Topic: axle bushing clearance

In working on a Ninco Vette I noticed what seems like excessive play between the axle bushings and the rear axle..so much so that the axle can actually move up and down enough to change the pinion to crown gear alignment..no problem right? - just replace with new ones as they must be worn out..well new ones are just as sloppy- I've seen the super glue trick performed and although scary( as I could envision myself gluing everything up solid) I was thinkin that's what I'd do but I think I have another idea. I'm thinking of making a tool than would have a center shaft either exactly axle diameter or one thou bigger with a concave shoulder say ten thou bigger that I could slip into the bushing and then tap or hammer to squeeze the bushing to a tighter spec. I am wondering if such a tool already exists or if it's been tried before. Any thoughts?

Re: axle bushing clearance

I have not seen such a tool. That is a very interesting concept. I'd say if it works you better market them!!!!

Fail # 1282.....there went 3 hours of my life I'll never get back. Well I spent a few hours at the lathe making my super duper axle bushing peening tool only to discover those brass axle bushings are a lot harder than they look...they are not soft brass by any means and the sintered bronze ones will be even harder. Bottom line after making the tool (it actually turned out pretty cool ) I figured out to peen, move or just disrupt enough brass to tighten up the clearance ya gotta whack the heck out of those little suckers- much easier to do the super glue trick or now I'm thinkin about soldering them then honing to the clearance I want. Hey in the old days engine bearings were poured lead Babbitt so a little hard silver solder might work pretty cool- lead has its own lubricity and being softer than the axle will keep from wearing the axle as long as I keep em oiled. More to follow and in the mean time I am ordering an assortment of bushings from professor motor, perhaps different brands have different clearances.

A+ for effort John!!!  Keep us posted!!!

I agree Bill on the effort.  Unless you are trying to keep the stock wheels, buy a Slot.it axle kit which will include a gear, axle, bushings & wheels and they all fit together and work very well.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

If you're keeping the car in the classics class, remember the max tire tread width is 7mm.  I believe the Slot.It kits have 10mm wheels.

CK

Good point, but any good 15 x 7 aftermarket wheel will still fit the Slot.it axle.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.