1 (edited by spankythemonk March 5, 2016 10:23 am)

Topic: Scalextric Triang F1 Restoration

Looking for some guidance on fixing up a Cooper. Its in great shape, just needs love.

a. It came with one rubber button for a tire. But I have the the Revell rims with Gage tires to match. They fit the axel nicely.
Thinking I can tap and thread on some nuts to the existing axel and have a pretty good rear end.

PunBB bbcode test

b. The front is really loose. Are the wheels supposed to move up and down a 1/4"? Thinking of JB welding in a solid axel for the front.

c. The guide is a single pin with track braid. Its actually not too bad considering.
But either change to the braid to something softer.
or refit with a drop arm that sticks out
or refit with a b-nova guide at the current pin location (it would be behind the front wheels)

d. It has a beautiful open cage motor that runs slow but solid. Why ruin a good thing?

The best project is the one I just started, and the one I just finished...

Thanks!
Jeff B
(BTW - I'm stocked and loaded for Thursday's. Really love having a 1/24 BRM. Too much fun!)

j. burns

Re: Scalextric Triang F1 Restoration

Hi Jeff,

A few ideas I've used before.

a. Sounds like you probably could thread the axle, or if the Reveel wheels are not threaded put press on you could possibly glue them on. Another option would be to swap out the rear axle for either a solid axle or a threaded axle (I have lots of threaded axles). Both of the axle swapping options would probably require replacing the crown gear also.

b. Do the front wheels rotate free on the front axle? If so I would think you could JB Weld the front axle in place, or you could JB Weld a pice of tubing in place and run the axle through the tubing so the whole assembly could rotate.

c. Personally I don't like the pin setups. I think the B-Nova guide would be a better option. Or you could use a pice of flat brass drilled with a hole for a Slot.it guide flag. The longer you can get your guide flag pivot from the rear axle centerline the better.

d. Yes, I would also go with the stock motor.

(BTW - just a reminder the Thursday races are on odd dated Thursday nights).   ========Bill

P.S. Were you at Al's race last Thursday 3/3? If so I posted the wrong Jeff in the results!

3 (edited by spankythemonk June 22, 2016 9:18 pm)

PunBB bbcode test
PunBB bbcode test

Got my rims JB Welded on... and the car went nowhere. Now that there's traction (super cool Gage tires attaches to who knows what aluminum rims), the motor gave up. It goes on a push start, but that's not gonna keep up with Mitch, Jeff, and Amy, and Monte will just have a field day with the heckling.

Monday was daddy daycare, and we went on a great adventure - We started at Northwest Magnets in the Missippi nieghborhood - they have a great selection of neo...brhmm...hmmm magents and a great friendly staff. But not the EXACT size I'm after. They also can't recharge a magnet, which I thought was this car's issue.

Off to Magnetic Specialties in Clackamas. They rebuild/build industrial magnets and have a rig for remagnitizing, so found what I was doing REALLY interesting because its sooo small. They said the magnet on the car was fine, but tried to charge it anyway, with no difference in the end. They also sent me away with a stack of pre neo-hmm-burm-pum magnets. I shimmed them into the old magnets slot. I got a runner!

SOOOO.... theres this guy in the uk that offers a Neodymium magnet that bolts right into an RX motor, Scalextric Car Restorations. I'm going to order here in the next couple weeks, and want to know if anybody want to join into an order.

Back to the photo's: I like the way the car looks now, just seems more right in the back end. Got myself a can of green paint... and a couple extra aluminum hubs and paul tires for the front... also jb'd in a guide mount.

j. burns

Interesting info on magnets! In the early eighties when the "rare earth" magnets first hit the slot car scene we were racing HO cars. A couple of use did a lot of experimenting and also visited a business that specialized in magnets. At the time it was located on southeast 52nd. When we talked with them and showed them what we were working on they were also very interested. They introduced us to the newest hottest thing just coming out - neodymium magnets! At that time we were experimenting with them as traction magnets on HO cars. It was crazy! Anyway I experimented with them as motor magnets. Back then I was rewinding a lot of armatures for HO cars, and experimenting with different "winds". Through experiments I found a basic rule of thumb applied in regards to the ratio between a motors magnetic field and the number of laminations on the armature. If I increased the motor's magnetic field they seemed to perform better if I increased the number of laminations on the armature's plate stack, regardless of what "wind" I put on them.

As for your F1 car, for me the F1 cars are the hardest to set up and to drive! I don't know all of what Goose does, but he IS the F1 MAN........or "GOOSE"...........whichever..............