1 (edited by Mt Goat February 12, 2020 7:28 am)

Topic: Controllers

I’m looking to buy a controller that will be competitive and versatile (so I can race 1/32 and 1/24)I see the Difalco DD268 says that it will basically run anything from H.O. to G7. Is this a good one? Or does a guy need to step up and buy the DD281 with an extra 1/32 module? Or maybe other options?

Re: Controllers

I just opted for a DD304. That will run everything and it has traction control as well. DiFalcos seem pretty bulletproof, so even though they're $$$$$$, they're worth it in the end.

I like the sound of that! Does the DD304 run the super 16's too?

Tom, here's my 2 cents on those controllers you listed. First off Difalcos are my favorite controllers. They're tough! I've seen problems with other controllers, especially if you accidentally hook up backwards. I've only seen one issue with a Difalco.

The Difalco DD268 is the Fanatic model. It features multiple small potentiometers, one for each of the "bands" the controller wiper makes contact with. This controller has almost infinite adjustability. The compromise with this adjustability is the need to manually adjust each potentiometer for your baseline control. Once you have your baseline set you can adjust just like the other controller models using the sensitivity "knob". It can be time consuming setting up your baseline, depending on how particular you are, and the baseline settings may be something you want to change depending on tracks or cars. With this controller a notebook for keeping notes regarding settings might be handy. I have one of these controllers you can look at and try if you'd like before making a decision and purchase.

The DD281 is the top of the line newest Genesis model. The Genesis models use an interchangeable transistor network instead of the individual potentiometers for the wiper bands for the baseline settings. The only downside to this versus the Fanatic is; to change your baseline control settings you need to change out the "network" for a different one. For our racing that would probably mean one network for 1/24, and one network for 1/32. With the Fanatic you would just change each of the 12 or 15 potentiometer settings. The DD281 also comes equipped with a traction control potentiometer and the Pro brake potentiometer. I like the traction control option, but I'm not sure the Pro brake potentiometer is really needed for the racing we do around here. The DD271 is the same controller without traction control. I also have a DD281. It is the controller of mine you've used before.

The DD270 gives you the Genesis controller without the traction control and Pro brake potentiometer (uses the economy pot.). I think one advantage of the Pro brake potentiometer is it is less likely to burn up if you hook up backwards. The DD280 is just the DD270 with traction control added.

The DD304 Stan mentions is basically the DD280 but primarily designed for 1/32 racing. It comes with a network for racing 1/32 cars whereas the 200 series Genesis controllers come with networks for 1/24 racing. I'm sure this controller would work for both 1/32 and 1/24 with a network change. My personal choice was to go with the 200 series controllers for 1/24 because I feel the components are more robust. Most 1/24 scale cars use a lot more current than the 1/32 cars which means more amperage through the circuit.

When in doubt just email Jim Difalco for his advice. He is great about responding to email questions and will be happy to build you the right controller to suit your needs!

Mine has the traction control. For me that makes all the difference.
Rather than using two or three controllers I use this for everything.

Which one do you use Mitch?

Stan,

Do you run a lot of the 1/24 cars with your DD304?

The 1/24 cars that need different networks would be the high-powered wing cars. Not necessary for the 1/24s we run (BRMs) or I think for the ones they run at Rapid Raceway. I have not received my DD304 yet because it's taking my bank AGES to transfer to PayPal to pay Jim. I have used Zack's DiFalco (I think it's a DD304) and I really liked it. I have been using a DS controller that worked fine, but it's a little unreliable (solder joints come loose every now and then). There's a good explanation on the DiFalco site of how all the controllers compare; you can also e-mail Jim for info. He will ship free to Oregon, so it's best if you order directly from him.

Thanks everyone! If I ordered direct from Difalco is it at retail price or is there a discount?

I believe it will be retail ordering straight from Jim Difalco.

If you order one of the Genesis network controllers you will eventually want different networks for the 1/32 cars and the 1/24 cars at Howie's. A higher overall ohm network for 1/32 cars at Al's will work at Howie's, but the overall response and sensitivity is going to be really soft for the higher current 1/24 cars.

Also if you get the DD304 you will probably want to swap out the heat sink for the larger one. If I remember correctly Zack's controller got really hot the first time he used it at Howie's. You might check with Zack for details.

Thanks for all the help guys! Jim Difalco suggested a DD304 with an upgraded heatsink and 5 ohm brake. Since the DD304 comes with a 1/32 network he also suggested that I order a 1/24 network. I ordered it all at 1:30 PM last Friday and it showed up yesterday. He knocked it out and shipped it on Saturday! So far I couldn't be more pleased with his service. My understanding is that this is the same controller as the DD281 but with a 5 ohm brake instead of the 3 ohm.  I hope to get to use it soon! I think Stan is getting the same controller.

Mt Goat wrote:

Thanks for all the help guys! Jim Difalco suggested a DD304 with an upgraded heatsink and 5 ohm brake. Since the DD304 comes with a 1/32 network he also suggested that I order a 1/24 network. I ordered it all at 1:30 PM last Friday and it showed up yesterday. He knocked it out and shipped it on Saturday! So far I couldn't be more pleased with his service. My understanding is that this is the same controller as the DD281 but with a 5 ohm brake instead of the 3 ohm.  I hope to get to use it soon! I think Stan is getting the same controller.

Very cool dude, you will love it! Even when it felt foreign to me I was still faster with it!

Zack

Yes, Tom, I actually got mine in a couple of days! Can't complain at all about the service, in fact can't say anything but good words for Jim DiFalco! I won't have a chance to use my controller until we get back from vacation, so I'll have to wait until 3/5 to see how it affects my driving. Can't make it any worse...

I’m with you Stan. It couldn’t hurt my driving either!

Mt Goat wrote:

I’m with you Stan. It couldn’t hurt my driving either!

You might be surprised at the little things that might affect your driving.

Sometimes it's something as simple are a prettier car than yours going by on the track... Ooohhh, look at that...

Lol