versus a race with 15 participants where I might have to beat a dozen veteran racers. With this system I see where it is just as possible to get further behind and possibly even harder to try and catch up. These types of issues led me to the scoring system we currently use. Bottom line is; if you're really good you might be able to recover missing one race. But most likely, if you miss one or two races and your competition does not, you will never catch up. You just can't make up what you never got. No matter how you try to manipulate the point assessments it won't pencil out. A system of scoring a percentage of the total races towards the championship, is the only reasonable way to allow for racer's absences from a race or races. In an effort to lessen the point penalty for racers that don't show up to a race, you are creating a point penalty for a percentage of the racers that do show up.

This obviously needs more discussion and maybe a vote? Next race at Al's on the 27th?

Yes it just a discussion.that's what nice about running with you all. We can have good debate and things  Don't get ugly.  Party on. And marry Christmas to all.

The secondnidator

Thanks Doc, we've had many conversations about making various changes through the years. Usually the outcome results in improvements to our racing. Personally I've had more ideas shit canned than implemented!

Merry Christmas!

NASTE 2019 Point Series Championship Race No.6 @ Rippin' Ridin' Raceway December 27, 2018

1 Monte 70.7 Laps - 10 points
2 Daniel   70.5 - 9 pts.
3 Rico   69.4 - 8 pts.
4 Al  68.5 - 7 pts.
5 Bill  67.3 - 6 pts.
6 Jeff  67.0 - 5 pts.
7 Zack  61.4 - 4 pts.
8 Mitch   57.9 - 3 pts.
9 Bryan Dickerson  56.0 - 2 pts.
10 Jake  49.8 - 1 pt.

Current Standings for the 2019 NASTE Point Series Championship After 6 Races:

1st Monte - 50 points
2nd Al  - 47 pts.
3rd Rico  - 39 pts.
4th Daniel  - 31 pts.
5th - tie Mitch  - 20 pts.
5th - tie Bill  - 20 pts.
7th Jeff - 15 pts.
8th Stan  - 11 pts.
9th - tie Greg   - 10 pts.
9th - tie Chris - 10 pts.
11th - tie Gary  - 9 pts.
11th - tie Fernando  - 9 pts.
13th Zack - 6 pts.
14th - tie Jake - 2 pt.
14th - tie Farmer Bryan Dickerson - 2 pts.
16th Terry Redeau  - 1pt.

24 (edited by docdoom December 28, 2018 11:31 am)

Think you have the results wrong for last nights race.going to have re write your home page race report.I'm sure Al would of been happy with a 2nd in the points race

The secondnidator

docdoom wrote:

Think you have the results wrong for last nights race

Oops.........you are correct sir, thank you!

Corrections made!

.........copy/paste operator malfunction................