Topic: 2017 NASTE Point Series Championship

New Championship Rules for 2017

NASTE Racing Guidelines and Championship Series Rules

Goal

To promote long-term participation in local slot car racing by following guidelines that promote fairness and friendly competition.

Assumptions

People participate in this activity for a variety of reasons. Any effective guideline must have some advantages for everyone, from the competitive scratch builder to the casual social participant. A good policy will be defined by its accepted use over time. Track owners are key to achieving this goal, as they can implement whatever policies or rules that they wish on their own property regardless of any guidelines.

NASTE Racing Guidelines

Race Events

Pre-Race Notice - Car classes, acceptable modifications and any other race requirements or special rules will be posted on the official NASTE website. Events elligible for Championship Series points, will be posted on the NASTE website calendar and the words “NASTE sanctioned” will appear in the race notice.

Awards – The winner of the series for 2017 will have their name engraved on the NASTE Point Series Championship trophy.
Results – Scores and race results will be posted on the NASTE website.

Corner Marshal – When not racing, racers are expected to take a turn at corner marshalling or otherwise providing support to the event.

Race Event Format and Venues

For 2017 NASTE Point Series Championship races will be held in conjunction with Odd Thursday Night races currently held at TooBad Motorplex and Rippin’ Ridin’ Raceway. One race per night will be a “points race”, normally the second class raced for the evening. The class of car raced for points on a particular night will be posted on the NASTE Calendar along with the race dates and track location.

The 2017 racing season will consist of one race held at each Odd Thursday Night Races starting on September 29, 2016, and ending on May 25, 2017, for a total of eighteen races.

Car Classes – Each Odd Thursday Night race event will include one race for points (the second race of the night). One class of car will be raced for six consecutive races, with points awarded corresponding to each racer’s finish position. To start the 2017 season the NASTE Trans Am Class will be raced for the first six races. Cars must be compliant to the rules listed on the NASTE website for the Odd Thursday Night Trans Am Class.

The next six races will be for the Le Mans Class of cars. All cars must be fully compliant with the rules listed for the Odd Thursday Night Le Mans Class.

The last six races will be held for Classic Sports Car Class cars. For the NASTE Point Series Championship the Classic Sports Car Class of cars must be compliant with the rules as listed for the Odd Thursday Classic Sports Car Class, Division I ONLY. Division II cars will NOT be legal for the point series championship. Specifically, legal cars will be limited to solid non-articulating chassis and 7mm maximum rear tire contact patch. 

Race Format – The second race of the night at the NASTE Odd Thursday Night Races will be raced for championship points. Each point race will be one round of racing with three minute heats. Racers will race one heat on each of the tracks lanes.

Championship Series Rules

NASTE Sanction - The words “NASTE sanctioned” will appear on race notices that earn Championship Series points. Casual, unposted or other races do not.

Points – Each Championship Series racer’s points will be tracked for the racer’s overall finish position in each race. Overall finish positions are based on the finish scores of all the participating racers. Racers have 30 days to challenge posted event results. After that it’s “too bad”.

Current NASTE Championship Series point standings will be posted for all to see on the NASTE website.

Racer’s scores from all of the NASTE Point Series races they participate in will count towards their final point total.

Points will be awarded as follows: One point will be awarded to each racer for each competitor they beat. For example: last place finisher gets 1 point, next to last finisher would get 2 points, and on up to the race winner. If there were 21 racers the winner would receive 21 points, if only 15 racers the winner would receive 15 points.

Re: 2017 NASTE Point Series Championship

For the last 20 years I have been the promoter and organizer for the NASTE Point Series Championship. For this season I have decided to move the championship to the Odd Thursday Night racing venues.

I have always felt that a racer's participation in this slot car hobby is just as important as the racer's finish position, or how well they can build a car. Anyone that puts forth the effort to attend events and participate deserves to be rewarded for that effort in addition to how they may finish the race. For those reasons ALL of the scheduled point series races will count towards a racer's final point total this year. There will be no "throw out" races. Since there are a total of 18 races for this years series, it is improbable to think most racers will make all the races. I feel those that do deserve the extra points.

There will be 3 classes of cars raced. Each class will be raced for 6 consecutive races before switching to the next class.

There will be no "sign up" for the series, and no "fees". I will be tracking points just as I did when NASTE first started. Everyone that races in the races designated as "Point Races" will be in the series. If you don't care, that's fine just ignore the stats. If you do care, good luck and have fun!

===============Bill

Since September 13 was actually a Tuesday this year does that mean we are starting tomorrow night 9/15? If so we should bring a trans am car? Or did you mean October 13th? Either way I'm ready, lets go.

My mistake Mitch, sorry!

The date of the first points race is September 29th. I made the correction to the original post.

Thanks Mitch!

To be honest, I was unsure how you could make make the switch from Sat/Sun to Thursdays and make it work fairly for all involved.  That being said, I really think you've nailed it, congratulations. I'm excited to get the season rolling and best of luck to all.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Thanks Rico. It will be interesting to see how the races progress. I will make adjustments if necessary, but I am optimistic at this point.

is that 6pm star time for all the races??

The secondnidator

Yes, just as it is now. The points races will be the second race of the evening. That should give everyone a chance to be there by the start of the point race.

We have one more race with the Trans Am cars in the 2017 NASTE Point Series Championship, then we move to the Le Mans Class. The cars will be raced according to the rules listed for the Odd Thursday Night races with the exception that front motored cars will NOT be raced in a separate division from the rear motored cars. For the Point Series Championship the Le Mans Class will NOT be separated into two divisions.

new season starts this Thursday. what  are the classes this year. anything new or same as last year????/

The secondnidator

The classes to be raced in the 2018 season are included in the race date details posted on the NASTE website calendar. For this year's championship more classes will be included in the rotation.

2018 Championship season info is also posted here: http://naste.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=942

Trans Am...  Does someone really like this class?

"Big Smooth"

I'm pretty sure MONTE does!

Monte: I enjoy the Trans/Am class of cars. May i please ask you what you feel is wrong with this class?

Sure.  It's Scaley cars that are unreliable with their pressed on plastic wheels and low quality bushings.  Repair parts can be difficult to source.  The guide blades...

I don't dislike the class, I dislike the cars we are stuck with to use in it.

So, I bought one...  buncha dastards...  maybe I can sell it once the season is over only to find we'll run them again next year and have to buy another one.

"Big Smooth"

Monte, I was never very fond of this class either, but for the last couple of months, my Camaro seems to be very fond of it. Three 1st place finishes in a row. It's about time for something to fall off.

kidvolt wrote:

Sure.  It's Scaley cars that are unreliable with their pressed on plastic wheels and low quality bushings.  Repair parts can be difficult to source.  The guide blades...

I don't dislike the class, I dislike the cars we are stuck with to use in it.

So, I bought one...  buncha dastards...  maybe I can sell it once the season is over only to find we'll run them again next year and have to buy another one.

But those problems are the same on every Scaley cars, not only with Trans Ams... Stock scalextric cars are useless without magnets  right out of the box...
I just bought a F1 car... removed the magnet ... damn, it looks like I'm running on ice! Literally...
That MG Sebring I ran last Thursday... chassis is bent... big gap on axle bushings... and with no magnet looks like that car has only 2 inline wheels lol

Well... but I guess thats the fun on slot car racing... is all about tunning!

You are correct.  It's the one brand I try not to have to purchase with a few exceptions.

"Big Smooth"