Topic: The new "Classic Sportscar 2"

Hey guys, I just thought I would share this information with you as the rules for this class have changed this year. While it isn't a points class this season, I have been slowly trying to get my car working better with the 8mm wheel and tire rule.

I first tried the NSR Supergrip 18x8 tire on a CB design 15x8 wheel. These tires once trued ended up being too short, I had to sand my spur just to be able to get some laps on the car! They also, even though advertised as 8mm ended up being something more like 8.2 unless you sanded them some.

I then found most of the proxy racers are using the NSR Classic 20x8.5 for all classes that require a 8mm spec tire. So I picked up some. Funnily enough these measure only 7.5-7.6 mm once trued up, and right at 8 even at the sidewalls when mounted on a 8mm wheel. The best part is they are 19.7 tall after I trued them, so they look more scale and have plenty of spur gear clearance.

I have not ran the car yet, but I feel this is going to be a very good option for those of us who would like to use a rubber tire for Thursday night racing.

They can be purchased at professor motor, and likely every other place on the internet.

https://www.professormotor.com/product-p/nsr5234evo.htm

Zack

Re: The new "Classic Sportscar 2"

Zack,
I'm not sure which spur you're using but if it's a 19mm you can switch to an 18mm and use a larger pinion.

Mitch, Yeah i am using the standard 18mm slot.it pinion. Unless you switch to a NSR 17.5 there isn't much shorter than that. The 18x8 is just too short, it must have been meant for use with a angle or inline car.

Zack

was surfing the 3d chassis and was would these be legal in classic spotcar1 its is a one piece chassis.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/GF4CT … d=66996814

The secondnidator

As the rule is, I think leaving the screws loose on the back of that chassis would be a real grey area. It says "separate articulating" in the first part. But I think the last sentence would exclude being able to use this chassis with the rear screws loose, because it specifically says: No movement or dampening is allowed between the main chassis piece and the motor pod.

That said, It seems the 3d chassis are softer than the normal plastic ones so there may be some more flex in there just because of that. On top of a possibly lower ride height.

Rule:
Chassis construction must be rigid with no separate articulating pieces such as hinged side pans, motor pods, or suspension type front axle mounts. Podded chassis will be allowed in Division I provided the chassis motor pod mounting screws are tightened AND the pod is permanently glued making the chassis compliant with the solid chassis rule. Chassis construction must be rigid with no separate articulating pieces such as hinged side pans, motor pods, or suspension type front axle mounts. Podded chassis will be allowed in Division I provided the chassis motor pod mounting screws are tightened AND the pod is permanently glued making the chassis compliant with the solid chassis rule. No movement or dampening is allowed between the main chassis piece and the motor pod.

Zack

Maybe Bill hasn't updated the rules in the website. Everything I see above is in regards to classic one.

in Classic two I think functioning pods were still allowed but they were going to move the year cut off up to exclude the GT40 and add a max track width.

now I have missed several races, perhaps I've also missed more discussion.

Doc,

That should be legal for classic two

I built one like that with a Shapeways universal chassis a couple of years ago. The car was a rocket and drove like a slot it. Goose hated it because it would lap him about every fifth lap, but it also had a black stripe motor that was turning at over 21K.

Legal? Yes, but I took it apart because it wasn't really fair. Also one of the reasons we switched to the H&R motor for that class.

Mitch58 wrote:

Maybe Bill hasn't updated the rules in the website. Everything I see above is in regards to classic one.

in Classic two I think functioning pods were still allowed but they were going to move the year cut off up to exclude the GT40 and add a max track width.

now I have missed several races, perhaps I've also missed more discussion.

No gt40 still legal for sportsman II. THE cut of date was moved for sportsman I class only.

The secondnidator

That sounds about right
i'm still liking my XK120 for classic one
and I have a Mark lV for classic two.

I also have a Trams am car and a Lemans car to bring Thursday. They are mediocre cars but I'm bringing them anyway.

You guys are right.....i saw that jag and just totally started thinking classic 1.

See you guys tomorrow!

Zack

docdoom wrote:

was surfing the 3d chassis and was would these be legal in classic spotcar1 its is a one piece chassis.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/GF4CT … d=66996814

Not legal for Classic Sports Car.

But yes, legal for Classic Sports Car Division II.

This chassis allows for movement of the rear axle and motor independant of the chassis itself.

Looks like that Jag is shooting for FTOD at the drags.  Holy rear meats Batman!

13 (edited by docdoom October 4, 2019 4:56 am)

Robbin lad a egg

The secondnidator