Topic: Division II Classic Sports Car

Division II hasn't been getting much use, I know some have built cars for this but haven't had much chance to use them due to the popularity of the Division 1 cars. So for those that are interested I think I'll set one back up for our next Classic Sports Car race so you can dust them off or dig them out of the bottom of the box whatever the case may be, and you'll have at least one person to race against.

Re: Division II Classic Sports Car

What did you guys decide about restructuring this class? At a minimum it might be time to make the Division I and Division II their own class and rotate them accordingly?

wb0s wrote:

What did you guys decide about restructuring this class? At a minimum it might be time to make the Division I and Division II their own class and rotate them accordingly?

Uh, hey tough guy- you're the class sponsor.  What did YOU decide?

Hmmmm............I decided that I was going to leave it up to you guys.

If it were up to me I'd leave the Classic Sports Car Class with the Division I specs with one exception. I'd spec out a lower RPM motor. I'd change Division II to Modified Production Sports Car and spec it as whatever you guys deemed appropriate.

Mitch, are you saying the podded cars aren't getting their fair shake?  Div II is the bigger tire 18k class (although I think they're both 18k).  I think I ran mine last time and had some competition from Al?  Are you busting out the Jag or are you saying we need to go back to old school and run the flat chassis (Div I) cars?

6 (edited by Mitch58 September 25, 2017 5:39 am)

I've got my Slot It GT40 and a Racer GTO250 that I've never been able to make competitive in the Gt class, but have always liked driving them down motored as a classic sports car.

Then there is the Racer Maserati 450 that doesn't fit into any other class but is a blast to drive. I did some research to see if anyone ever ran it in USRRC, but found that the Maserati 250 was run but apparently not the 450.

The class still has the 18K motor, the only difference between class 1 and class II is a podded chassis and 8mm tires rather than 7mm tires.

I know you have a couple, and Al built one out of a Monogram Corvette, Now there is a 3D chassis available for the Scalextric L88 Corvette, which with it's wide stance could be made very competitive. I think several of the guys have podded cars laying around that don't get much action.

7 (edited by ckouba September 25, 2017 6:10 am)

I certainly wouldn't mind breaking them out into their own class.  I have fun cars for both categories.  Does this warrant a vote or something at the next Odd Thurs?

I would happily "borrow" that 250GTO to take a shot at making a GT runner out of it for you.

On the one hand, their own class would be nice, then they could be regularly run, but on the other hand not everybody might have a sports car with a podded chassis laying around. I'd hate to see anybody feel compelled to buy yet another car just to have something to run. That's the plus of leaving them combined.

For me personally I just like the feel of a podded car with an 18K motor, you feel like you can actually drive it around the track rather than just trying to hold on and hope for the best. But the better drivers might not feel the same way.

It would not be unreasonable to take another look at the classes and see how we feel about what they are and what we choose to run in response. 

Also how about competition classes for this next season? 

Mitch, where's that new track?  I can host a time or two out here but it seems ya'll don't like to drive to Hillsboro on week nights and I can't blame you.

"Big Smooth"

Mitch58 wrote:

On the one hand, their own class would be nice, then they could be regularly run, but on the other hand not everybody might have a sports car with a podded chassis laying around. I'd hate to see anybody feel compelled to buy yet another car just to have something to run. That's the plus of leaving them combined.

2 cents from a temporarily out-of-touch racer: Although the rules would spec a podded chassis, I see no reason why a racer could not race with an "un-podded" chassis if that was his only option. It would definitely NOT be an advantage. Might even create a challenge for some? Another option along the lines of how NASTE has always dealt with "rule infractions" could be implemented. Cars that do not fully "conform" to the rules are considered "non-compliant". As with the new racer "magnet rule", non-compliant cars could compete but would be officially scored as N/C. They would receive no official credit for their finish position or points in the case of the championship. If they were to win a race with a non-compliant car, that car at that point could be banned. We've had this system in place and I have used it a few times. It is not hard to implement.

11 (edited by Mitch58 December 23, 2017 7:53 am)

These both have after market chassis. This years 21.5K motor might be a bit much for the Alfa, they both run very smooth.

Monte, what's the issue with posting pictures?

I'm not aware there is one.

Picture test...

http://www.naste.org/members/monte/T-Slot-1.jpg

What do you mean?

"Big Smooth"

I must be doing it wrong, every time I try it says to contact you, or Host

Warning! The following errors must be corrected before your message can be posted:
•The server was unable to save the uploaded file. Please contact the forum administrator at monte@saagervision.com.