Topic: well we all are thinking it

with the whole country going bat shit crazy over COVID-19 is there any thought on putting a hold on our racing also?????... sure hate to see somebody get sick from someone that might have it and not know at the time......

The secondnidator

Re: well we all are thinking it

You’re just worried I’ll beat you at DTM!

3 (edited by docdoom March 13, 2020 7:39 am)

Those dtms are a wild card for sure
But has a group most of us full into that age group that is at risk for these viruses  I don't want to add any more name tags on Bill track  because we didn't  think it was a big deal. We can all ways race cars again in a month
We can't  if your 6 feet under

The secondnidator

They’ve cancelled everything else I’m interested in, I need some sort of diversion from the the events of the world

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I heard that the state wants to cancel everything that will attract over 200 + people! So far we are WAY under that figure! But each to their own, if you don't want to come to a race that is your decision and shouldn't have anything to do with the other racers who choose to participate.

I think if we treat this as a fairly more contagious version of the regular flu and act accordingly, we won't have a huge problem. Cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough, wash hands thoroughly afterwards, keep surfaces clean, stand a few feet away from each other, and let me win. That will solve the problem.

:^)

Really, I think this has been blown way out of proportion. Yes, it's serious, but no more serious that SARS, MERs or H1N1. Many more deaths from each of those. Warm weather will cut down on the spread.

I mean, come on...we have 150 companies in America producing toilet paper. Do we REALLY think we're going to run out?

On a serious note, here's a very good site for balanced, comprehensive info on the pandemic, updated daily:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03 … ronavirus/

I think we should have a race, The Corona 100!

I hear Lysol is an awesome tire cleaner/conditioner! We could mist Al's entire basement like it's a race in the English fog!

Winner gets a case of beer (obviously you know what brand)!

If we believe and follow the hype then we can figure we are all gonna get it anyway! Personally my plan is to just keep on living until SOMETHING kills me!

Well that's my plane also. Hell you take a chance everytime you drive car and the light turns green that some body that in a big hurry stops for the red....

The secondnidator

On a more serious note...I do think it is a concern for those who have a weakened immune system. I will go race if it is open, but would totally understand if it was cancelled. As long as I get 30 series points because I was willing to race :-) Lol

I think some extra considerations should be taken to protect people from direct contact.

If people are considerate about washing hands etc. We can race without much risk.

Zack

well it just keeps getting better by the the hour.
Gov. Jay Inslee said late Sunday he would sign an emergency declaration temporarily shutting down bars, restaurants and places of entertainment and recreation statewide, and cap all public gatherings at 50 people, in the latest bid to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus pandemic.
The governor’s executive action coincided with a similar order by King County officials, both set for Monday, which will also prohibit gatherings with fewer than 50 people unless specific criteria for hygiene and social distancing are met, according to statements released Sunday night. The orders would allow restaurants to provide takeout and delivery services but not allow patrons to dine in, according to the statements.
Juts of mater of time before kate brown follows suit.....
just nuts

The secondnidator

On the upside Doc, Chris is finishing several sewing projects and I'm finding cars in the back of drawers that I forgot I had.

O great now it is no group larger than 10. Let's all just crawl onto a hole and pull the cover over our heads for the next 4 weeks.  These is just a bad dream right...

The secondnidator

The sky is falling, the sky is falling...

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Were gonna be fine guys!

Zack

Unless you are in the "at-risk" demographic (elderly, immuno-compromised, diabetes, etc.), you probably won't get anything worse than a case of what would look like the "regular" flu. The hysteria is loony. In fact, the more healthy people who interact with others (who are not compromised), the better for the more rapid end of the pandemic, as they will develop the necessary immunity. All we are doing with this craziness about keeping "socially distant" is creating the conditions for a massive later infection as those who are "healthy" (but infected) now venture out into the environment. It does not hurt to be cognizant of the effects on the at-risk folks, and to be extra careful with personal and business hygiene, but to avoid everything and destroy the economy in the process is worse than the disease itself. My $.02

Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44. you dont see them shutting down the roads or taking our cars away do you. just nuts

The secondnidator

20 (edited by Mitch58 March 16, 2020 9:28 pm)

Chris works in a medical clinic with sick people for 8 hours a day. A Doctor she works closely with had to get tested this morning, still waiting on results. If she is exposed then I'm exposed.

We haven't been staying close to home in the off hours for our protection, I've been staying home for your protection.

After all, some of you are old farts. Grumpy old farts at that.

My youngest daughter just lost a month of her restaurant job. We have dog care clients whose restaurant is closed now for a month, with no notice that that was going to be done. All of their hourly workers are without jobs for a month, and food deliveries that they're going to receive (contracted for before the shutdown) will spoil. This is insane. We don't solve anything by shutting down completely, except for plunging the nation and the world into a global recession. And you know what happens in global recessions, often?

The militaries of the world are ALWAYS employed. Think about it.

We appreciate the general idea of "social distancing," but it's really only necessary for those in at-risk demographics. If you have family and friends that are susceptible, by all means avoid visiting them until this passes, perhaps for months. But the rest of the country, especially younger folks and those in southern (warmer) climates are in very little danger. And as I've said above, we risk having a repeat of all of this later after the lockdowns are lifted, because the virus isn't going away, it will always be around, and if we haven't got people developing immunities to it, BOOM—the same s**t happens all over again.

So is Odd Thursday still on?

it still on last I heard......

The secondnidator

Odd Thursday is still on. There are usually only 8 or 10 of us. I'm in the high risk demographic but that does not mean I'm going to put my life on hold. I think we should be extra careful keeping our hands and cars clean. Be careful about what we touch. I will have the computer my cars and all surfaces wiped down with alcohol wipes. As long as we don't sneeze or cough on each other we'll be fine.
Race On
              Al