Topic: Speed Machine Racing - 1985

Sometime, somehow in the 80's the HO Racers of Oregon met up with another HO Club in Aloha Oregon by the name Speed Machine. Speed Machine raced two classes on their 65 foot road course, Modified and Open. HORO did not race with rare earth or cobalt type magnets, so most of us did not race in their Open Class. However their Modified Class was right up our alley, and since they also raced on plastic sectional track we were ready to go at it.  Dave Smith, Al Blanchard, and Larry Cockerham built cobalt magnet cars to compete in Speed Machine's Open Class. Dave Smith did very well in that class. On one occassion I tried racing my Modified Class car in the Open Class. It was almost competitive aside from the fact that when one of the cobalt magnet cars would pass me, it would pull my car right out of my lane. My car would stay attached to the cobalt equipped car until one of the tight corners where my car would be thrown off the track!

The racing at Speed Machine was very fast and very exciting! We all had a great time there! Thanks Mike and Nick Ellis, wherever you are!   ---------------Bill