Topic: Steel chassis

The other day I was over at Monte's and he showed me the abuse one of his proxy cars had taken. The chassis was made from a sheet of styrene. If one were to build a chassis from sheet metal, what gauge steel would be good to start with? 16 gauge may be too thick and heavy. Would 18 or 20 gauge be better? Or should one go even thinner? I am talking about just a flat chassis, possibly with bent up flanges.

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

Re: Steel chassis

George, I should have shown you my scratch-built brass chassis.  It uses thin brass and some side rails made from train tracks wrapped around a Slot.It pod.  Very cool stuff.

"Big Smooth"

Hey George, I'm not sure what the gauges equate to in fractions of an inch thickness, but for a flat chassis if you get thinner than .030" it bends pretty easy and may suffer damage in a wreck. If you were to use sheet metal in a semi boxed "bent" up style chassis you could probably go thinner and lighter. The biggest problem with a "bent up" style chassis is the alignment of the axle holes and motor shaft/pinion to gear. Bent up flanges (like on a Parma type chassis) are hard to align even using a drill press. If I were to construct a chassis of that type, I would use tubing (with an inside diameter the same size as the outside diameter of the axle bushings I was planning to use) soldered into over-sized holes between the two bent up flanges. The tubing could be set up in a frame jig and soldered into the holes correctly aligned. Then using a cut-off wheel I would cut out the unnecessary portion of the tubing (depending on motor configuration; in-line, angle-winder, or side-winder).   -------------Bill

@Monte: You did show me the new train rail chassis design.

@Bill: Good ideas. I may consider bent-up flanges with vertical slots for the tubing, instead of holes.

My company has a fancy laser for cutting sheet metal and once in a while we can slip in some personal stuff. Designing a chassis is also good practice for me using 3D CAD modeling software.

George

--

George,

If you have that kind of technology at your disposal it eliminates the problems I mentioned. Alignment problems should be solved with the CAD tool. There are many lazer cut chassis available on the market you could copy a basic design from.

-------------Bill

Man, now I wish I could do that.

"Big Smooth"

@Bill: The alignment in CAD is not the problem. Once the laser cuts it it will be fine. It's the accuracy of the brake (break?) press operator that controls the alignment. We're a machine manufacturer for heavy machinery, not an instrument maker so our bends don't matter to the mm.

@Monte: You can design too. Check out Alibre Design (www.alibre.com) for their hobby version of the software. It can do solids just fine.

George

--

George,

Could you have the piece or pieces cut and then use a hand brake to make the final bends?

Could the bends be scored with the lazer technology to ensure an accurate bend?

----------------------Bill

Scored, no. But I can have small dots 'etched' in to show the fold line. A hand brake would probably work better than the big hydraulic one we have here for thin steel.

George

--

Now this is interestingly good news....

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

@Rico: Curb you enthusiasm there, partner. These are just musings for now.....

George

--

OK then

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I would like some suggestions with regards to the design of a steel chassis. I'm thinking of a fixed rear axle mount that is attached to the base. Should the axle just spin inside some tubing or should there be room for bearings? The front axle mount will be attached to the guide flag post and will be in a sliding mount so it can be adjusted for different wheel bases. The width will be wide enough to hold a Mabuchi style motor in sidewinder fashion (not sure about how to mount it. What would be the best method of securing the body to the chassis?

Thanks!

George

--

I would make provisions for bushings or bearings for the rear axle to rotate in. That way they can be replaced easily when worn.

The easiest way to mount the motor would be using screws that secure the endbell or better yet the can to the chassis.

There are lots of different methods for mounting the body.