Re: MONDAY OT (Open Track)

Yesterday's Monday open track day was productive. A bunch of different NASTE spec 1/32 cars hit the track. We're starting to get a pretty good feel for which NASTE classes are best suited to the Checkered Flag layout. The best performers seemed to be the brands you would suspect, Slot.it, Revo Slot, NSR, Racer, the manufacturers of the more "competition" built cars. Some of the more dialed in cars that Doc brought along were turning laps in the low 5 second range. Those are very good times on this track!

The other cars that showed some promise are the Over 50 Class cars (of course since they were originally designed and built for this type of track....duh!). I do need to revamp the rules for the Over 50 cars, at least for racing them at Checkered Flag. More to come on that....

At 3:00pm we ran a short race program for the Over 50 cars. I switched over to the other computer and the Trackmate program. I had set up race parameters for 10 lap heat races. This seemed to work well as it kept the race pace moving along without much down time. It was a good test session and I think once I get it all dialed in that is the program we will use for any races we hold on Monday's. At least that is the plan..........

So now we are at the negative part of the evening. After running the Over 50 Class race, I set the computer to Practice mode. After about a half hour of running cars........FAIL.......the computer monitor went BLACK.....let me just note here: I HATE COMPUTERS!

After switching back to the old computer and SRT program it was determined the new revamped computer with Windows 7 system was the culprit. A "Warning" on the screen stating that the operating system installed was "not an official operating system" leads me to believe the issue is a specific Windows thing. Part of my problems with setting this other computer up has been the fact that I don't get good WIFI coverage in the shop, so I can't download programs and or get updates. So today i will bring the computer in the house where I can connect and see if I can "fix" its problems. We'll see............more on that late also.

Back to good stuff! Stuart brought up 4 of his 1/24 scratchbuilt PASER/OSCAR spec NASCARs for testing. He let me drive each one and all I can say is; OH WOW! Stuart builds some awesome cars! He is also really good about sharing tips. Last night I learned a couple more things from him about chassis set up.

Overall I'm having a lot of fun with the Monday open track sessions. It is good seeing the track put to use!

wb0s wrote:

So now we are at the negative part of the evening. After running the Over 50 Class race, I set the computer to Practice mode. After about a half hour of running cars........FAIL.......the computer monitor went BLACK.....let me just note here: I HATE COMPUTERS!

After switching back to the old computer and SRT program it was determined the new revamped computer with Windows 7 system was the culprit. A "Warning" on the screen stating that the operating system installed was "not an official operating system" leads me to believe the issue is a specific Windows thing. Part of my problems with setting this other computer up has been the fact that I don't get good WIFI coverage in the shop, so I can't download programs and or get updates. So today i will bring the computer in the house where I can connect and see if I can "fix" its problems. We'll see............more on that late also.

Is the panel in the garage/shop powered by the same panel that runs the whole house?
I ask because Netgear makes an item that could help.
Could use a range extender or a product that they call a powerline adapter.
Those are both options to extend range into your shop.
That is if you want to make the internet better out there.

I hope to make it out in the next week or so to race and hang!
I have family in town next week but got a new job and will have two weeks off in between my current role and the new one.

Cheers.

Matt, yes, the shop panel runs off the house panel. I did order an "extender" that plugs into an outlet. It should be here by next Monday.

However, I think I have taken care of the connectively and programs download problem this morning. I just took the computer into the house where I could get WIFI connection. Who'd a thunk? Sometimes my stupidity is limitless!

Anyway I may have it dialed in now. I'll do some testing, maybe tomorrow. Right now I'm kind of tired of dicking with it!!!!

Monday Open Track days are going well. Attendance throughout the day and evening is good. I'm having a good time.

So here's what I see as the overall goal for Open Track Mondays at Inslot's Checkered Flag Raceway:

1. Provide ample time for all racers in attendance to practice and tune cars.

2. Have a minimum of two short races during the day and evening. These races will be designed to allow racers to compare their skill and equipment to other racers.

3. Keep the atmosphere low key and casual.

With those three goals in mind here are three classes of cars we will be racing. These classes are nothing new, and will be used for the short races. They are existing classes with some changes allowed specifically for running at Checkered Flag.

1. 4.5 Flexi NASCAR. This is the Northwest True Scale racing class. 4 inch chassis will be allowed at Checkered Flag.

4.5 FLEXI NASCAR General rules

BODIES

Body must completely cover the frame and guide flag, from both top and front views.
All wheel openings must be cut open to reveal the full tire. Must have clear windows and a painted 3-dimensional driver figure. NASCAR paint styles with three numbers are required. Body height is 1.750”, measured from bottom of chassis to center of roof.

FRAME

Any 4.5 stamped steel chassis. Chassis may be modified to run a 1/8th inch axle. Wheel base must not exceed 4.5”. Frame may be weighted and reinforced. Frame may be bent. Motor plate may be slotted. Lead wire restraints may be soldered to frame. Pin tubes no longer than 1.25” may be soldered to frame to attach body. No other cutting or grinding is allowed. Car must have .055” ground clearance without guide flag supporting the car. Any commercial guide and wire may be used. No weighted guides.

MOTOR

Proslot #2101, 2001, 2003 or Parma 502 motor. No ball bearings. Motor may be soldered, taped or siliconed in place. Armature may be shimmed and the commutator may be trued.

AXLE AND GEARS

Cars must use 1/8” axle on the rear. Front axles may be 1/8” or 3/32”. Gears must be plastic 48 pitch. Gear ratio open. Oilites may be glued, LOCTITE’d or soldered in place. No ball bearings.

TIRES

Front: minimum allowable diameter is 13/16 (.8125). Minimum width is .500”.
Rear: Any rear tire combination may be used. Maximum track width is 3.25”. Appropriate spacers may be used to achieve this width. Minimum rear wheel diameter is .750”.

*These rules are the same as Tom’s World rules except for the motor rule which states:
“Anybody’s 16D, balanced or not.”
Checkered Flag will allow 4 inch chassis entries.

2. Production Hardbody 1:32. This is basically the NASTE Open Class (only a little more open).

Full fendered 1/32 scale RTR production sportscars  which ran in FIA, IMSA, or SCCA sanctioned events. Must use a readily available production chassis. After market 3D chassis are allowed.  Any stock unmodified production motor available for 1/32 cars. Any wheels, tires, gears, and guide flag. Bodies must be injection molded or resin cast and not vacuum molded.

3. Over 55. This is a loose (very loose) version of the NASTE Over 50 Class. Think of it as an semi-open vintage class.

Any vintage slot car that is not of an angle-winder motor configuration. Chassis may be production or scratcbuilt, but may NOT use a floppy pan design. This is to limit entries to the technology of pre-hinged pan designs.

* Lowest points of chassis must meet .055 inch minimum clearance.

* Chassis may have weight added in the form of lead pieces.

* You can NOT add side pans to the chassis.

Everything else is open. This will be a "bracket" or Break-Out" class with the break out lap time set at 6.5 seconds. If you complete any laps quicker than the break out time those laps will not be counted.

All of this is subject to change if racers think it is necessary.   =========Bill

* Rules amended 7/15/2021

Where my Asp!  And a 6.6 second motor...

"Big Smooth"

MR Bill are we allowed to had any weight to over 50 cars or brass side pods?

The secondnidator

Add weight = yes.

Side pans = NO.

kidvolt wrote:

Where my Asp!  And a 6.6 second motor...

ASP is good now! Just don't run under 6.5 seconds! Gear or adjust accordingly!

Just for reference, I was unable to make a 6.5 second lap with my NASTE Over 50 Class Cheetah. It is a 36D powered Champion side winder chassis with a clear body, and urethane tires. The best I could do was a 6.98 lap.

not sure what i was getting with mine on Monday., was to busy trying to keep it in the slot and dodge  the rest of the field, anyway to go back at look at the race data?

The secondnidator

wb0s wrote:

Add weight = yes.

Side pans = NO.

ok thanks.

The secondnidator

I don't think I could figure it out Doc. Sorry.

A 6.5 second lap is pretty quick for an Over 50/55 car. My car is no slouch and I was a good half second off that mark running quite a few laps on an inside lane (blue).

If we need to adjust that mark we will. Tune 'em up and bring them out Monday and we'll see where we're at!

I have moved what I have written up of the rules for the Sprint Races on Monday Open Track days under a new topic. This will help me keep track of them and easily make any necessary updates or changes.

Read them here: http://naste.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=13257#p13257

OK, I'm up to the third computer for a back up. I finally got the Trackmate and Race Coordinator programs loaded properly. Today I did some testing of both programs in both Practice mode and Race mode. I'm happy to say both programs worked without any errors. I think I also solved the monitor problem by resetting the sleep and screen saver timer settings. But of course all of this will be validated on Monday when it is put into practical application...........

I also did just a bit of work on an old Slot.it Nissan R390. With a little mild tuning I got lap times below the 6 second mark. A little more work on it and I might be able to keep up with Doc.

We had a good turn out for yesterday's open track Monday. 10 racers, two of which came up from Eugene, put down some rubber on the track. There were quite a few good on track battles with many different types of cars throughout the day.

I would like to have some short sprint type races mixed in with practice sessions. At this point we are still developing the details for accomplishing this. I consider Inslot's Checkered Flag Raceway to be the PASER Club home track. PASER's car classes have been developed over a long period of time and are well detailed in their rules. My plan is to also promote and hold Northwest True Scale races as well as NASTE races. Like PASER, Northwest True Scale has well developed classes with rules that are well detailed.

Which NASTE car classes are well suited to the Checkered Flag track has been an ongoing area of discussion. Since NASTE is heavily weighted towards 1/32 hardbody cars and running them on tighter tracks at lower voltages, some changes to those cars is required for them to run well at ICFR. Things like additional weight bias, a deep "wood track" style guide flag, dropping the flag lower in some cases, and the newer natural rubber style rear tires, are all modifications that will improve handling.

With that said, discussions late Monday about specific NASTE classes to run/race at ICFR (in addition to the usual PASER and NWTS classes) ended with a Stock Womp Class and the modification of the OVER 50 Class. These rules are in the development stage and the rules are subject to change as we progress through further development. Once we decide on the final rules I will update the NASTE Official Rules for these two classes. But for now here's what we will start with:

Stock Womp Class:

Class Goal: Keep this a budget class, limiting it to primarily STOCK 1/32 Parma Womp chassis, keeping the cars as close to OEM components as practical. Final motor spec will be determined with the goal of keeping the cars quick, with low cost motors.   Some speed may be sacrificed to gain better handling and closer competition.

Must use a STOCK 1/32 Parma Womp STEEL chassis. - NO modifications. That means NO bracing, NO bending, etc.

Must use the stock 1/8" front axle, stock front wheels, and stock front "O" ring tires. Front wheels may be set up to rotate individually.

Minimum ground clearance of .055" at lowest point.

A final motor spec has not yet been determined. We are currently considering the Piranha 21.5K FC-130 S-Can (available through Professor Motor $7.99), and the Predator FC-130 25K S-Can (available through Slot Car Corner $7.99). I would personally rather use FK type motors, so I will check to see what is available at a low cost. It appears the Professor Motor FK 25K motor is no longer available. Until a final decision is made on a spec motor, we will allow any motor rated at 25K or less. This will also give us an opportunity to evaluate other motors. Please use motors that are READILY available to everyone!

OVER 50 Class:

Class Goal: To provide racers the opportunity to run and race their old '60's type slot cars. Rules limiting the modifications to the cars to retain the classic feel and tradition. Minor modifications will be allowed to enhance the cars performance, durability, and "fun factor".

Body: Clear type bodies or injection plastic molded bodies are permitted. Clear type bodies can be no less that .010" thick.
          Bodies must be representative of cars raced or produced before 1970.

Chassis: Any production chassis manufactured in the 1960's may be used (i.e. Classic, Gar-Vic, Cox, Strombecker, Russkit, AMT,
             etc.).

Motor: Motors must be of the type the chassis was originally designed for (i.e. 36D, 26D, early 16D, 13D, Pitman open motors,
          KTM style "padlock" motors). Late model 16D type motors are NOT legal for this class.

Tires: Rear tires may be newer style "natural rubber", with a minimum diameter of 1 inch, and with a maximum width TBD.
         Minimum ground clearance: .055" at lowest point (includes spur or crown gear).

Car weight: Maximum car weight shall not exceed 205 grams.

Allowable modifications: Motor = NONE.
                                    OK to replace original threaded REAR axle with drill blank type to allow use of set screw type wheels.
                                    OK to replace original spur, crown, or pinion gears.
                                    OK to replace original guide flag.
                                    OK to replace original type guide flag braid.
                                    OK to add weight in the form of lead or brass for ballast. Added weight must be well secured to chassis.

These rules are preliminary and will be refined as testing and competition develops. Because of the broadness of the 60's chassis designs as well as motor developments, there will be some disparity between different car types and brands. But the real goal of this class is to get the old cars back on the track and have fun with them! Keeping this in mind these basic rules will get us started!

Wow! Ten racers that is a very good turnout through out the day!
I am in-between jobs and couldn't pass up a cheap round of golf yesterday.
I plan to be out there next Monday!

Yeah, summer time is rough for slot racing. Definitely the off season!

It will be good to see you back at the track Matt!

Mr bill our slot car pusher.. what do you have for womp bodies ???? looking for sport car or can am ...

The secondnidator

I have literally HUNDREDS of bodies that fit Womps!!!! They are available for you to look at tomorrow!

This next Monday (August 9th) Open Track Day we will be holding two separate time trial sessions. One will be held at 3:00 PM, and the other at 6:00 PM. The sessions will be held for OVER 50 and Womp class cars in an effort to establish a minimum lap time for each class, to be used as a break-out times for lap count heat races, and to aid in the further development of these classes.

Cars will be subject to a body off tech inspection prior to the start of the time trials to ensure they comply to the current rules (the current rules are under development and subject to changes. But we do need a start point).

So in addition to the usual cars you bring out, throw in that OVER 50 and Womp car!

I was running a 25k . will i need to de tune or do you want test as is and see if we want to re think the rpm range

The secondnidator

I have updated the rules for the Womp Class to a 25K motor spec. I did a bunch of research today and the number of different 21.5K motors and their availability is somewhat numbered. I think it will make it easier for everyone to get compliant motors if we use the 25K spec. I don't anticipate a great deal of difference in performance between the two.

I think the break-out time will keep the competition close anyway. I anticipate gearing to come into play to help keep my car consistent and below the break-out lap time.

Take a look at the rules. I just completed the last update about 15 minutes ago.

............It's a work in progress!

Bring those Womps out Monday! I cut down a couple sets of tires yesterday to meet spec. and installed them on my Womp (yes I actually worked on a car yesterday!). This car is my test mule.

The car has a Professor Motor 25K fk can motor https://www.professormotor.com/Fox-10-M … tr1032.htm   . I am using a 7 tooth pinion, and started out with a 28 tooth crown. With the urethane tires on the car I ran a best lap time of 6.086.

I replaced the urethane tires with a pair of used natural rubber tires I narrowed to the class spec of .600", and cut down to .790" diameter. A note here: if you are running a crown gear larger than 28 tooth, you will not pass tech for ground clearance with .790" tires. With the natural rubber tires I was able to run a best time of 5.763.

I replaced the 28 tooth crown gear with a 27 tooth. I was able to lower my best time to a 5.511, and the motor still ran without over heating.

I then modified the front axle making the front wheels/tires rotate independently. My best time was lowered to 5.496.

Lastly I narrowed/lightened the rear axle and dropped my best time again to 5.463. All of this took place over 181 laps of testing.  The net result is a car I can run average laps around the 5.6 to 5.7 mark.

Today I plan to spend some time cutting tires so I can have a few sets on hand at Monday's open track. The old natural rubber tires that are no longer good for the 1/24 cars we run seem to work very well on the Womps once they are cut down and narrowed.

I took some Womps to Bob's today. They really like his track.

My "just for fun" Womps were smoother and faster with 21.5 Piranha Motors than My "race" Womp with the 25K motor. I came home changed the rubber and removed the K130 25K motor and installed a 25K C130 Piranha. The acceleration at least on my track is much smoother, I'll have to see how it runs on Monday.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/mitchwomp.jpg

Post's attachments

228931797_10223680288969833_147824397983158258_n.jpg 333.15 kb, 1 downloads since 2021-08-07 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

are we allowed to solder in the rear  bushing on the womps????

The secondnidator