Re: MONDAY OT (Open Track)

docdoom wrote:

Most likely be my last time here. Getting very crowded  and touristy. They trying to pass new taxes on people coming over and if they pass  it will drive most working class people  from not coming. One is a 400.oo impact tax per person that fly in or cruise ship and the other is 100.00  a day condo hotel impact tax.thats not counting the extra 200.00 they added onto the car rental.

This is one of the reasons the Mrs and I never go to Hawaii.
Last time we looked we decided to go to Costa Rica instead and this year went to Mexico.

We were there probably 25-30 yrs. ago. It is like Disneyland to me: once is enough. We did enjoy it though. If the taxes are like Docdoom says, that will make up a lot of people's mind on where to go for a vacation.

well walked out side at 2pm and  turned right around and walked right back into the house.  way to hot today. try again next week after it cools down.

The secondnidator

I surely don't blame you or any one else Doc! I wandered out there a couple times today but didn't stay in the shop long. The shop wasn't too bad but the house with the AC was MUCH cooler!!!

It's cooling off nice now, it was 116 in Tigard about 3 hours ago, now it's 86.

31 (edited by Mitch58 June 28, 2021 7:58 pm)

I thought about braving your shop but the drive over worried me more.

Old high mileage trucks and old high mileage men don't do well in this kind of weather.

I hear ya Mitch and I'm with you buddy! I didn't even like the walk across the deck to the shop let alone actually going anywhere! I know I wouldn't have gone anywhere to run slot cars!

Good news is I'm really pleased with how cool it stayed in the shop even without air conditioning! Downstairs and track side it never got above 83 degrees, even after two days above 105! Upstairs it got up to 95 degrees just before it started cooling down this evening. But even upstairs at 95 is still 20 degrees below today's high temperature!

So I have a portable AC unit I bought used for the upstairs. Problem is it did not come with the exhaust ducting, which I thought was no big deal. Well, color me wrong on that! I thought I could use dryer duct parts and components to complete the install. WRONG! Dryer duct is 4 inch and the AC unit uses a 5.5 inch flexible duct. Try finding that.......what I found out today was, you can find 4 inch and 5 inch but that's it. So today I ordered the parts I need to get the AC unit up and running for the upstairs. After all it is only June.............we may have some more hot weather before racing season!

Insulating like you did was a great move, Our garage has none. We have a freezer and an old refrigerator out there. I don't think either one of them shut off all day long.
Once it passed 110 the AC in the house starts to loose ground a bit and it starts to run continuous just to keep the upstairs comfortable.
  The basement on the other hand got so chilly that I had to put socks on my cold feet.

Basements are AWESOME! I've had two houses with basements and loved them both for those basements! The perfect place for a slot car track! The temperature rarely varies at all, all year long!

35 (edited by howie June 29, 2021 6:43 am)

I went to the Fruit stand not far from the house to buy a gallon of milk for the grand kids yesterday. When one of them started pouring milk into a bowl of cereal he said: "oh crap, this milk is sour". Sure enough it was mighty chunky! Took it back and there was a sign on the outdoor refrigerators stating, "sorry, no milk is available, all the milk in these outdoor refrigerators is no good". They must have discovered after I bought my milk that the milk had gone sour. Beings they are closed on Sunday, I imagine the hot temps all day Sunday was too much for the units outdoors. A lot of milk inventory went to hell.

Those temps are very good Bill!
There are a variety of exhaust hoses for the units.
Does yours have a place for an intake hose and exhaust hose?
If so, highly recommend getting two hoses (double hose kits are usually in the $75ish range)
It will allow the unit to dispel the water it builds up so it will not shut off due to having to be drained.

Matt, I was having trouble finding a hose kit to fit this unit. The exhaust host for the unit is 5.5" which is an oddball. Most are 5" or 6". The factory replacement hose kits are out of stock with no know restock date. I ordered a 6" universal kit and I'll just make it work.

There is a place for a drain hose for condensate, but of course I do not have the associated fittings to make that work either (buying used is not always such a good deal!). Once I get the exhaust hose connected I'll try it out and see how long it will run before it has to be drained. If that is an issue I'm sure I can jury-rig something there too!

One of our units (No Central AC) has the dual hose and never needs to be drained.
Our other unit is a single hose.
Depending on temp and humidity it can run for 45minutes to several hours before needed to be drained.
For this heat wave I bought a single step stool (300lb. limit Rubbermaid, $11) and put a large plastic storage bin under the drain hole and would only have to be emptied once every 4 hours or so (about 2/3 full so I wouldn't spill it all over the room)
That could be an option for long hot days in the shop.

Matt, that sounds like a good plan for the shop. Next time you're over let's talk!

We set ours with the back end over the kitchen sink and just let it drain as it will.  It's kept the kitchen quite livable the past few days.  After we replaced all the windows the house stays pretty reasonable until the mid-90's then it starts heating up.

"Big Smooth"

We had a ton of extra insulation blown into our attic in the spring of '19. It definitely paid off!

wb0s wrote:

We had a ton of extra insulation blown into our attic in the spring of '19. It definitely paid off!

We just did back in March and I believe it did make a difference, plus we got paid to do it. That’s a win win!

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I decided it was time to strip off the rubber that's been laid down since April and clean the track. I started a thorough cleaning today, including the cleaning of the braid. This also gives me the opportunity to inspect the wear and tear on the new braid. Some of you may recall my comments when I was installing the new braid about what a sloppy job I had done. My hope was that the running of cars would clean up some of the mess. Well I am happy to report that is exactly what transpired! Not only does the braid look really good now, I found no spots of damage to the braid yet. No rolling or loose spots, it all looks really good, and I am very happy with the final product!

Today it reached 79 degrees in the shop with the overhead door up/open, so I suspended my cleaning for the day. There is not much left to do so I will finish the cleaning in the morning when it is cooler. After a vacuuming, around noon I will glue the track back up with the sprayer and Bob McFarland's patented "Track Zamboni" (trust me, you'd have to see, but it works awesome!).

The overhead door will closed by 9:00AM to keep the shop cool. Track will be open at 1:00PM as usual for anyone interested.

Good news on your track Bill. I plan on making it one of these Mondays, I have a couple cars to test and just as important: a lot of BS'n to catch up on!!

Thanks once again Bill for opening your doors and letting us tackles souls  to run at such a top shelf  place. Hopefully we can start getting some racing in towards the evening hours one of these Monday.

The secondnidator

Thanks Doc, and you're welcome!

The Monday open track days have been fun! Interest is growing to do some actual racing along with the open track session. Here is what I am proposing and this next Monday we can work on the details. After discussing this some more with John Gill, what I would like to try is running a couple short lap based races in between open track sessions during the day/evening. For example: doors open at 1:00 PM. At 3:00 PM we run a short race for those in attendance that wish to participate. Depending how many people participate, I'm thinking one hour max to complete the race. Then at 6:00 PM we run a second race, same scenario with a different class (or it could be the same class).

When we first started the NASTE races we raced 10 lap heat races in a work up type format, leading into a 20 lap mains. The racing program moved along very quickly and sit outs were short. I'd like to try something similar along these lines. So for this next Monday (July 12th) I am adding to the Monday night schedule on the calendar a 3:00 PM race for the NASTE Over 50 Class, and a Flexi Class race at 6:00 PM.

A note in regards to the Flexi Class race scheduled for 6:00 PM. Bob Nakamura has a 4.5" Flexi NASCAR race scheduled August 14th. I don't know if everyone has a 4.5" flexi type chassis, so for the Monday Open Track Days I am allowing any flexi-type chassis to compete. We will loosely follow the rules for the 4.5" NASCAR Flexi Class (http://naste.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1259) with the exception to allow 4" wheelbase chassis and other body types.

These short races will give us some opportunities to race cars we don't race often, and give us a chance to dial in cars for upcoming races. I'm open to suggestions but this is what we will start with for this next Monday.    =======Bill

Well I can put on my big boys pants on now. My new 1/24 controller showed  up. No more hot hands running those super d"s

The secondnidator

wb0s wrote:

Thanks Doc, and you're welcome!

The Monday open track days have been fun! Interest is growing to do some actual racing along with the open track session. Here is what I am proposing and this next Monday we can work on the details. After discussing this some more with John Gill, what I would like to try is running a couple short lap based races in between open track sessions during the day/evening. For example: doors open at 1:00 PM. At 3:00 PM we run a short race for those in attendance that wish to participate. Depending how many people participate, I'm thinking one hour max to complete the race. Then at 6:00 PM we run a second race, same scenario with a different class (or it could be the same class).

When we first started the NASTE races we raced 10 lap heat races in a work up type format, leading into a 20 lap mains. The racing program moved along very quickly and sit outs were short. I'd like to try something similar along these lines. So for this next Monday (July 12th) I am adding to the Monday night schedule on the calendar a 3:00 PM race for the NASTE Over 50 Class, and a Flexi Class race at 6:00 PM.

A note in regards to the Flexi Class race scheduled for 6:00 PM. Bob Nakamura has a 4.5" Flexi NASCAR race scheduled August 14th. I don't know if everyone has a 4.5" flexi type chassis, so for the Monday Open Track Days I am allowing any flexi-type chassis to compete. We will loosely follow the rules for the 4.5" NASCAR Flexi Class (http://naste.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1259) with the exception to allow 4" wheelbase chassis and other body types.

These short races will give us some opportunities to race cars we don't race often, and give us a chance to dial in cars for upcoming races. I'm open to suggestions but this is what we will start with for this next Monday.    =======Bill

maybe adding a 1/32 class also to the night say gt1 cars from slot it and revoslot
Nissan R390 GT1, Ferrari f40 McLaren F1 GTR, Porsche 911 GT1 RS0043 Toyota GT1 Mercedes CLK

The secondnidator

I was thinking of something like that Doc, but I wasn't sure what might be a good class for this track.

50 (edited by docdoom July 9, 2021 7:21 pm)

I ran my slot it lmp  that I run at Al's track and was down in the mid 5 at your track so you can get a 1/32 to work there.  #sc 2008 scaleauto 15mm foams

The secondnidator