Re: MONDAY OT (Open Track)

"are we allowed to solder in the rear  bushing on the womps????

Yes, you can solder in or glue in the rear bushings. I will update the rules.

We will have a fresh track on Monday.

I spent some time cleaning the track today. There are a couple issues I need to address. First off we need to do a better job of monitoring our car's ground clearance. I found evidence of gears coming into contact with the track surface. It appears to be a clearance issue with spur gears on some sidewinder/anglewinder set ups. We need to take a look at some of the different cars Monday and establish a minimum required clearance for cars equipped with spur gears.

I am also asking racers to not sand car tires on the track surface, and to avoid doing excessive "burn outs" when cleaning their tires. There was evidence of a "burn out" from a smaller set of tires (probably 1/32 RTR) negatively affecting the track surface. Remember when you are heating up those rear tires you are also heating the track surface and paint. I plan to set up a "Test Station" for such activities.

78 (edited by docdoom August 27, 2021 4:33 pm)

roger boss and dont forget to vote..... and I would like to add
if your putting tire prep on your tires make sure you let it set up/dry for at least 30 min and wipe tire  before putting the car on the track. the tire should never be wet  when placing the car on the track.

The secondnidator

docdoom wrote:

roger boss and dont forget to vote..... and I would like to add
if your putting tire prep on your tires make sure you let it set up/dry for at least 30 min and wipe tire  before putting the car on the track. the tire should never be wet  when placing the car on the track.

Very good point Doc! Thanks!

On a hole different subject.. got that gt40 white kit all done and there was no gas caps to be found in the box. was factory sealed . not a deal breaker but you think there might be a spare parts bag  in all that stuff you got from Goose with those in them??? have not done search on line yet. that next.

The secondnidator

81 (edited by docdoom August 27, 2021 6:16 pm)

Never mine took one more  look  and what I thought was just a junk of spruce had them still attached so there in the paint both getting chromed.

The secondnidator

You know my policy Doc, warranty is good until it's not!

well at least I found them. car looked a little off with them. paint came out nice a crisp. should be really easy to see going around the track, now it time to true up some tires and get it ready for testing.

The secondnidator

84 (edited by reek455 September 14, 2021 8:11 pm)

Just a shout out to Bill for repairing my damaged chassis last night.  We got it all set up on the jig and got the axle tube and bracket re-soldered in place.  Then Bill devised a secondary brace which he fabricated and soldered in place. It would have to be a devastating hit to knock it loose now. I will post a pic this evening if I have time. Once again thanks Bill.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZSvymgM/Billie-bar.jpg
As promised- one Billy bar

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

You're welcome Rico!

Let's refer to the brace as the Billy Bar!

86 (edited by reek455 September 14, 2021 8:30 pm)

wb0s wrote:

You're welcome Rico!

Let's refer to the brace as the Billy Bar!

Henceforth, it will be known as such.

I came home and started digging thru my 1/24 stuff to repair mine and found an original Hanna chassis, probably what I should have started with.

Billy bar pic posted

I have received feedback that it is time to start racing!

I have entered new information in the calendar for the next Open Track Monday for Inslot's Checkered Flag Raceway. Here it is in a nutshell:

RACING starts at 2:00PM.

First up is the WOMP Class. Races will be sprint type consisting of 20 lap heats races.

Immediately following the WOMP races will be the Flexi class. Races will be conventional 3 minute heat races.

The SECOND ROUND of Racing starts at 6:00PM following the same schedule and format of the earlier races.

Racers can arrive early and race in both events, or attend just one. Each even is scored separately, two separate races on the same day. The potential is there to win them both!

Track closes when last racer is ready to leave!

Yesterday we have 8 racers on hand for the first run of Womp Class racing. The 20 lap heat race format seemed to be a hit. The format uses a point based scoring system with racer's average lap times breaking any ties. Using European Round Robin driver rotation it only took 45 minutes to run through the entire race. Bob Nakamura scored the win.

The Flexi Class race was run using the traditional 3 minute heat race format, and also European Round Round robin driver rotation. We had one driver drop out so the race was run with 7 entries. Dan "Doc" Fritz took the win in this class.

After Monday's races I have decided the Flexi Class for racing here at Checkered Flag will be for 4 inch chassis. Checkered Flag is a relatively short track and is better suited to the 4 inch chassis. Plus most racers have 4 inch chassis cars sitting around. If you're one of those that does not have a 4 inch flexi type car, i have plenty of used ones and can fix you up! The 4.5 inch chassis cars will continue to be raced at Bob Nakamura's Springwater track, which is more of a super speedway course. I have updated the rules for Monday races.

The Womp race seemed to be a hit with the lap count heat races inspired by the Pelican Park racers. It provided for some very close racing! We will continue with that class and race format next Monday.

91 (edited by docdoom October 12, 2021 4:37 pm)

another fun day of racing.. got to figure out that womp. very very all over the place. thanks for opening your track Bil. I think these was the 1st time that I got out of there with out spending any money......

The secondnidator

Congrats Doc, you're racing wasn't bad either!

I had to miss out, Dominic had a game Monday night. At least they won 40-20.

That's AWESOME Rico!

Congrats to Dom!

I can't believe you thought a child's game was more important than slot racing!

Just kidding. Great result for Dom and Dad both!
Well done!

Thank you both

stumbley wrote:

I can't believe you thought a child's game was more important than slot racing!

Just kidding. Great result for Dom and Dad both!
Well done!

It's called anger management.  He takes all the weeks frustration  out on the reef.

The secondnidator

Yesterday's Open Track Monday was eventful to say the least! As usual racers came and went throughout the day with nine of them competing in at least one of three races held. To date we have had casual races for either the Womp Class or the Flexi Class, or both when there have been enough participants. Yesterday we had enough racers to hold a Womp and a Flexi race starting at 2:00 PM, and another Womp race at 6:00 PM.

The racing in the first Womp race was very close! The Womp races are 20 lap heat races, starting with a round robin qualifier, followed by elimination heats. John Gill won that first race, decisively! Doc was second (of course), Dave Smith third, and Bob Nakamura fourth.

After the Womp race a Flexi race was run. The Flexi races are standard round robin timed heat races, with four minute heats for one round of racing (one time through all four lanes). In this race John Gill again took the win, although he first totally melted down his primary car! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJtWIdhDgGE  It was quite the smoke show (best I've ever seen)! Doc was gracious enough to loan John his car so John could finish out his last heat race. These Monday Open Track races are low key and casual with our focus on fun! John was credited with the win based on driver performance regardless of using a backup loaner car. Here are the results of that race:

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6567ICFR.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6568ICFR.jpg

Both races were completed by approximately 4:00 PM. By 6:00 PM some racers had left but others had shown up. It was decided to run another Womp race. But before we dropped the green flag we decided to have some pizza! A big thanks to my beautiful wife Diane for ordering and picking up pizza for us all! The same 20 lap heat race format was used again for the second Womp race. This time Doc showed no mercy and took no prisoners! He ran an excellent race in a tight field and took the win! Yup, not second this time! To prove it the results are below:

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6569ICFR.jpg

Something new was introduced for the Open Track Monday races. The official PASER CUP trophy for the weekly winner. Each race winner of a Monday race event will have the honor of signing this beautiful and LARGE loving cup! This highly sought after award will be on display for ALL to see! John and Doc were the first two names to be added to the cup. A side note here; due to the fact that dry transfer lettering seems to be very difficult to find and the selection slim (finally sourced at Dollar Tree), and the fact that the size of the letters I found were slightly larger than what I really needed, the PASER Weekly Winner Cup actually came out as the PASER WEENNER CUP (WEENNER being kind of a contraction between Weekly and Winner....sort of...).

Here's a couple of photos of the first ever official Monday winners with the prestigious award!

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6564ICFR.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6570ICFR.jpg

A couple of topics were discussed yesterday during Monday's Open Track.

1. I will be opening the track earlier, at 10:00 AM, so we can get to racing the first couple of classes by noon. The evening races will still have a tentative start time of 6:00 PM. The schedule will still remain casual and may vary slightly according to attendance. The key thing to take away from this is the doors will be open at 10:00 AM instead of 1:00 PM.

2. A rule change for the Womp class was unanimously approved. 3/32 rear axles may be used. This allows for a wider selection of crown gears and rear wheels and tires. Gears may be either 48 or 64 pitch.

100 (edited by docdoom October 19, 2021 6:24 pm)

no more late night prowling on Sunday anymore....
Calendar for Upcoming Events needs to be adjusted  to your new times for Monday's
I heard they cancelled NHRA Hot Rod Reunion looks like a major sponsor pulled out at the last moment
it seems that Medline Industries, Inc the top manufacturer-suppliers of walkers decided that there  new small block powered walker would not be ready  saying that safety and noise concerns made them pull the product from the reunion.. there were many looking forward to testing the new walker the local Golden Corral Buffet & Grill. and drag stripe
with such short notice there were not able to get another sponsor to take there place..

The secondnidator