Topic: Porsche 930 Turbo Kit/Scratch Bash

Saving this one for posterity as a first attempt and scratch building. I'd bring it to a club meet, but I'm afraid of the tail dragging and pulling up all the copper tape. The car does some nice lap times on our home scally track.

It started with a couple of rubbish womps that 'needed oiling' from the Bay and a Badwill model find.
The womp chassis was cut at the body mounts and resoldered on. The front wheel and guide tabs were flattened in a vise, narrowed, and redrilled. The rear wheels were cut down in width along with the tires.

PunBB bbcode test

The motor is a 15,000 rpm Scaleauto under $10
The rear tires are Paul Gage.

PunBB bbcode test

Things I learned;
The holes in a Womp chassis are far from straight, true, and perpendicular to each other.
Womp wheels come in various sizes, but electrical tape makes for a great shim material.
Flexible silicone wire is much better.
The scally arc system only accepts black guides to register lap times.

PunBB bbcode test

A crash and bash Scalextric Boxter has the same wheel base, length and width - so there is another retrofit in the future here to try and get something going... Gonna try and fit that 930 to a boxter chassis.

j. burns

Re: Porsche 930 Turbo Kit/Scratch Bash

Womps are great chassis to use as "re-builds"! The Womp rear axle mounts are set up for a minimum .750" wheel/tires to attain track clearance. From the looks of how the body sits on the chassis you may have to raise the back of the body up a little to allow for bigger tires to get the needed track clearance?

PunBB bbcode test
PunBB bbcode test

Boxter Chassis to 930 Plastic model, CHECK!

Pretty happy with the performace too! It turns laps about as fast as the other cars I have with the same stock motor, so I should still be able to be ample heckled by the regulars.
Half interior from the original model fit, just need to fit up a driver, and I think she's gonna fit the GT class.

Paint ain't no pro job tho.

j. burns

Nice job on the 930! That is a good one to pit against Monte! He LOVES yellow cars! Paint looks really good on this one!