1,876 (edited by docdoom December 2, 2022 11:21 am)

Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

Yes let's clean those up like Zack suggested. With ones we keep put those into the rotation and the ones that are high tune classes for example  Le Mans make that the 3rd or 4 race of the night and the manufacturer  classes run 1st. Main idea  is to keep it simple and cost down for the 1st two races of the night.  Just need to sit down with the lap top and do a rough draft of the rules and such. I hear Zack already  has his hand raised

The secondnidator

1,877 (edited by docdoom December 9, 2022 5:53 pm)

Class 1 - Classic Sports Car

This class is open to classic and vintage sports cars, RTR and scratchbuilt are acceptable. Thunderslot brand cars are NOT eligible for this class (2/4/2018). Examples of cars that are legal for this class are: Revell King Cobra and Porsche 904, Ninco Classics (i.e. Porsche 356, Jaguar XK120, Corvette, Jaguar "D" Type), old Revell 1/32 slot cars (i.e. Ferrari GTO & Corvette Stingray), Carrera "D" Jag & Corvette Stingray, Monogram Ferrari 275P, MRRC King Cobra & Porsche 904. This short list is not inclusive of all the possible cars, there are other brands that would fit this class with slight narrowing of the rear tires.

Division I: This is a spec motor class. Division I cars will be required to use the H&R 14k motor only. Class is limited to cars replicating cars built and raced through 1964*. Chassis construction must be rigid with no separate articulating pieces such as hinged side pans, motor pods, or suspension type front axle mounts. Podded chassis will be allowed in Division I provided the chassis motor pod mounting screws are tightened AND the pod is permanently glued making the chassis compliant with the solid chassis rule. No movement or dampening is allowed between the main chassis piece and the motor pod. Eligible car's rear wheel width* and tire contact patch must be 7mm or less. The tire width set is that of Revell Classic cars, specifically the King Cobra and Porsche 904. Track width must be no wider than the car's body width, tire and wheel must be completely within the body wheel opening*. No portion of the tire/wheel shall be visible when viewed from above*. Bodies shall not be modified to increase front or rear track (no fender flares or widening of body)*.

Thunderslot brand cars are NOT eligible for this class (2/4/2018)

*Rule revisions per meeting on 6/27/2019

Races will be run at 10 volts.

Class Sponsor: Bill Bostic

class 2 revo slot gt
any 1/32 revo slot car gt1 only
only revo parts can be used. these includes tires
must use stock motor
stock gearing must be used
tires may be clued and trued
must use stock 30 shore tires that came stock with car
All weight must be on inside of chassis
eligible cars:
Porsche GT2
Viper GTS
Toyota Supra
Marcos
F40
McLaren F1
Mercedes CLK

class 3 slot it dtm
slot it only dtm cars
Rubber tires only
must be keep stock. only upgrade allowed is tires and weight,
gearing cannot be changed
must use factory motor
Guide and braid are free to replace
eligible cars:
Alfa Romeo 155 V6 Ti
Mercedes 190E
Nissan Skyline GT-R
Opel Calibra

Class 4 - Trans Am

This class is open to any vintage Trans Am style car, based on the American "pony cars" manufactured during the years 1966 through 1972

Chassis
- Stock manufactured chassis only (See traction magnet rule listed above as General Rule 3).
- OK to enlarge body mount screw holes to allow body float.
- OK to may trim off up to 1/16" around chassis perimeter for body float.
- OK to cut off body bumpers and valance from chassis and glue onto body in stock position.
- Weight may be added but must be positioned on the inside of the car.
- Guide Flag - OK to use Nova adapter for stock chassis flag mount replacement or repair

Body
- Stock body, same manufacture as chassis only.
- OK to remove stock spoilers.
- No flaring of body fender wells or enlarging of wheel opening.
- Tires cannot protrude past body, meaning wheelbase width cannot exceed body width.

Interior
- Stock interior, same manufacturer as body only.
- OK to sand bottom of interior for body float, floor boards must remain in stock location, no chopping or sectioning

Running Gear 
- Any gears, axles, and axle bushings.
- Any wheels may be used.
- only rubber or urethane  may be used, but must not exceed 8mm in tread width/contact patch, and must remain true to scale for Trans Am cars.
- Must use Scalextric Standard "Black Stripe" 18k motors ONLY (10/25/2015).

Class Sponsor: Glenn Heath

Class 5 Policar Formula 1 Vintage
only cars would be Policar Formula 1 Vintage
rubber or urethan tires only.
eligible cars:
BRM P160
Ferrari 312B2
Ferrari 126C2
Lotus 72
Lotus 72D
Lotus 72E
March 701

Class 6- Can Am

Basic rules:

Cars to replicate an actual race car (body) in the class listed below. May use body from 60's (eldon, revell, strombecker etc) to present. Color of car and number used is optional.
No "Vanquish" brand RTR slot cars allowed.
No "sponge", or silicone tires allowed.
Allowed; rubber and urethane tire replacements
Allowed: 1/32 RTR (plastic) slot cars; Racer/Slot-it Fly and other brands (except noted above), resin RTR slot cars and resin unbuilt kits.
Thunderslot brand cars are NOT eligible for this class (2/4/2018).

Class:
"Can-Am" cars raced 1966 - 1974 to use up to 23k max RPM motors, car styles that competed 1966 to 1974

Chassis rules:
Allowed; Plastic (RTR), resin, brass, chassis for resin scratch built and RTR modified/scratch built slot cars, Set screw wheels, gears, axle blanks, motor pods etc.

Allowed; Weight may be added but must be positioned on the inside of the car

Body rules:
Allowed; RTR slot car hard plastic and resin "body kits". No lowering of lower body sills around perimeter of body, no reshaping of body, (wheel/tire) fender openings as viewed from outside of body. Tires must be located inside of body/fender opening shape, ie tires cannot be seen from top view of slot car under any chassis/wheel "side sloop" condition. Bodies may be lowered at body to chassis mounting points

Interior rules:
Interior and drivers should remain as purchased where possible, but may be modified, cut down or in the case of a body swap or scratch building, to fit the new configuration of the car. Where this is not possible (interior supplied is not suitable or usable) a 3D interior and driver must be constructed.  Vacuum formed interiors will be allowed, if included with body kit (proof must be supplied)

Note: rules will be subject to revisions to keep competition close.

Class Sponsor: Gary Goose Gossett & Greg Greenman Petrolati

Class 7- Le Mans Classics

The official rules for the Le Mans Classics Category:

Technical Specifications
Except for the following allowances, car should be box stock. Specifically this means-
Stock motor
Stock body and chassis (wheel wells may not be altered)

Allowances
Traction magnet must be removed
Any rubber/urethane tires may be used
Tires may be glued and trued on the wheels
Guide and braid are free to replace/modify
Guide may be shimmed to appropriate depth for track
Grinding to fit (lead, brass, etc...) weight in is acceptable. Grinding to remove weight is not.
Front stub axles may be replaced with a single, solid axle holding the stock front wheels
Use of metal gears is allowed provided they are the stock ratio (pitch may be different)
Use of metal wheels and a replacement axle & bushing is allowed. Wheels and tires may be of similar size/aspect ratio to the stock hardware (from any vendor), or use the Slot.It replacement kits (http://www.132slotcar.us/store/index.ph … =24_94_100).
If wheels are replaced, the wheel itself must be appropriately detailed or period-correct inserts must be installed.
It is permitted to glue bearings into the chassis
It is permitted to glue the motor into the chassis
It is permitted to apply glue inside bearings to eliminate slop of oversize bearings
Chassis may be filed along its perimeter for float, but do not remove more than 1/16" of material.
Valances and other bodywork may be separated from the chassis and attached to the body provided it maintains the original profiles, features, proportions, and contours of the model.
BNOVA and similar guide repair components are acceptable for repairing existing cars but not as a tuning option
If it's not mentioned, you can't do it

Divisions
The category may be broken into two divisions for non-point series races, depending on entries - front vs rear motored and scored as such (inline counts as REAR motored; front motor has a driveshaft between the motor output and the pinion). For official point series races cars will be scored equally.

Eligibility
Any Le Mans competitors modeled by Fly, Scalextric, Monogram, Revell, Spirit, or Ninco which ran in the 1971 event or prior are eligible for competition. All entries need to use the Fly/Scaley black stripe motor regardless of chassis manufacturer.

Class Sponsor: Chris Kouba

Class 8- GT3

GT3 Rules

Scalerxtric GT3 cars only.
Must have lights. We are going to be racing with the lights off at times.
Car must have raced in the GT class during or after the 2013 season.
No after market axles - must run the stock or replacement Scalextric axle

Car must be box stock. Specifically this means-

Stock motor.
Stock body and chassis (wheel wells may not be altered).
Stock wheels and axles
The following modifications are allowed -
Traction magnet must be removed.
Any rubber/urethane tires may be used.
Tires may be glued and trued on the wheels.
Guide and braid are free to replace/modify.
Guide may be shimmed to appropriate depth for track.
Grinding to fit (lead, brass, etc...) weight is acceptable. Grinding to remove weight is not.
It is permitted to glue bearings into the chassis.
It is permitted to glue the motor into the chassis.
It is permitted to apply glue inside bearings to eliminate slop of oversize bearings.
Chassis may be filed along its perimeter for float, but do not remove more than 1/16" of material.
Valances and other bodywork may not be separated from the chassis.
Stock spur gear may be replaced with a Slot.it spur with the same number of teeth. Only the gear can be changed. Must use
stock bushings, axle, and wheels. Same gear ratio must be used. (2/4/2018)
If it's not mentioned, you can't do it
List of Scalextric cars that ran in the GT class that are currently eligible. Other cars may be added to the list as approved by class sponsor.

Class Sponsor: Dan 'Doc' Fritz

Class 9 -slot it/Policar classic
0nly slot it/Policar classic cars
rubber only tires any manufacture rubber tire can be used
only slot it Policar parts can be used
basic tuning allowed
23k motor limit
eligible cars:
Alfa Romeo 33/3
Ford GT40
Matra MS670B
Ferrari 512M
Ferrari 512M
Policar PCAR06A
Chaparral

Class 10 - slot it group c
slot it only group c cars
motor pod open can be inline angle or sidewinder set up
rubber tires only any manufacture tire can be used
23k rpm motor limit
eligible cars:
Jaguar
Lancia LC2
Mazda 787B
Nissan R97C R90V R89C R90CK R91VP
Porsche 956
Porsche 962
Sauber Mercedes C9
Toyota 88C 86C 63C

Class 11 - Sportscar Era Class - LMP Era (LMP)
LMP Era (LMP) - Full fendered sportscars from 1994 through current which ran in FIA, IMSA, or SCCA sanctioned events. Any motors (22k limit), tires, driveline configuration, or chassis material may be used. Bodies must be injection molded or resin cast and not vacuum molded. Thunderslot brand RTR cars are NOT eligible for this class, but their driveline components (wheels, axles, gears, tires) and guide assembly may be used for tuning.
Class Sponsor: Chris Kouba

Class 12- thunderslot
thunder slot cars only
rubber tires only any tire manufacture can be used
23k motor limit

these is only a suggestion and is up for debate so please give your feed back
the classes removed can be archived for future use so they not gone just put on ice so we can hopefully grow.

The secondnidator

Nice work Dan, thank you for the effort. I just have one question. LMP cars are among the fastest on the planet, why have a lower rpm motor limit than older and presumably slower cars listed in other classes?

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I never edited that class. it just the way Chris wrote it out.

The secondnidator

The biggest issue for me is time and the drive. It takes a good 2+ hours to drive to Al's on a Thursday from my house, and the traffic is awful. I always have the intention to show up on Thursday, but when 3:00 rolls around (the time I usually have to leave to get to Al's by 5:30 or 6), either I'm involved in something at home, or I've forgotten to get ready to go, so just give up. But that's just my reason/excuse for not coming. I don't know what's preventing others—the past "usual suspects"—from showing up like they used to.

Well, the 3 biggest Reponses I have heard are..
1. we have to many classes and the rules are to complex
2. we are too completive, there just here to have fun
3. they don't want to spend the time and cash building so many cars too race.. which falls under too many classes again

The secondnidator

1,882 (edited by stumbley December 3, 2022 9:09 am)

Doc, it's a little bit of #1 for me as well. I wish I had more time to "tinker" with my cars, but that's just me. A lot of classes means a lot of cars (I have a lot, but they're not really fit for many of the classes we run), and a lot of money to fit the upgraded parts that they need to be competitive. That's why mostly "box stock" appeals to me.

The old KISS saying applies.

1,883 (edited by docdoom December 3, 2022 12:13 pm)

The idea is to run the kiss classes in the 1st two races and then run a 3rd tuner class. Example: race 1 would be the slot it dtm. Race two revo slot and then race 3 thundet slot and if time the 4 race  would be up for suggestion. There was also talk  of having a IROC race for the 1st go also.

The secondnidator

Sounds good to me.

BUMP to THE Top..
need more feedback please..

The secondnidator

Which race would be the points race?

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

These wouldn't take effect till after the current points championship was over. but would think two of the spec classes and two of the tuner classes would be used.
example
revo slot spec class
slot dtm spec class
la mans  tuner
spots car 1 tuner

The secondnidator

docdoom wrote:

These wouldn't take effect till after the current points championship was over. but would think two of the spec classes and two of the tuner classes would be used.
example
revo slot spec class
slot dtm spec class
la mans  tuner
spots car 1 tuner

by my count there are 5 spec and 6 tuner classes

The secondnidator

I think these classes look like a good start Doc.

A couple things that I would submit to be added.

1-make the changing of the guide legal in all classes. Not just because it can help increase performance but also because they can fail, and replacing them with an aftermarket guide just makes sense.

2-For the Revoslot spec class. I think the Factory installed 30shore tires should be the spec. This is partly because they work very well as is, and because this is a higher priced car it will limit the investment further.

As far as the motor limit in LMP, I think the 22k limit is a good one for this class. The reason the other classes include the 23k rule I believe is because many of the cars in that class came with a 23k slot.it motor. This basically just means that there isn't much need to change the motor since it is already near the legal limit. I think this is a good thing.

I also agree with the removal of Classis 2, unless you want to exclude the GT40 etc instead. PGE has easily take the place of this class, and well the cars just work better with the larger tires installed etc.

Zack

1,890 (edited by docdoom December 5, 2022 7:13 pm)

Sound good I will make the adjustments. the revo slot tire spec may be hard to in force, but I think the fast tire drop off will be enough to police that rule

The secondnidator

Race results from Dec. 1, 2022:

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/RRR12012022a.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/RRR12012022b.jpg

Well Bill what do think of the rule package? See any adjustments  you like to have a input  on?

The secondnidator

Doc,

I don't think I have seen the final draft of the new rules. Are they just new "Class Rules"? I will move the existing class rules to an inactive file and post the new rules once they are finalized. 

Are you keeping the existing "General Rules" or are those changing as well?

1,894 (edited by Wanabgts December 6, 2022 3:06 pm)

docdoom wrote:

Sound good I will make the adjustments. the revo slot tire spec may be hard to in force, but I think the fast tire drop off will be enough to police that rule

Doc, upon reflecting on this more. I do think it would be smart to limit the revoslot class to a certain type of car. We could open this up or add others in down the road, but they clearly make cars that are meant to compete with one another.

I would recommend going with the "GT" category to start, since there is a massive range of liveries and cars available.

Porsche GT2
Viper GTS
Toyota Supra
Marcos
F40
McLaren F1
Mercedes clk.

(this is just a suggestion, i would be fine limiting it even further to GT2 cars only, supra, marcos, viper, porsche)

Staying away from the open top and LMP cars will keep the class more consistent IMO.

I also think Al should have the final review and say on this classing, since he is the primary support for this section of the club at this time.

Zack

wb0s wrote:

Doc,

I don't think I have seen the final draft of the new rules. Are they just new "Class Rules"? I will move the existing class rules to an inactive file and post the new rules once they are finalized. 

Are you keeping the existing "General Rules" or are those changing as well?

It just a draft for the now and still in the discussion  format.  Just looking for feed back

The secondnidator

Wanabgts wrote:
docdoom wrote:

Doc, upon reflecting on this more. I do think it would be smart to limit the revoslot class to a certain type of car. We could open this up or add others in down the road, but they clearly make cars that are meant to compete with one another.

I would recommend going with the "GT" category to start, since there is a massive range of liveries and cars available.

Porsche GT2
Viper GTS
Toyota Supra
Marcos
F40
McLaren F1
Mercedes clk.

(this is just a suggestion, i would be fine limiting it even further to GT2 cars only, supra, marcos, viper, porsche)

Staying away from the open top and LMP cars will keep the class more consistent IMO.

I also think Al should have the final review and say on this classing, since he is the primary support for this section of the club at this time.

Zack

good point will make the adjustment.

The secondnidator

Since I have been out of the 1/32 racing for awhile now, I am fine with whatever you guys decide.

1,898 (edited by Mitch58 December 6, 2022 7:56 pm)

As for the Revoslot tires: They make three compounds, the stock one that comes on the car and a medium, as well as a soft. Jeff Fields and I tried all three. On my track with its smoother surface it didn't make much difference at all, on Al's track with the slight texture there was no difference whatsoever. We ran several laps with each tire on my Viper and Toyota GT1, the lap times never varied at all.
  I really don't think it matters.

Thanks for the info

The secondnidator

anybody else have any feed back..

The secondnidator