Re: well we all are thinking it

Over 50 Al wrote:

Odd Thursday is still on. There are usually only 8 or 10 of us. I'm in the high risk demographic but that does not mean I'm going to put my life on hold. I think we should be extra careful keeping our hands and cars clean. Be careful about what we touch. I will have the computer my cars and all surfaces wiped down with alcohol wipes. As long as we don't sneeze or cough on each other we'll be fine.
Race On
              Al

Thanks Al, we should all do our part to combat the spread while in his home. Washing hands regularly is a good option and he has a sink and soap available at all times.

I appreciate you having us over for some fun!

Zack

I think a little fun is what everyone needs in the middle of all this.  I might even show up.  See if you have fun now!

Well, after all my ranting on this subject, you might think this is strange, but... after consultation with my medical advisor (SWMBO), I have been cautioned to avoid tonight's race meeting. Since I'm in the aforementioned "at-risk" demographic, it's probably wisest to obey. Have fun tonight, and stay healthy!! See you next time.

I too, will not be attending unfortunately. One of my co-workers is home sick and we have no way to know if it is the actual virus or not. If he does not develop fever and I show no symptoms I will race at Howies this weekend.

But because of the worry of infecting others who are more of the at-risk demographic, I have decided not to attend tonight until I am sure I have not been exposed by my co-worker.

Zack

As the day goes on I'm felling like I might be catching something. A little stuffed up maybe a little sore throat. Might be the pollen in the air , I don't know and hate to cancel at this late hour but Better safe than sorry. No racing today .
    Al

Better safe than sorry!

Well one more thing to be added to the many other events  that have been canceled. Every body stay safe and hope we all can try do these all again in a few weeks.

The secondnidator

Get feeling better soon Al. Way better to be safe than sorry in these unusual times.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

been really slow around here just a shot out, sound off if every thing is going ok with you all. roll call..

The secondnidator

We're good here. Hunkered down...........just going through boxes and Ebayin'................

Same here

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Chris has returned to working from home, so we are just hanging out. Spending a lot of time downstairs finishing up things I started long ago, not too many "racing" projects but several "for fun" projects.

sound like landscaping and track work for mitch,,,

The secondnidator

I am wondering about Al, hoping his off night was just an off night...  All is normal around Casa Kouba though- ignoring the yard and basically any adult responsibilities.  Walking with the wife and dog, binging through some TV shows, building a SpecKart for the (likely to be cancelled) event at Maryhill in April, working on the boat, monkeying with the truck, and actually driving the GT a little bit too!

My commute has been fantastic lately though.  So I've got that going for me... which is nice.

Hope all is well around everybody else's campfires.

I talked to Al recently. He was better the next day and was pretty sure it was just his springtime allergies kicking in.

Just watching my stock go down ($200+K) and wondering now how I'll pay for the renovation of my shop/Airbnb that we had planned for this year. Finally got the plans approved (after 2 years of fighting with the county) and now there's no money to build it. So the slot track is covered up, all the cars are packed away (except those for a couple of classes in my box) and I'm stuck at home with no way to test my new DiFalco controller.

But...nobody's sick, and we're all still pretty healthy. Daughters are "sheltering in place." My mother-in-law is confined to her room in her "senior living center" where 3 have tested positive; she's feeling fine. They deliver meals to her room and disinfect everything several times a day, so she's probably going to be okay, but at 88, is wondering what's going to happen...

And our lousy government can't agree on how to get things going again.

42 (edited by docdoom March 23, 2020 12:55 pm)

Well all my plans to camp out at Costco  for the zombie  attack  have been totally  crushed by the Coby19 viruses.  There no way I could camp out there  with no tp on the shelf. Looks like I'm going to have to build a good old cold war nuclear  shelter  bunker instead and stock it with mre's instead. No need for tp with those things.

The secondnidator

I think there is a napkin in each MRE that you could use as TP?

We're ok here. I'm a little stuffed up but that happens every year about this time. When I get back from a walk outside it gets worse. I'm helping Donna make masks for clinics and hospitals. I can sew pretty good in a staight line. Staying home sounds like the best plan for a while .

Good on you, Al and Donna! If we had a machine and fabric, we could do the same. People helping people is how we'll get through this mess.

Odd Thursday races will be postponed until better times. Washington closed down fishing statewide which means Oregon had to close the Columbia. Wow just when it should start to be good. I hope Oregon doesn't follow Washington and close statewide

well with all thats going on maybe we should just call the championship done and make plans for next years

The secondnidator

Some interesting things I've found out while researching stuff. Apparently, people are only being tested for the virus if they show symptoms or have been in contact with those who have been tested positive. So far, Oregon has tested 11,426 people, with 548 testing positive for the virus, a positive rate of 4.7%. That means that of the tested people (those with symptoms or who have had contact), only 5% are testing positive; 95% of the people tested DO NOT HAVE the virus. This might mean a couple of things: the virus is less contagious than previously believed, or that "social distancing" is helping to slow the spread, which is the whole idea behind all of this quarantine stuff. Another possibility is that a LOT of people have the virus, but either have symptoms too mild to warrant testing, or are asymptomatic themselves. Either way, that is encouraging.

Another encouraging note is that a clinical study in France of 80 infected people, in which they were treated with the combination of hydroxychloroquine (the anti-malaria drug) and azithromycin (antibiotic), 78 of those in the trial recovered, 1 passed away (was too far gone at the beginning of the trial) and one remains in intensive care. This is a small sample, but the results are very promising, as it builds on another trial in which similar results were obtained. They're also experimenting with this same drug combo in New York.

We will beat this, and probably sooner than later.

We're just over half of the championship races. I'm not giving up yet. We will have to wait and see but we race all year anyway so it doesn't matter much to me if we run later in the year with the championship series .

Points? Who cars about points? I race just for the shear joy of racing.