Topic: Rear tires for GT-1 etc.

by howie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:44 pm

As we all know the tires are getting expensive. $10.40 for a pair of rears for the GT-1 and other classes, this is at cost!!
So I have been fooling around with tire donuts. I got a couple from John and by the time I got them all trued up, they were just a hair over 1.0". These donuts are better suited for the small wheels that OSCAR runs.There was maybe but one race and they would be wore out. I checked out PCH and ordered 5 pair of what I thought would be the ticket. The center hole is .610". Diameter is a whopping 1.325". Width is .725". The center hole is perfect, just a little stretching to fit the wheel. A lot of diameter had to come off. I mounted them so there was plenty of over hang on both the front and back side so I could true up the side walls (they needed it bad) after I glued them on the wheels. I ended up with 1.090" diameter (I wanted 1.100" but went too far). The width is just a tad skinny for my taste at .630". I am happy with the results and will definately use these tires. I will put a couple pairs of these donuts in the parts dept. for a racer to try. $3.99 and a little time is worth it to me.
These are natural rubber drag tires. PCH part # is SF70100. $3.99 a pair and they did not charge for shipping. I don't know if this free shipping thing is just during the month of Dec. as some merchants do or if this is always the case.
Here is another thing I found out, I found two bent rims that I was going to use, (probably a crash or two!!) so make sure the rims are true before mounting, I chucked them.

Re: Rear tires for GT-1 etc.

by ftest821 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:34 am

Howie -
I agree tires are much too pricey. How is your experiment working out? Do your tires handle as well as the ProTracks? Have you come up with any other alternatives? Any other suggestions? Thanks
Rich V

by howie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:27 pm

Rich; I have a set on and ready to go. I will try them at the next race coming up this Sat. Mar. 30th.They should handle the same as they are the same rubber compound and after using my tire truer to bring them down to size, I think they will work quite well. I will let you know after this race.
I have not tried ( other than this ) to come up with anything else yet.

by ftest821 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks Howie,
I look forward to the results of the experiment
Rich

by howie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:21 pm

Rich; I did not race with these tires last night, however I did put in a lot of practice with them on 3 different GT-1 cars and put in enough laps to constitute a race. I am pleased that these tires performed as well as the Pro Track tires. I did not see any difference at all other than I accidently cut these tires narrower than the Pro Track, there was no significant difference in handling, but I think if these tires were left wider, it would enhance my way of driving. Bottom line: I will use these donuts in competition and will order more to replace my worn out Pro Tracks.
In my opinion, a person should have a tire truer to mount these donuts. Also, I used double stick tape to mount the donuts and I am still looking for a glue to use, I tried super glue and it was a total failure as the glue dried too fast and ruined the donut.

by ftest821 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:30 am

Howie,
Thanks
Rich

by howie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:59 am

Update on these tires: I have had them in the freezer in a tire container inside a zip lock bag. I took them out the other day and they felt like they dried out somewhat. My conclusion is if you take the time and effort to make these donuts work, then use them up asap. I keep my production tires in the freezer with no problems and some have been in there for years.

The previous posts to this topic were copied over from the Northwest True Scale Racers site with Howie's permission. The NTSR site is scheduled to close down at the end of this year. I will be copying over as much of the great information posted there as possible in the next few months.  =====Bill