Topic: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Classes - Updates & Revisions CLOSED 1/11/18

I apologize for my absence at the NASTE races but my current status post move and pre shop construction have my priorities located elsewhere.

With that said I have heard conversations and received emails regarding class revisions and or changes to class rules. It would appear that although there have been discussions there have been no decisions made as far as what changes should take place. I am in agreement that some changes are due in some of our current classes. Classes that I am aware of that have been involved in discussions are; GT Class, Trans Am Class, Can Am Class, Classic Sports Car Class, and F1 Class. With this post I would like to start dialog to get the class changes/revisions moving forward. Although I do not currently have an area available for "hobby work" in the way of car construction/work, I do have some time available to work on the rules when I am unable to be outside working on my shop project.

To get things rolling, please start your post with what particular class your comments and suggestions pertain to. This will help me keep everything organized (i.e. Classic Sports Car Class - ...comments/suggestions.......F1 Class - ....comments/suggestions....). Let's get this long needed work done!!!

========Bill

Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Classes - Updates & Revisions CLOSED 1/11/18

Well all well this could get messy Jim.

The secondnidator

3 (edited by Over 50 Al January 4, 2018 5:37 pm)

My two cents worth. Seems we need more classes. how many classes are too many?

GT and Can Am

My first thoughts about Thunderslots and NSRs were these cars leave the cars we have been running not able to compete.That's not good I like the cars we've been running but then I drove Chris' Thunderslot and have bought one. These cars are not too expensive and are too fast  and too much fun to drive not to race them.

Tran Am

While Scalextrics are not the best, I've found mine to be durable and run fairly consistent. I like this class, as long as everyone is running the same cars they are fun to race while being inexpensive. I'm reluctant to put $100.00 plus into a $30.00 car. The podded Trans Am cars I've seen so far are not much better than the tuned up Scaleys in fact slower than some.

Classic Sports Cars Divisions 1 & 2

I like these classes the way they are

Al, I've never thought there could be too many classes. Just because we have a lot of classes designated and detailed out with specific rules, it doesn't mean we have to actively race them. If you look at the NASTE rules you can find classes we have not actively raced for years, such as the NASTE Modifieds and the early Flexi type classes. The nice thing is the rules are detailed for those classes so they could be raced whenever the desire is there.

So would it be a better option to just create new classes to cover the newer modifications and better cars presently being raced?

5 (edited by docdoom January 4, 2018 7:21 pm)

My two cents and change. the gt class is all over the place with cars sets. Its bring what you got class with all kinds of cars racing from lmp1 to 4door bmw's. the same thing with f/1.be nice if we could race same era cars with each other maybe 50 -70 era cars then 80 to current cars. on the Thunderslot and Nsr cars I think they should be in class of there own.like Al, said they are that much better than What we have been running
we could do the same with the gt class and break them down by the same era.
T/A is class is ok as it is. I put a podded car to gather just to see and I did find it was faster and smother than my stock chassis t/a car that has all slot running gear in it.  it did cost me around 100 to put it to gather but if Took what I have in the other car it not that much cheaper  so apples and oranges. maybe down the road when we get a few more built we could run a mod t/a class along side with the current class.

The secondnidator

UPDATE - with 4 cents in this is what I've got:

- Separate class for NSR & Thunderslot cars.

- In the GT & F1 classes the cars should be grouped and raced by body type/car configuration era. (I like this idea, but how do you address the differences in manufacturers chassis & motor performance?)

- Trans Am Class left as is.

- Classic Sports Car Division I & II left as is.

At this point in regards to the first two groups of car types, I would suggest new classes starting from a clean sheet.

IN the f1 class are you talking about the Policar  vs the scaleys and home built jobs Bill? 50-60 to mid 70 era cars?  I thought they ran some what close. only person that was running in that era with a scaly car was Chris and he help his own with it. every body else had a Policar. the modern era cars all have been scaley cars and had the stock motors in them from what I could see.

The secondnidator

some reading for the f1 history
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/retr … ra-873918/

The secondnidator

I have been away from the Odd Thursday racing for awhile so I am not up to speed as far as what's currently going on. The last I saw the Policar F1 cars seemed to be the cream of the class so I guess they are one example I thought was starting to dominate. Maybe that is no longer true. I am really looking to YOU guys to tell me what changes need to be made to car classes based on YOUR observations and feelings. I thought this might be a good time for me to get what you guys have been discussing for sometime now down on paper. As soon as the construction on my shop gets underway and the weather clears up I know I am going to be booked up!

Bill...

As I have seen the Policar F1 cars are running basically stock.  Anyone running a different brand that keeps up is not running stock.  They've either bumped up the motor, added weight or both and perhaps more.

I think the Policar F1, Thunderslot, and NSR all deserve their own class.  They are not to the point of overly expensive any longer and if we want to get to where we are running similar competitive cars unlike the wild west style GT and F1 classes then we need to probably look at classes by type AND manufacturer.

We've done this long enough that the best and LEAST EXPENSIVE racing really is similar class cars from the same manufacturer.

This doesn't mean we couldn't have our other classes as well but it wouldn't be unreasonable to have a few stock classes and run one of them each time.  It would certainly be easier on the new folks we hope to attract.

To that end we should add a DTM class using the Carrera DTM's.  Here's my proposed rules:

Carrera DTM

Stock with the following allowances:

1.  Rear Tires - BOSA (!) - glued/trued ok
2.  Traction magnets removed
3.  Braid can be changed/restrung
4.  Digital models can remove the light boards and digital chip *
5.  Weight can be added but you may not need to

* You don't have to buy a digital version.  But, if you do, either save the parts or sell/trade them to me.

The cars retail for under $40 and there are significant liveries so that we all aren't racing the same car.

"Big Smooth"

Looks like we have one new class at this point! Thanks Monte! I will update the NASTE Class list with the Carrera DTM Class.

So we have another proposal to establish separate classes for the Policars, NSRs, and Thunderslots.

UPDATE - with 6 cents in this is what I've got:

- Separate class for NSR, Thunderslot cars, and Policar F1 cars.

- In the GT & F1 classes the cars should be grouped and raced by body type/car configuration era. (I like this idea, but how do you address the differences in manufacturers chassis & motor performance?)

- Trans Am Class left as is.

- Classic Sports Car Division I & II left as is.

- NEW Class: Carrera DTM

Stock with the following allowances:

2.  Traction magnets removed
3.  Braid can be changed/restrung
4.  Digital models can remove the light boards and digital chip *
5.  Weight can be added but you may not need to

Class Sponsor: Monte Saager

At this point in regards to the first two groups of car types, I would suggest new classes starting from a clean sheet.

The easy route is to go with Slot.It for the GT cars and probably Policar for the F1 class only because we can probably count on more cars going forward and parts availability for anything that breaks.

Not the only route, just the easiest.

We could also use a class more in line with the N-N-N-Ninco Classics.  Or inline as they are.

Here's the rules:

Ninco Classics

Stock Ninco Classic with the following allowances:

2.  No traction magnets
3.  Weight can be added inside the car
4.  Bushings can be glued
5.  NC-1 or similar motor

Sub-class allows for similar cars from other mfg/scratch-build with similar motor.

"Big Smooth"

Anyone want to suggest a rally class?

"Big Smooth"

In regards to the Slot.it GT and Policar F1 classes, do you or anyone have an idea for era or years raced?

What about a spec motor instead of the NC-1 or equivalent for the "classics"? I was thinking any brand name, plastic, one piece solid flat chassis (no articulating or floating components) would be similar in performance as long as the motor and rear tire width were spec'd out?

Even Thursday nights at Howie's????????????????

16 (edited by docdoom January 5, 2018 5:29 pm)

Sure, why not and maybe a neon sighn to show the correct driveway.
raise you 25 and call
In regards to the Slot.it GT and Policar F1 classes
1 GT class would be one we run already and that is group c with same rules we run at Mont's
2 GT would be any gt SEDAN style car that raced 1990 and up. 21k max motor no lmp sytle cars
3 gt would be lmp 21k max motor
Policar f1  is the class
Sure wish more peeps would ring in on these here discussion we be having.

The secondnidator

17 (edited by docdoom January 5, 2018 5:40 pm)

New CAN AM car
https://www.slotcarcorner.com/New-Arriv … p3129.html
https://www.facebook.com/CGSlotcars/

The secondnidator

18 (edited by Mitch58 January 5, 2018 8:11 pm)

Chime in Doc? Really?
First off this is great, I haven't seen a thread this active on this site since...forever.

As for Motors in any class  for the tracks we have we don't need anything more that 21.5K, $7.99 Piranha, keep it cheap, I mean affordable. 

Classic sports cars class 1&2, love them don't change a thing. Accept...

I wouldn't start a "Ninco" class I would take classic one and lower the motor RPM. I wouldn't set the NC1 or the BWA as spec as they are both out of production and basically a dead end. I would set a 14K limit which would include the H&R Jackrabbit motor which at $10.00 is the best bang for the buck in that area. There is a new company out there marketing a 16K motor but I don't have any idea how consistent they run or what RPM they actually turn. I've checked all of my H&R are motors with my tach and while slower than the Black stripe they all run very close to their rating.
By doing this it could include classic SCX cars some Fly Classics and some low budget scratch builds based on cheap, make that affordable PCS chassis.

GT class, there is nothing wrong here, If Rico wants to lap my souped up 962 with his soccer mom 4 door grocery getter BMW that's fine, it just gives me something to do till 1am when I get home from a good ass whoopin. Like working on my 4 door BMW grocery getter that is just slower than his.

Policar F1, they are fast and handle very well, but if the Polycar drivers are having a bad night I have a Scaley with a stock motor that can get around them, if that doesn't work I also have a Polycar of my own, so watch your mirrors.

Now we get to NSR and Thunderslot. My only experience with NSR is watching Rico take some very nice laps around Bills track with his.  After driving Chris's Thunderslot I bought one, well actually two.  These cars are something else. I do think that most of their magic lies in their rear wheels.  I bought some Slot It "air ride" wheels for my Slot It GT40 and while I haven't had it at Al's, it has run some very fast laps at my house.  I also have my Monogram bodied T70 on my Slot It chassis that is almost as fast as my Thunderslot.  I have extra Thunderslot wheels and tires I'm going to install which might put them on the same footing.  So whether or not these get a class of their own I'm more interested in building something to compete against them.

Carrera DTM? If we make a class, what am I going to enter in the next proxy? I'm not buying another one. Who am I kidding, sure I would. But if you want a DTM class let's not limit it to Carrera, let's open it up to any DTM cars.

That leaves us with Rally. I have an interior with two drivers already painted just waiting for somebody to spec out a car so I can give them a ride.

That's my 2 cents worth, well maybe 3 cents due to inflation or the Bourbon.

It got you to post. the more the better I say. anybody else like to add there money to the pot.

The secondnidator

I think it's the bourbon !!

I have some DTMs that I could race; think they're SCX. But I'm not sure. They ran pretty well in my last club. They should be competitive with the Carreras.

As far as NSR and Thunderslot being a separate class, I think that's probably wise. They just are too much for anything else. I'm still getting my head around all the other classes...we ran "box stock" everything in my old club, and that's pretty much what I have. So I need to see what works and what doesn't.

I'm with Al.  LOL

"Big Smooth"

The majority of the comments seem to be in regards to the Policar F1s, NSRs, and Thunderslots being superior cars. I think it is  great idea to have some basically "stock" lower performance classes to pick from in our list of classes. As is currently the practice the classes will probably be raced on a rotating schedule, so not all of the classes have to be raced. The less popular classes can be skipped but they will still be listed in case there is a resurgence in popularity. With that said I think the Scalextric GT3 Class and the Carrera DTM Class fill that niche pretty well. Both brands can be purchased at reasonable cost.

Other comments are in reference to the Classic Sports Car Class, both Divisions I & II. I've felt these classes needed some restructuring for quite sometime now. From input I've received I would propose these changes to redefine the two divisions; Division one - sports cars manufactured through 1963 with 14K limit which would include the H&R Jackrabbit motor. NC1 and the BWA motors would also fall into this category. Division II - sports cars manufactured from 1964 through 1975 with a motor limit of 18k. All other rules pertaining to each class would remain the same.

I propose an F1 class based on the years or era that the current Policar F1 cars are modelled after. I'm not familiar enough on the years those cars were raced, so some help is needed here. With the class spec'd for cars of that era the Policars would probably be the logical choice but, if another brand of car fit the era it could also be raced even though it might not be the best choice (driver's choice as well as builders and tuners challenge).

That brings us to Thunderslots and NSRs. I propose to exempt these brands from all the other classes and form either one or two new classes for them. I don't know how well they compete against each other but if divided maybe another era designation could be used to separate them? From my experience on my old track the NSRs would pretty well keep up or beat anything, even the scratchbuilt cars so maybe these two classes could be somewhat of an unlimited class with nothing more than a max motor spec?

The policar were 70 era

The secondnidator

I assume that we will be finishing out this years series with the rules that we started it with.