1 (edited by docdoom September 10, 2021 11:02 pm)

Topic: vote to allow thunderslot cars in can am

Current rules states
Thunder slot brand cars are NOT eligible for this class (2/4/2018)
These thread is to see as a club that we drop the non eligible and allow them to run in the can am class. only thing I would add is drop the magnet for new racers in can am if a thunder slot is used

1. these will help new racers getting into the class get up to speed faster.
2. keeps cost down
3. well tuned slot it are just as fast
we also have the following rule that can be used ;
4. In the event a racer wins more than one race with the same car (thus establishing a pattern of dominance in any class) a vote may be taken of the racers in attendance to determine if the racer will be assessed a handicap (of 1 lap or more) for future races when racing that particular winning car. The handicap only applies to the winning car/driver combination. The racer can de-tune the car with a substantial motor downgrade, or switch to another car to avoid the handicap.
we only had 5 racers make the show tonight and all were in favor  of running the Thunder slots in the class.
the sponser of the class has given the ok for the change. just need to hear from the rest of the club on yes or no..
so please reply with a yes or a no thanks and lets go racing...

The secondnidator

Re: vote to allow thunderslot cars in can am

yes

The secondnidator

bump

The secondnidator

No objection on my end.

5 (edited by docdoom September 14, 2021 8:13 pm)

That is six confirmed  yes and zero no so far

The secondnidator

I dont see anybody so far speaking  out against  so I say it  is a go and remove the thunderslot from not eligibleist list for can am class.

The secondnidator

7 (edited by docdoom September 16, 2021 11:09 am)

I dont see anybody so far speaking  out against  so I say it  is a go and remove the thunderslot from not eligible list for can am class.

The secondnidator

docdoom wrote:

I dont see anybody so far speaking  out against  so I say it  is a go and remove the thunderslot from not eligible list for can am class.

Can Am Class rules updated to allow Thunderslot cars, 9/16/2021.

And list as not useful all the rest maybe.  ;-)

At least it supports the spirit of the Can Am class.

Not to argue the vote but I only saw two, not six.  What did I miss?

"Big Smooth"

we discussed it at the last race and all were aboard. posted here to see if anybody wanted to chime in, few did so seeing no negative  response...

The secondnidator

kidvolt wrote:

And list as not useful all the rest maybe.  ;-)

At least it supports the spirit of the Can Am class.

Not to argue the vote but I only saw two, not six.  What did I miss?

Well now, Actually we now have a few Slot its and a couple of NSRs capable of Thunderslot times, though most but not all have come off of the same workbench.

The other way to look at it is for the new racer rather than spending $50 on a Slot It and another $30 to make it run like a Thunderslot they can just spend $79.99 on a Thunderslot and be ahead of the game.

And while a Slot It and an NSR can be made to run that speed a Thunderslot is much easier(shall we say effortless) to drive that fast, this is also in the new racers favor.

I'll also say that at the moment my fastest Thunderslot is faster and smoother than it has ever been, yet there are three non Thunderslot Porsche 997s in a proxy box downstairs that are faster.   Go figure.

"A few and a couple" against the standard out-of-the-box car.  Imagine what that Thunderslot might be like with time invested in it like was invested in the few and a couple - which is what will be next.

I'm ok with this but for the majority it's just buy a Thunderslot and go racing.

"Big Smooth"

kidvolt wrote:

"A few and a couple" against the standard out-of-the-box car.  Imagine what that Thunderslot might be like with time invested in it like was invested in the few and a couple - which is what will be next.

I'm ok with this but for the majority it's just buy a Thunderslot and go racing.

We could also do lap adjustments for those that still want to run non thunderslot car in the class. Would have to see what the lap times are before jumping  to any conclusions.  But say .5 per heat that would be 1.5 laps. Or set the track break out to 6.0 seconds and if you have a non rider brake out lapp does not count. But all that can be adjusted as  we start to race and see were we are at between manufators.

The secondnidator

14 (edited by Over 50 Al September 18, 2021 8:17 am)

I think Monte is better at math than Doc. Seems like this rule change pretty much eliminates most of the interest in the Open class.

Thanks Al.

You could be right.  Or augments it.

"Big Smooth"

In my opinion this illustrates the main issue with racing 1/32. There are so many manufacturers with so many different styles of cars and chassis it is hard to group cars into competitive classes. I think it has gotten to the point where the different brands need to form separate classes. The Thunderslot cars are a perfect example. This rule change has pretty much made Can Am the Thunderslot class. It seems to me "like brand" cars make for the closest competition. Unless you allow for 3D printed pod chassis in any given class. And that is a whole 'nother can of worms.......

Agreed.

"Big Smooth"

I agree for most of classes that might be the case.
sport car one and two there are a number  different make of cars and scratch built and all seem to run very close. the rest are manufacturer base classes that have only one or two makes running in them top..
le mans
trans am 
gt3
maybe the can am will all go  thunderslots but I think the racing going be very close either way.

The secondnidator

Over 50 Al wrote:

I think Monte is better at math than Doc. Seems like this rule change pretty much eliminates most of the interest in the Open class.

or we can change open to gt3 open and have some fun with those type of cars..most clubs across the world have such  class and there is big proxy out there with over 30 cars trying to make the race.
my math is fine race 3min heat times three right  there 10 sectors to the track .5 is half a lap so 1.5 after 9min of racing...

The secondnidator

In my opinion it is easier to just initiate a new class rather than keep changing the rules of existing classes. It is fine to make small changes and adjustments to a class, but at some point with major changes it becomes a new class anyway.  I think it is fine to just let a class go by the wayside or let it become "inactive". No where does it say you need to race ALL the classes every season. At least if you leave the rules as is you can always go back and reinstate and inactive class. There are many classes in NASTE that have not been raced for quite a few years, but they are still there if anyone wants to race them.

Your right Bill. Perhaps it's not having too many classes rather than trying to prepare for and race too many classes per season. Maybe we should look more at our scheduling and try to race fewer classes each year. Most of us would probably be better off pouring resources into maybe four classes each season than trying to cover ten or however many we currently are trying to run.
         Some cars can sit in a drawer for a while, believe me I know.

In my opinion this last rule change made the Can Am class into the Thunderslot class which we basically already had with the Open Class . This rule change will put my Slot It Cam Am cars on the shelf. I voted for the Cam Am class for one of the points race classes as it was which was a good competitive class. To change the rules within a week of confirming the point race classes with little discussion and a questionable vote does not seem quite right to me.

23 (edited by docdoom September 19, 2021 9:13 pm)

Over 50 Al wrote:

In my opinion this last rule change made the Can Am class into the Thunderslot class which we basically already had with the Open Class . This rule change will put my Slot It Cam Am cars on the shelf. I voted for the Cam Am class for one of the points race classes as it was which was a good competitive class. To change the rules within a week of confirming the point race classes with little discussion and a questionable vote does not seem quite right to me.

I thought you said you were on board last odd Thursday night race?   we can all  have a discussion about it again these next race and move the the class to the end of the season to get more feed back from more racers in you feal that is what is needed.  Im good with what ever we has a group want to do. I was thinking change would be more towards the new racers. coming in.

The secondnidator

I am planning to be at the race this Thursday. You can have more discussion as Doc said and let me know what needs to be written for the Can Am Class. I've been more focused on other things lately.

I'm also planning to bring other parts along in addition to the motors I listed. I'll try to get there early so you guys can go through what I've recently uncovered.

There was more discussion on the rule change to allow Thunderslot cars into the Can Am Class. As a result of this discussion the rules have reverted back to NOT allowing Thunderslot Can Am cars into the class. It is back up for vote and the final decision will be made after more racers get their chance to vote.

My 2 cents worth. At last might's race I competed in the Can Am Class with a well prepared (ZACK prepared) Slot.it Alfa 33. Having not raced at Al's for sometime I know my driving skill was not on par with the other racers. But, it was obvious to me the Thunderslot cars were superior. I was loaned a Thunderslot Can Am car during practice and with it I could easily beat the lap times I was running with my Slot.it car. In my opinion if Thunderslots are allowed to race in this class it will become a Thunderslot Can Am class!