Topic: Checkered Flag Raceway to Move to Vancouver

Since the completion of my shop I have been working on plans for a new slot car track. I have been looking at the possibility of acquiring an existing track and moving it, as well as building a new track. A few weeks ago I began talking with Bob McFarland about the possibility of buying his Checkered Flag 1/24 track. Today I received a call from Bob, telling me the track is mine!

Checkered Flag is a 1/24 four lane routed track originally built by Kirk Smith. OSCAR and PASER have been holding races on this track since it was built, at its previous location in Milwaukie as well as its current location in Aurora. I am excited about getting this track and setting it up in my shop in Vancouver. I look forward to the opportunity to host races for OSCAR, PASER, Northwest True Scale Racers, NASTE, and any other club interested in racing on it. This track is perfectly suited for racing all types of cars and it will be fun for me to host a large variety of car classes. I am not particular as to what types of slot cars I race because I like them all. I admit there are some I like better than others but I have just always enjoyed racing whatever the type of car.

In the next few days I am planning to go to Aurora and start the work necessary to get the track ready to move. I will be asking for volunteers to help with the actual move in the near future. Standby for updates!

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/checkeredflagvan.jpg

Re: Checkered Flag Raceway to Move to Vancouver

That is great news indeed Bill. Let me know if you need help. moving That is just down from my shop in Canby

The secondnidator

Thanks Doc, I'll keep you posted!

4 (edited by stumbley December 10, 2018 2:48 pm)

Willing to help as well, Bill, just need to have an open date when you need me. (And being retired, I have a lot of "open dates.")  Looks like a great track!

Thanks Stan. Wednesday I'm going down to take another look, get some measurements, and start on the preliminary disassembly in preparation for the move. I should know more after that.

Excellent!!  Too Bad II will finally be coming together.

I've got a van and also know where Aurora is....

Does it need a new name?  Checkered Past?

Will there be a contest to name the track?

"Big Smooth"

Bill: I'll be out of the state from 12/17-1/5 or so. But free pretty much after that.

Thanks guys for all the offers of help! I'm sure I'll be hittin' y'all up when it comes to move time!

New name?.....Well I have a couple ideas there.........although Checkered Past is kinda cool! What I have in mind has kind of a long story to it. It would pay tribute to the track's past as well as to the original builder. It also looks as though there may be two tracks here, the Checkered Flag track as well as my old HO routed track. I have been considering a new racing format for the old HO track. The idea is something totally different than what I raced on the track previously.

More to come!

Two tracks! Shoulda built a bigger shop! You know I'm free to help with the move.

Thanks Terry!...and YES, a bigger shop would have been better!.........but that was NOT an option. Given our lot size, I could not have gone even one foot bigger in any direction........well except, UP!.....maybe.......that of course would have been up to city approval.............another separate obstacle!

Don't push your luck.be glad they even made it out to look at it.the rest was just icing on the

The secondnidator

Made a recon trip to Aurora today to formulate a plan to move the track. The track is solidly constructed with the MDF track surface mounted on a 2" x 4" framework, 4" x 4" legs, and a plywood subsurface. The track will come apart in two large pieces and one small piece. The plan is to move the track with the legs attached, using Howie's enclosed car trailer and possibly a U-Haul type truck. The wiring is all clearly color coded with nice connectors at attachment points. It should be possible to move the track without the need to cut any of the wiring. The plan for the next visit is to start the actual disassembly. Today I was lacking some tools needed to start disassembling the track.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7331.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7332.jpg

These pictures are representative of the pieces the track will break down to for moving. This first example would be the larger of the two sections, which includes the bank. This piece measures 12' x 8'. The 180 degree turn at the end of the downhill from the bank detaches as a separate small piece. The spool of braid is sitting on this curve in the photo.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7329.jpg

This second piece will be this section, including both straights and the hairpin curve at the end. This piece is approximately 16' x 6'. We have verified this section will fit into Howie's covered car trailer.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7328.jpg

I believe the 12' x 8' section will be the heaviest. I tested the weight of the 16' x 6' section and it did not seem extremely heavy. I am hoping to get a bunch of guys on hand to help with loading and unloading. The more bodies the easier and simpler it will be!

When is this move happening? Were in Bend this weekend but I'll be glad to help when I'm not working.

I have plenty of time to plan a date for the actual move. I will be trying to get the track disassembled and ready to load in the next couple of weeks. I am thinking of waiting until the holidays are over to do the move. Probably just after the first of the year, weather permitting. I'll throw out some dates soon and see who can be available to help. I think I will need at least 8 guys to load the pieces, 10 would be better as each piece is BIG!

Or one Jedi.

"Big Smooth"

Have pick up will help !

Thanks Al!

Have bum leg will supervise and give moral support were needed.....
also have a small pickup can haul the beer and tailgating supplies.....

The secondnidator

A little history on this track: Kirk Smith built this track, he named it InSlot raceway. InSlot and Rapid Raceway each had their opening day on the same day. We raced at Rapid earlier in the day and all drove to Canby to race at InSlot later in the day. This took place around Sept. in 2002. Then after a few yrs. Bob McFarland got the track and named it Checkered Flag. Now Bill will be hosting races on it and it will be enjoyed by a wide variety of cars and slot car enthusiasts. The track is in very good shape and will not need much except a cleaning of the track surface and of course put back together witch will not be a big deal.

I am not happy as to why Bob had to give the track up, but I am happy that Bill will take it over and it will carry on as a very neat and well built track.

Thanks Doc, moral support and supervision is key to the success of any project...........

Thanks Howie for all your help and support in this endeavor!

I'm trying to coordinate a date for the track move. I think a Saturday or Sunday will work best because most of the guys work during the week. If you are interested in helping move the track, please send me an email with which day would work best for you. So far I am considering January 5th (Saturday), January 19th (a Saturday), or January 27th (a Sunday). So far these dates are just tentative as I have not yet verified transport vehicles.

I'd really like to get the move done before we go on vacation the first part of February, but if it doesn't work out I will have to set a date sometime after February 20th.

Thanks!

=======Bill

Depending on time of day, I should be able to help any of those days.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.