Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

Rico Locati brought out his vintage Corvair for a few parade laps.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_9198.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_9199.jpg

252 (edited by reek455 February 6, 2015 1:12 pm)

Da Goose certainly showed us the fast way around Too Bad last night but I was rather handicapped and even more disturbing he told me he dreams of beating the disabled (me) on a regular basis and that he wakes up happy.  I think it's just plain wrong big_smile  That being said I had fun last night despite my condition, thank you Bill and Diane for hosting these regular races and to all those who brought snacks.

Regards
Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Wild Bill: Thank you for the wild night of great racing. Rico; congrats on you're fastest laps! I wish i could have those quick reflex's you have to run a few more myself.

wb0s wrote:

Rico Locati brought out his vintage Corvair for a few parade laps.

And it ran surprisingly well.

Yes it did!  Too bad (no pun intended) those are so rare, we could do an IROCORVAIR!!!!

I thought Rico's Corvair really looked cool running around the track. Made me think that it would be fun to see how many of us racers have some sort of complete 60"s made 1/24 hard plastic slot car so we could have a special race with them run at a lower voltage and have it on video to post on the Naste site & face book sites.

That would be cool Goose! Maybe we could run them at maybe 8 or 9 volts and not do any damage? It wouldn't take much to break those mirrors and bumpers off Rico's Corvair!!! We would still have to race like gentlemen...................Ooh, not sure I have that gene in me.........

I picked up another vintage car today.  It's a vintage Kal Kar Ready to Run car which according to the LA Slot Car Museum is a fairly rare car.  The paint job is factory and definitely not the correct color for the 1:1 car but correct in this instance. It's in pretty decent condition with just a few cracks in the rear panel. The funky baby blue tires may be stock as well.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/IMG_6561_zpssmhumuiw.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/IMG_6562_zpsilojzqe7.jpg

And the $20.00 price was certainly a bargain.

Rico - nice bargain find (again). The factory pre painted bodies came in various colors and did not always match the international car color or team color. This next statement is probably wrong, but i believe the colored "foam" tires showed up during the 70's, i do not recall seeing them in the 60's. When i raced with Pacer in the 70's/80's we were getting foam donuts to mount on bare wheels that were orange in color, and we took black permanent marker pens and painted the outside sidewall black.

260 (edited by reek455 February 7, 2015 8:33 pm)

They are pretty close to the originals to me

http://lascm.com/Slot-Car-Museum/index. … ts_id=6495

It turns out Kal Kar made wood track sections as well

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/lumberyard1_zpsjyrxonww.jpg

Very cool stuff Rico, and nice find! What a honey!!!

There is some evidence that the guy in that picture is the legendary Bob Braverman- journalist, motorcycle and drag racer, modeler and slot car  enthusiast.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofimages/BobBraverman05_l.jpg

Looks like the same guy to me.  A bit about Bob...

Bob Braverman was a brilliant maverick who followed his own special dreams and inspired a whole generation of motorcyclists.

Bob was always a racer. In fact, he actually paid his way through college by racing motorcycles. In the late 1950s, in Chicago, his first job was that of a toy designer, where his enthusiasm made him an early pioneer in slot-car racing.

Bob Braverman helped invent the slot car. And, he helped develop the hobby, showing thousands of excited kids how to make their slot cars faster, contributing to such magazines as Model Car Science, Car Model and Rod&Custom’s Model Car Magazine. He wrote a book on the subject called Here is Your Hobby Slot Car Racing.

"Big Smooth"

265 (edited by reek455 February 10, 2015 8:02 am)

Thanks for the lesson Monte, here is an image of the the book:

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/image.jpg1_zps5wapkxj4.jpg

Here is a link to a thread I started on HRW which has some additional info if anyone is interested:

http://www.homeracingworld.us/viewtopic … mp;t=10044

Rico

Great information guys! Thanks!

That picture, I remember seeing that picture when I was a kid. That one and a photo from an issue of I believe Life magazine are the earliest memories I have of slot car racing.

Hey Mitch, I did some research trying to find that issue of Life Magazine you were talking about with the article on slot car racing. I couldn't find any slot car articles in any Life magazines. I did however find out Saturday Eveneing Post had an article about slot cars. I think the edition was December of 1963? Could that have been the magazine?

Juh-eez-us Bill.  Is there anything you don't have a collection of?

"Big Smooth"

I think it was actually "Boys Life". I think it was called that. The photo was of vintage F1 cars, though I don't think they were vintage then. The caption I think was about the fun of "nerfing " your buddies off the track. I guess nothing changes very much.

My interest in collections is quite diverse............

February 19, 2015 Odd Thursday - We had a great turn out of racers tonight, a field of 15 for the Trans Am and GT Classes. The Trans Am race had the closest finish we have had since we started racing the class. Bryan Trachsel won by a 1/10th of a lap over Rico Locati, and Greg Petrolati finsihed third just 1/10th of a lap behind Rico. John Fisher dominated the GT Class winning by 4.2 laps! He set a new lap record and tied the track record for number of laps completed in a three minute race! Gary Goose Gossett added another win to his Strombecker Ford J's resume in the Over 50 Class.

I'd like to thank everyone who made it out to race last night. It is you racers who make the Odd Thursday Night racing such a great event! Thanks to all for bringing out the awesome snacks, and especially to Al Christensen for the totally awesome smoked salmon or-der-veez!!

Results:

Trans Am Class:
1st Bryan Trachsel 51.5 laps - Fastest Lap of the Race - 9.857
2nd Rico Locati 51.4
3rd Greg Petrolati 51.3
4th tie Monte Saager 49.8
4th tie  Bryan Dickerson 49.8                                                                     
6th  Glenn Heath 48.8
7th Goose Gossett 48.6 
8th Bill Bostic 47.8
9th Mitch Brooks 47.2
10th John Fisher 46.6
11th Amy Fields 45.7
12th Jeff Fields 44.8
13th John Morse 43.1
14th tie Victoria Saager 38.5
14th tie Al Christensen 38.5

GT Class:
1st John Fisher 61.8 laps - 8.124 Fastest Lap of the Race
2nd Monte Saager 57.6
3rd Rico Locati 57.4
4th Bryan Trachsel 56.6
5th Bryan Dickerson  55.7
6th Bill Bostic 55.1
7th Greg Petrolati 53.9
8th Jeff Fields 53.8
9th Goose Gossett 50.5
10th tie John Morse 49.8
10th tie Glenn Heath 49.8
12th Victoria Saager 47.6
13th tie Mitch Brooks 47.5
13th tie Amy Fields 47.5
15th Al Christensen 40.8

Over 50 Class:
1st Goose Gossett 51.4 laps - 9.825 Fastest Lap of the Race
2nd Bill Bostic 48.7
3rd Bryan Dickerson 46.5
4th Rico Locati 46.4
5th John Morse 45.2
6th John Fisher 44.2
7th Mitch Brooks 43.7
8th Al Christensen 39.0

273 (edited by reek455 February 20, 2015 11:39 am)

WOW, what a great night of racing and we didn't even make it to the BRM class.  Very close racing through out, sometimes a little too close Mr. Fisher! The Beast Vette has it's eyes on you :-).  Thank you Bill and Diane for the hospitality as always. 

Regards
Rico

Thanks Bill for a great evening of racing, thanks to other racers for sharing their goodies with me. Even though i had a dirty controller that fouled me up i still had fun racing.  And then what i felt was still my controller was i think my guide brushes, thanks to Rico for pointing that out to me, will change to new brushes and reconfigure. Big thanks to Mr Big Smooth for fixing my SCX cuda and showing me what i needed to do to correct the problem. I ran it later and it is a lot easier to drive now. Hopefully i will be a better competitor at next race. For me it is fun sharing car handling tips and having others help me with my car problems. I think that really makes a better group of racing club members when we help each other make smoother running cars, and i feel it makes it more competitive and more fun to race.

I needed to revise this post as there are actually two new classes up for consideration and comment.

The first is actually Carrera 1/24 cars as proposed by Chris Kouba. Here's what Chris has to say:  I would propose running non-mag with all stock parts on Paul Gage tires, but "home tuning" allowed- slop taken out of bushes, a little float allowed on the bodies, wheels trued, tires trued, the usual tips.  The only thing I would say we can get creative with is the guide- they suck and we should find a better way.  Braids would be allowed to be modified as well seeing as they're fairly dependent on the guide.

We would probably need to bump up the voltage as they might be a little boring at 10v, but I can wait to figure that out.

Cars that would qualify?  Anything which ran post-1960 and pre-1971:
250 GTO's
330 P3's
Cheetahs
Corvettes
E types
GT40's   ----------Chris

The second proposal:
Some of you probably saw, or even got a chance to run the VW Womp I put together as a test car in preparation for the next NASTE IROC race here at TooBad. This car seems to have stimulated some interest in these little beasts. My question is; would any of you be interested in adding Womp cars to the list of classes we race here at TooBad Motorplex on Odd Thursdays?

I understand we already have quite a few classes, but alternating the classes seems to be working out pretty well. On the plus side these Womp cars are realitively inexpensive to buy used, readily available, and the parts are inexpensive. In addition the cars are generic in terms of available bodies that can be used to change the appearance of the class. Pattos Place has many body styles available that fit the Womp chassis. If there is any interest I could be persuaded to purchase a group of bodies to better distribute the shipping cost.

Feedback?

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_9266.jpg

==========Bill