Topic: Fly Classics Class Rules

This is designed as a class for racers AND builders.  However a stock Fly Classic should be competitive with a little added weight and improved tires.

The rules here will be updated as we make decisions.

Cars:
Any of the following cars from the Fly Classics line is allowed:

Ferrari 512S- Any version
Lola T70
Chevron B19
Chevron B21
Porsche 908/2, 908/3, 908 Flunder
Porsche 917K, 917LH (long tail), 917 Spyder, 917 (* 917-10 CanAm NOT ALLOWED)
Ford GT-40

Any other car from the "Fly Classic" line that has a motor pod like the ones listed above.

Here's some pictures for reference as there are many liveries available.

http://www.naste.org/members/monte/fly_classics_1.jpg
http://www.naste.org/members/monte/fly_classics_2.jpg
http://www.naste.org/members/monte/fly_classics_3.jpg

Body:
Stock.

Motor:
Fly Black Stripe
Scalextric Black Stripe
Slot.It orange endbell
Any similar motor

Chassis:
Stock.  Non-mag.  Minor trimming allowed for body float.

Wheels:
Wheels should look period correct.  Aluminum Slot.It style wheels can be used but they should have inserts.  No O-Ring style wheels or tires.  Wheels/tires can not stick out beyond the body.

Gears, Guide, Braid, Axles:
Any.  Feel free to experiment. 

Tires: Any tire.  We generally run rubber or urethane whenever possible.  You will find they provide more than adequate traction at The Pen.  I will also see about getting some urethane tires we can hand out.

Note: The tire rule is under review and we expect to announce an opinion soon on what tires to use.  It was clear that the silicone tired cars did cause issues for those with rubber-based tires.

More on Tires:
After further review there should be sufficient options for everyone to find tires of a non-silicone nature.  Here's a list of legal tires, there are probably others and we'll add to this list as we can:

FLYB46 - Stock Fly Tires

NSR5218 - NSR Super Grip Tires

NSR5219 - NSR Ultra Grip Tires

BRMS119 - BRM Tires

YD1007 - Yellow Dog urethanes

ORT 43 - Ortmann's Fly Classic Racing Slicks

Old Slot Racer urethanes

Paul Gage urethanes

Even More on Tires:
I've just started testing some urethane's that were sent to me by a friend from the mid-west.  They work excellent.  I am going to try and get enough to have on hand as hand-out tires.  If I can, then that's what we'll use.  In the meantime feel free to find whatever similar tires you choose.

"Big Smooth"

Re: Fly Classics Class Rules

Didn't we agree on IndyGrips for the Fly Classics? I thought IndyGrips are silicone. Or are they urethane? There's too much sh@#$%^&t out there that I can't keep track (get it, track?).

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

George- This is a separate series from the proposed series at BSCC and has separate rules.  The Fly class at BSCC has been pushed back to next summer so people only have to worry about preparing one car for racing at BSCC this winter which is going to be the SCX GT cars

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I know Randy postponed the Fly Classic class, but why not keep the cars the same? Wouldn't that reduce the required parts and/or associated work needed on the cars?

George

--

Since we go to great lengths to lay down a nice rubbered surface on the track, the Silicone's would just lift it up.  So here, we try to avoid them.  I'm trying to arrange for tires so no one will have to buy anything.

"Big Smooth"

Can some criteria or rules be established so various motors of similar performance can be used?

I've looked and I'm not sure what those would be.  It's a narrow range.  We could always switch to the orange end bell.

"Big Smooth"

I guess that might be the easiest. They're readily available, and most everyone around here has at least one! I suppose you could also spec that motor for other classes....

Timba, Frank and I did a little testing yesterday and from what we saw, the Scalextric standard, Fly black stripe and Slot.It orange were all reasonably competitive on the track based on runnng at 10.5 Volts.  And since we allow you to run any gear ratio you like, that should solve the speed issues between the different motors if there really are any.

I can show you the specs and here they are courtesy of the Slot Car News Motor List.

[b]Fly standard

"Big Smooth"

Thanks for the update Monte! I think I have it straight now!..............hard to cheat effectively if I don't know where the baseline is!!!!!    --------------------Bill

I settled on a Porsche 917 Spyder for the first race. Didn't have time to finish up my Ford GT40.

The NSR tires I got wouldn't fit the Spyder. Not enough clearance between the tire sidewall and the top of the fender.

I'm going to try the Yellow Dog urethanes.

It will be fun to compare the different cars and see how they go.  Looking forward to it!

I've got three cars set up.  No two alike.  Though I was able to get the NSR tires on two of them.

"Big Smooth"

Thanks Monte and Victoria for a fun filled afternoon and some exciting racing as well as few major smackums.  The food was plentiful and extraordinary.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

DITTO!!! Great race Monte!!!! I had a BLAST!!! It was great to see everyone!!!!

Got some work to do on my car!!!!    ---------------------Bill

Thanks for coming.  I think we all have cars to work on.  But at least it's not broken parts, just bad decisions that need correcting.  And tires that need testing.

"Big Smooth"

16 (edited by KuifjePDX January 4, 2010 1:46 pm)

Should we place a group order?

Here: http://www.oldslotracer.com/Urethane.html

Or here: http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Pauls-Slot-C … Z666941012

George

--

Howdy George.  I'm working on something very similar.  Those are both good leads and would certainly be allowed regardless.

"Big Smooth"