Topic: Spirit/Fly Lemans car Prep!

I thought I would post up the parts list and pictures for my LeMans build here. I have had a look at the Fly Ferrari 512's as well as the Lola MK3 etc, and the parts should pretty much be the same.

One thing, my Spirit model did have independent front wheels. However the axle bores were the same as a standard 3/32 axle. So one could just be inserted. If you have the larger Fly axle bores. A piece of 3/32 internal diameter brass or styrene tubing can be used to put a solid axle in the front.

Front tire diameter should be tuned to make sure the guide is full seating, and you may need some spacers on the guide to get it just right.

I will be posting pics up later on tonight when I can pull the car apart and document it well.

Parts:
Slot.it 11t Sidewinder Brass pinon. Part# SIPS10

Slot.it 36t Sidewinder Spur gear (you need a 19mm gear). Part# SIGS1936

Slot.it Axles front and rear (I always buy the long ones and cut to length) Part# SIPA01-54

Cb Designs 15x12 Rear insert wheels. Part #CBD1200

I used stock Slot.it plastic wheels on front, you can easily use the stock wheels and tires up front as well.

Slot.it Axle bushings Part #SIPA02

Slotting plus EVO deep wood guide Part # SP101004

Slot.it Tinned soft braid (for tape tracks) Part# SISP18

NSR Supergrip F1 Rear tires. Part# NSR5220.

I will have some install advice and pictures here later on today! I will also be prepping another car, and documenting it step by step as I have done in the past.

Zack

Re: Spirit/Fly Lemans car Prep!

Thanks Zack, this is great!

My lola has every thing that zack called out except that guild. Maybe that is the super duper speed secret that I have been missing. Is there any more talk about going with a spec 18k motor for all classes that run those wildly all over the place black strip motors. I was thinking if you have won two races in any stock 18k class then you would need to go with the hrs motor.wich means pretty much all the regular drivers. New comers could stick with what came in the car. I HAVE FEW THAT JUST SCREAM and I have removed those and replaced with other black strip motors I had. That ran more like normal 18k motor.They just didn't seem fair to race with.....

The secondnidator

I would be ok with a spec motor also, However I am not a big fan of the H&R myself. I know there are not a ton of 18k options out there, and most people already have these.... Plus it just adds cost to this class, which is already one of the more expensive cars to build for our club since you have to replace nearly everything.

Zack

There are a few options  out there. The hr motor would be the easiest  to check and seem to all to run very close from one motor to the next. I think we just all need to sit down at the next club race and discuss these more and see if it something we want to do as a club..

The secondnidator

Sometimes you can convince a dealer to provide volume discounts if club members buy all their stuff at once from the same place. Electric Dreams used to do that for my SoCal club at one time.

I mean, LeMans was some of the closest racing I have seen in our club.....is this really much of a problem?

I think discretion is the main thing. If I thought I had the fastest car on the straights then I would just find another one of my 10 black stripes to put in like you did. My car isn't the fastest on the straight. I honestly think the H&R in my gt40 is much faster than the motor I currently have in my lemans car.

Just seems like if the racing is good and we haven't spent any extra, then why go spec motor on another class.

Zack

Yes it is very close racing. I just remember seeing somebody post about running a spec motor in our 18k motored cars. Maybe if there is a need to replace a motor. The only legal motor would be the HR motor.

The secondnidator

Remember guys,

The only reason this class exist in the first place was because we all had cars in our box and at home that wouldn't compete with the other cars we were racing.

The point was to have a class where we could race these, fly, Scalextric, Ninco, ect against each other in their stock form.

After a couple of rounds we allowed for wheel and axle changes as some of the factory ones were so horribly bad.

in doing so we accidentally created one of the closest most popular classes in the club.

In other classes such as Trams Am Bill decided to use the Black stripe motors because the Pioneer motors were dominating so badly. We decided to use the H&R motor in classic sports car for a similar reason.

We already have a rule in the club that if one car dominates a particular class too many times we can black flag it. I've never seen this rule used, But I'm always looking for another "over 50" car just in case.

it's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude
There must be fifty ways to leave your motor
Fifty ways to leave your motor"
You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free.

The secondnidator

Mitch58 wrote:

Remember guys,

The only reason this class exist in the first place was because we all had cars in our box and at home that wouldn't compete with the other cars we were racing.

The point was to have a class where we could race these, fly, Scalextric, Ninco, ect against each other in their stock form.

After a couple of rounds we allowed for wheel and axle changes as some of the factory ones were so horribly bad.

in doing so we accidentally created one of the closest most popular classes in the club.

In other classes such as Trams Am Bill decided to use the Black stripe motors because the Pioneer motors were dominating so badly. We decided to use the H&R motor in classic sports car for a similar reason.

We already have a rule in the club that if one car dominates a particular class too many times we can black flag it. I've never seen this rule used, But I'm always looking for another "over 50" car just in case.

Well said Mitch! I enjoy this class quite a lot. I think there are plenty of cars out there that can win this class, my car is good for sure but I believe it can be beaten. In fact my 908/3 is only 1 tenth off on lap times, but just a tick harder to drive. That said, I am slowly building 2 more right now!

I think the black flag rule is a good one, but only if people are actually working within the ruleset to knock someone off. I think we have seen this happening in many of the classes lately, and the racing has been all the better for it.

It is funny that like most racing, the powerplant is one of the least concerning items! We already know H&R cars can be fast enough to go 6.5s if the gearing is opened up. So I say if the racing is close....why change.

Zack

"So I say if the racing is close....why change."

I agree with Zack, this class is good as-is and there is no good reason to make changes.

Two things as far as motors go; 1. contrary to some opinions, there are TONS of "black stripe" motors out there! Even if it requires picking up a cheap car to get one (I have literally dozens soon to be available). With that said, what is keeping you from switching out your "black stripe" motor if you think it is too slow?

2. Somewhere, sometime, someone is going to have an H&R motor that seems faster than everybody elses. NONE of these motors are high quality, and although the H&R motors seem to be more consistent, they are still just high volume, high production, low cost, cheap motors! Don't kid yourself we are NOT using high end parts when it comes to motors!

Somewhere, sometime, someone is going to have an H&R motor that seems faster than everybody elses. That would be me.......enough pot stirring.. let get back to more important stuff like. what is Bill bring to the track to sell next???

The secondnidator

I just finished a Fly Carrera 6 up for this class as well. It is a solid running little car the requires a little less work with than the Spirit to get into shape. The Chassis was extremely warped on mine, but I think this is mostly from how the car was stored long term.

I have it running right with or even slightly faster than the Spirit, partly because it is lighter and thus has good acceleration.

Parts are basically the same as before. Except I utilized the CB design "classic" wheels which closely resemble the stock ones. Rear tires are 21.5x10 NSR Supergrips.

I am building a 908/3 and a Lola t70 also right now, I am on a mission to get all of them down to the time of my 512, they are such great cars to work with and see go around the track.

Zack

Since I got my truer I've got my 908 running some decent laps. I gutted my favorite 906 to build the Cheetah  but then the Mailman came, now I can put the 906 back together.

I learned something though, true Urethane tires fast, but Rubber tires slow, and let it run until it's running free or the tire is all balled up like and old sweater.

16 (edited by Wanabgts October 24, 2019 7:29 am)

Mitch58 wrote:

Since I got my truer I've got my 908 running some decent laps. I gutted my favorite 906 to build the Cheetah  but then the Mailman came, now I can put the 906 back together.

I learned something though, true Urethane tires fast, but Rubber tires slow, and let it run until it's running free or the tire is all balled up like and old sweater.

These are good lessons! Yes you have to run the truer very slow, especially on super grips and ultra grips. I actually have a fan mounted on my truer now, that has allowed me to make much faster cuts without overheating the tire. It also blows away the chunks that tend to get stuck on there and cause problems for you.

Some other truer tips and tricks:

A rounded edge on the tire usually takes away some chatter. I use a nail file that is 80g on one side and about 150g on the other. I start course and then follow up with the smoother side. This will often still leave a rough finish, so a little lighter fluid on a paper towel with a firm finger will smooth them out. It will also take the small sanding lines out of the tire, yielding a faster tire right off of the truer.

A small dab of CA glue on the shaft will allow you to true plastic wheels, the slot.it ones are the easiest as they go all the way through.

Lastly. some of the wheels (even aluminum ones) are not that true. I mount up the wheel first and use a small square file on the wheel to make sure that the mounting surfaces are parallel etc. This also roughs up the wheel a little for gluing!

Zack

17 (edited by Wanabgts October 24, 2019 7:31 am)

I finished up Chris's 908/3 last night. Blistering quick little car now! A little regret is slowly seeping in as I was doing laps last night....hahaha

All three of these cars are running within 1 tenth of a second on my track. The Carrera 6 is extremely quick, but being narrower and having a relatively heavy body make it pretty tippy on limit even with a lot of lead....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48952481793_f5dc80cee2_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48953223087_eef85f5203_b.jpg

Zack

More great stuff Zack, thanks!

next la mans race is going to be silly fast. i can see total laps mark get smashed again....

The secondnidator

Man does that white and red car look good!  I knew it could go as fast as it looked good, just don't have the time anymore to mess with them.  THANKS!!

ckouba wrote:

Man does that white and red car look good!  I knew it could go as fast as it looked good, just don't have the time anymore to mess with them.  THANKS!!

Chris, you just need to get some inserts or mill down these old wheels and you will be all good to go dude! It may also benefit from a different guide, but the stem diameter in this chassis wasn't the same as my other cars for some reason.

Either way, she jams pretty good!

Zack