Topic: How Fast is Fast? And How Does "Our" Fast Compare With "Their" Fast?

I've always wondered how to compare the speed of one type of car to another. For example how does the speed of our hardbody cars here in the Northwest compare to the speed of the hardbody cars they race back east? Or even how does their speed compare to Flexi cars? How does a car's performance compare from one track to another?

Here's a method I think we could use to get some idea. We have lap times available, so if we know the exact length of any given track, we can compute the average feet per second the cars are moving at. Although this number will vary depending on the track, and the driver, it will give us a good comparison of the different cars on any given track. We comparing from one track to another, the average feet per second will be an indicator of how difficult the track is, how well the car handles, and how skilled the driver is.

Here's an example. Inslot's Checkered Flag has a lap length of 81.833 feet. At the last OSCAR Late Model NASCAR race John Gill set the track record at 4.5487 seconds. Those figures equate to John's hardbody NASCAR completing a lap running at an average of 17.990 feet per second. In comparison, in the last Flex race the best lap time was a 4.5460. That Flexi had an average of 18.001 feet per second. By contrast the fastest Womp lap in the Sprint 20 race with a 5.5 second set breakout was a 5.509, for 14.854 feet per second. The differences between some types of cars may be subtle, but it stills gives an idea of which are faster.

Re: How Fast is Fast? And How Does "Our" Fast Compare With "Their" Fast?

That is a lot of math. Bill you need a hobby, wait never mind.

RIGHT?!!!

wb0s wrote:

RIGHT?!!!

Hawk7 powered  Can-Ams can smoke the heavy S16D Nascars. Lightweight bodies 10 grams vs 34 grams .... allow lightweight chassis. 115 grams vs 240 and more total car weight.  Nascar bodies do not help the handling but are what slows the car down. Take that Nascar body off and the car gets faster. Can-Am bodies help the handling aerodynamically and make the car faster. Low tech cars can go about as fast depending on body and motor rules.

Let's get out the open 12 super lexan cars and REALLY go fast!

I am perfectly satisfied with the speeds of the cars we are currently racing! Our Can Am cars are about as fast as I am interested in racing. What I was really looking for was some method of comparing similar types of cars raced in different areas or on different tracks. When I see posts that talk about how fast a particular car is based on lap times at a certain track it doesn't mean anything to me. Variables such as track lap length, how technical a track is, and driver skill will all affect that lap time. And although the cars speed in feet per second does not eliminate those variables, I feel it does give me a more concrete figure to base a comparison on.

Dennis, the next time you come down please bring one of those cars with you. Let's set an absolute track record on Inslot's Checkered Flag!

What you do is create a typical FAST car and then offer to send it to clubs as an exchange loaner for one of their typically fast cars.

Then you can get an actual comparison.  It's like a weird proxy combined with a voyage of discovery.

"he was so fast, he was even fast asleep, and so deep, he was unfathomable"!

"Big Smooth"

You're right Monte, that would be the best way to compare. I just don't know that I am THAT curious or interested.........

The other thing is I have not seen where 1/24 scratchbuilt hardbody cars built like those around here are raced anywhere but here. What I've seen of other group's cars are totally different. Apples to oranges. I'd be satisfied with just some FPS numbers.

wb0s wrote:

I am perfectly satisfied with the speeds of the cars we are currently racing! Our Can Am cars are about as fast as I am interested in racing. What I was really looking for was some method of comparing similar types of cars raced in different areas or on different tracks. When I see posts that talk about how fast a particular car is based on lap times at a certain track it doesn't mean anything to me. Variables such as track lap length, how technical a track is, and driver skill will all affect that lap time. And although the cars speed in feet per second does not eliminate those variables, I feel it does give me a more concrete figure to base a comparison on.

Dennis, the next time you come down please bring one of those cars with you. Let's set an absolute track record on Inslot's Checkered Flag!

Gary T. mentioned he went 2.97 seconds on the old shorter track. My G7 motors would be too fast and no way to put that kind of power down to the track. Open G12 would be the next choice with Perimeter style chassis with open sports body might go in the high 2 second bracket ... like what set the record at Mile High track with Paul P.s more capable finger. Even faster if I went with a wing body! Anything goes, if you are going for an ultimate absolute track record, right?

wb0s wrote:

You're right Monte, that would be the best way to compare. I just don't know that I am THAT curious or interested.........

The other thing is I have not seen where 1/24 scratchbuilt hardbody cars built like those around here are raced anywhere but here. What I've seen of other group's cars are totally different. Apples to oranges. I'd be satisfied with just some FPS numbers.

I once communicated with a guy in Florida I think ... who said they ran a custom built Nascar class. I asked him to send a pic of his custom chassis .... and I would do the same for him. His car looked like some glorified Wonp slab car with bubble gum solder joints. Yikes!

Running INline custom built Revell/AMT type bodies is probably ONLY ran there in Oregon. Pacific in Edgewood  ran semi-scale lexan Nascar bodies on Flexi chassis'. Way faster. I am definitely NOT a fan of inline,  but have to follow the 50 year tradition of OSCAR.

"Anything goes, if you are going for an ultimate absolute track record, right?"

Let's do it Dennis! Would be fun!

"I am definitely NOT a fan of inline,  but have to follow the 50 year tradition of OSCAR"

Personally I am a sucker for tradition if you haven't noticed! I appreciate your participation Dennis!

Dennis,
  I too would like to see some of these cars run, though they might perform better at Bob's track with the long straits and sweeping corners.
  I bought a wing car out of curiosity but after cleaning up the dry tires it wanted to fly off the track at full throttle no matter the speed you were already going. But then I was using my standard controller. We don't race them here so I don't really know anything about them.

Bill,  don't know if you noticed but I pulled out a 30 year old wing car last Saturday at Howie's.  I turned several low 3.6 lap times .... nearly a full second faster that the scale cars. The car was well planted in the corners and under powered for it's handling. I had a 25 year old PS mini motor with an X12 arm. It could have used a cobalt g27 power. I doubt it could use my Benny Justice G7 motor.

The traction on your track is slightly less .... so easy to over-power the grip

Dennis, You did show me that car but I did not see it run. I'm interested to see what kind of times you can turn on my track with it!   ======Bill

14 (edited by Mitch58 February 25, 2022 7:44 am)

I watched him take laps on Howie's track, it was quick and tight. When I tried mine a few months ago with mine it would go airborne at full throttle but I have no idea what motor it has other than it is compact in size and totally unfamiliar with Wing cars in general.

Mitch58 wrote:

I watched him take laps on Howie's track, it was quick and tight. When I tried mine a few months ago with mine it would go airborne at full throttle but I have no idea what motor it has other than it is compact in size and totally unfamiliar with Wing cars in general.

I can help you ID your wing car.  It's been many years since I raced those but raced them for several decades. Lot of adrenaline fun going real fast.