Re: Bill's Junk

DONE, thanks Doc!

Thought I'd post a note just to check in. We're in the new place as most of you already know. We're still working on getting stuff in the house and getting organized as well as making all those repairs and changes involved with acquiring a new home. All of my crap currently resides at 3 separate locations, most of it out of reach and unrecognizable do to cardboard camouflage. Between unpacking, setting stuff up, and repair work there has been little time to get anything done in regards to the shop build. I have only had one contractor submit a bid, and that was only for the concrete foundation. Evidently most every contractor around is too busy to commit to building my shop.

I'm missing the slot car racing and my racing friends. It was tough to get rid of my last track at the old place and that pretty much killed a lot of my enthusiasm for slot cars, at least for now. Hopefully once things get more settled and I can get to more of my slot car stuff I can get back into the swing of things. At this juncture time will tell........

I've got a track I can give you... and you already know you like it!

Well, I for one, certainly miss having you around and hope you find your enthusiasm again soon.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Thanks Rico.

Wish I had a place to put that track Chris!

I understand the problem with builders/contractors and this time of year.  I like to find workers via CraigsList or by personal recommendation.  It's always worked well in the past.  The deck replacement, tree and hedge removal, and replacement of all the windows are examples of CL gone well and most likely many dollars saved.  However, we were unable to find a reliable fence builder that both had time and gave us confidence.  We started checking late and most of them were booked well into the fall.  So, we finally tried one of the local pro outfits.  They came by the next day to give us an estimate.  Ten days later the fence was in.

We did spend a few dollars more, I think...  But, we got exactly what we wanted.  Some days price is not the end-all.

I hope you find a builder. that suits your needs. 

Or we could just all get together and have a good old fashioned barn raising.  Possibly followed by a good old fashioned barn razing...  Can a building with 4 walls be tougher to design and build than a winning downhill racer?

"Big Smooth"

Or we could just locate a bunch of old pallets and give Jack a call!!

Kinda brings a whole new meaning to Pallet-Jack...

"Big Smooth"

84 (edited by docdoom September 15, 2017 8:52 pm)

If you ever want to blow off some stream and play with some slot cars and not have to deal with pdx traffic   you know were  the place to go is. I do have Sunday And Mondays off. come on over to the dark side of slot car racing.

The secondnidator

Thanks Doc and I'd love to take you up on that offer, but right now I just have too much on my plate trying to get our new place put together. Still unpacking, painting, and making changes. I'm going over to Howie's today to bring our travel trailer home and touch base with the Rapid Raceway guys.

You know what all work and no play gets you right?

The secondnidator

I can't believe it has been almost 9 months since I last posted here. To bring everyone up to speed we finally got the shop built. The trim painting still needs to be completed, but other than that I have everything moved into the shop and have started building some benches and cabinets. It is so packed with all my crap I've decided to pack all the slot car stuff upstairs for storage for now. My original plan was to go through all the boxes, sort stuff and put it away as I went. I scrapped that idea when I realized I had no room to work or build anything! So if the box is marked slot car stuff and it's not too heavy to carry upstairs I don't even open it. I just carry it upstairs and stack it with the others. Some of the really heavy boxes I sort into a couple smaller boxes. It's like Bill Murray's Ground Hog Day, only moving style! At this point in time I am pretty sure if someone showed up with a U-Haul truck (a BIG one of course) and $5K in cash I'd help him load it all up and just say adios!

This is downstairs. I know it doesn't look like it, but this IS an improvement.................I think.........
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6496.jpg

This is the new "Room" upstairs..........it may look like this until the day I die......................
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6497.jpg

Some of this stuff actually looks kinda familiar......
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6500.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6501.jpg

So there you have it. The reason I am not around the racing scene. I miss everyone but right now my slot car enthusiasm is at an all time low. See ya all down the road.........

Na you just need the naste shop clean up crew to come over and help with the clean up.get 4 or 5 of use over make a big dent in Bill.

The secondnidator

89 (edited by docdoom June 2, 2018 2:56 pm)

Na you just need the naste shop clean up crew to come over and help with the clean up.get 4 or 5 bodys over  to make a big dent in Bill.

The secondnidator

Thanks Doc, but there isn't room for more than one person to even move around in there yet. They only way more people would help would be if they took stuff home with them, and I'm not quite frustrated enough to start giving stuff away.......

I'm thinking about getting a U-Haul. Wait, my place is already full!

I have finally reached the point in the "moving process" where I feel I can devote a little time to some of my hobbies. I can actually see some portions of the shop floor now, although I still have things to find a "home" for in the shop, as well as the need to "find" some specific tools and equipment which I use for those hobbies. But I have made progress. Just last week during one of the last nice days we had, I went out shooting with one of my new neighbors. The next day I readied one of my slot cars for the annual Rapid 500 race at my friend Howie's by painting up a new body. I couldn't find my supplies for painting slot car bodies so I improvised using some Rustoleum paint and masking tape I had on hand. It didn't turn out great but, it served the purpose. I had a great time at the race and look forward to getting back into the slot car racing scene. It has been a long 15 months!

Does that mean we will be  seeing  more of you at the raced Mr Bill ?

The secondnidator

I'm planning to start racing again. I found my controller (well one of them anyway) yesterday. It was in a box with my BRM cars. Now if I can just find cars for the classes being raced I'll be in good shape.

Good news indeed.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Thanks Rico!

wb0s wrote:

I'm planning to start racing again. I found my controller (well one of them anyway) yesterday. It was in a box with my BRM cars. Now if I can just find cars for the classes being raced I'll be in good shape.

yes it will good to see you out racing again. now if i could just get you to try the digital.

The secondnidator

He's done digital, he'll come.  I hope.

"Big Smooth"

Things are still pretty messy and unorganized in the shop, but I can see some of the floor and have a little bench room for a place to work and get some things accomplished. I have been able to get a couple cars together and attend the last two races at Rapid Raceway. As of now I have still been unable to locate the 1/32 cars I used for racing, so I picked up a couple new cars for the classes being raced in the first part of the NASTE point series. I am on schedule to make the first Odd Thursday point race as well as the NASTE Halloween race, so I am making some progress. I am looking forward to getting back into the racing. Now that things are a little more settled, I am trying to do a better job of reporting the races and getting photos for the NASTE website. Now if I could just find my slot car tools.............

HEAT!.............I test fired the space heater for the shop today. I purchased this one used and although it is as old as I am, it works perfectly. These old Siegler space heaters are awesome! Think your gas fireplace is cool? You got nothin' on this ol' heater! I paid $200 for this beauty, mostly because it is the smallest unit they made and very hard to find. These space heaters have a cast iron heat exchanger and are pretty much indestructible! This unit is all original with the original fan motor and gas controls. The input is 33,000 BTU and this one works flawlessly. I will be totally dialed in once I give it a good cleaning! Siegler made three different models of these space heaters, the 555, the 777, and the 333 which is the one pictured here. They have fan motors but will work without electrical power as the fan is optional. The thermostat is hydraulically controlled so they can supply heat in the event of a power outage. The 555s and 777s can usually be picked up for around $100 or less depending on condition, and defective controls can be retrofitted with newer parts. I know where there is a 555 at a good price if anyone is interested.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/img_7310.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/img_7311.jpg