Re: NASTE Gravity Racer Program

Now that's not a GPS unit on the dash is it? If we need a GPS to get to the bottom of the hill we might not finish so good.

No need to worry, not a GPS!

That is the monitor for the rear facing camera. I think Dennis wants to see the look on their faces when he goes past them!!!!

SORRY FOLKS, THE TEST RUN ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED FOR JULY 31ST HAS BEEN POSTPONED!

A new date for the next test run will be posted soon. Please stand by!

The date for the Portland Adult Soap Box Derby is quickly approaching! Saturday August 20th is THE day! Mark your calendars!

We have the minimum two volunteers our team needs for track set up. What the team needs now is confirmation from those that wish to participate as the pit crew. We are going to need pit crew members to help load and unload the car, get it ready to participate, and man the pit area. We need some pit crew members that can show up as early as 7:00 am. This was a fun event to watch last year, and I am sure it will be even more fun this year as a participant! This is your chance to join in! It doesn't cost you a dime! So come out, watch and root for team NASTE, or participate if you can!

Please let Dennis or me know if you can commit to helping out in the pits. The NASTE Gravity Racer Team needs you!

==========Bill

This update from our Crew Chief/Driver Dennis Hart:

"Bill and Diane, Charlotte and I all attended the racers meeting yesterday at the track.  All of our questions were answered and we all walked the track noting important safety features and getting a real close look at its details.  All very positive and encouraging.  Also relieving some of my honest concerns regarding design choices that we made during construction.  I am convinced that we will have some strong competition, but a GOOD chance of winning this major event.  Not a "walk in the park", but real contenders !

Also, the "Flyer" is now complete ( other than livery ) and ready for final road testing.  The batteries on my camera krapped out, but pictures will be soon forthcoming.

I must brag a little here.  She is beautiful and fast thanks to Al, Mitch, Jimmy, Charlotte and especially Bill who has been my strong right arm through this long and challenging process.  Without any of them the "Hawksbill Flyer" would have remained a pile of assorted materials.  Please do plan on attending and (or) assisting at our pit. This should be a GREAT event !

Lastly, road trials will take place soon.  Keep tuned for the place, time and secret location.  It will be in the Scappoose area and followed by a no host post trial bash and rally at the "Varsity Bar and Grill" in preparation of the big event Saturday, August 20th at Mt. Tabor in Portland.  EVERYONE IS WELCOME !

- Dennis

'She flies like a hawk, the wind her lover."

Sign me up. I could be there early,I'll be the gas man !!!

Just got this update from our Team Engineer Evil Jimmy Jones.

Our Crew Chief/Builder/Driver has finsihed up the Hawksbill Flyer and she is ready for competition! I must say Dennis did an AWESOME job on this project and the car is beautiful! I know you will all agree! This is something we can all be proud to be part of!

Thank you Dennis for letting us be part of this fantastic project and adventure!

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/finishedgravityracer.jpg

Don't forget to come out to Mt. Tabor on August 20th for the race and to support our team!

Thanks Al, we can definitely use you! Dennis will be there at 7:00am to unload the racer and set up the pit area. I think his son Troy and Jimmy are going to be with him but could definitely use extra hands. Rico and I will be at the track at 5:00am as set up volunteers until 9:00am. So we need all the help we can get in the pit area before 9:00am!

SUNDAY, August 14th - 9 AM to Noon

Road Testing of the completed, but untried "Hawksbill Flyer"

• Meet at 9 AM at the Hart's place in Warren

• We will proceed to Scappoose/Vernonia Hwy just North of Scappoose 4.5 miles toward Vernonia

• Following about an hour or so of road tests we will retire to the Varsity Grill in Scappoose for a no-host lunch and celebration. All are invited to witness and cheer us on

August 20th is bearing down on us !!

A special " Thank Yous !" to Bill and NASTE ! - DH

Is this a test ON the highway or a sideroad?

"Big Smooth"

YES!

Secret HIGHWAY location!

IT'S GRAVITY RACER TEST RUN DAY!

On my way to Warren to put the Hawksbill Flyer through its paces!

Meeting the kids for lunch. Keep the shiny side up.

Today was the day for a full test of the Flyer's capabilities. I am happy to say the test runs were a huge success!

This is a video of the first test run. This first test was on a mild incline so we could test the steering and overall handling at a slightly lower speed. I had the oportunity to drive the Flyer in one test run. I found the car to be very stable and smooth. The steering was smooth without being too twitchy. It was a fantastic oportunity! Thanks Dennis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IddGksn … e=youtu.be

After the first two test runs we changed locations to a steeper and longer hill. We started this run with very little push, which with a good hard push I'm sure Dennis would have reached higher speeds! The car ran smooth and predictably as I followed in the chase van. Dennis reported that the cars streering was excellent and the car handled quite well even at higher speeds! 99% of the construction of this gravity car was completed by Dennis himself. He did an awesome job on this racer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iBr4KS … e=youtu.be

Looked impressive

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

We had three really good test runs! We were very pleased with the cars performance!

I watched the video.  Very cool.

Was it slowing down via friction or was Dennis using the brake?  There is a brake?

"Big Smooth"

There is a brake, but it kind of reminds me of how Fred Flintstone stopped his car. It does seem to work though.

Yes there is a brake, but it was not used in any of today's test runs. The roughness and resulting friction of the road surface seemed to be the biggest cause for the losses in speed/momentum. We are also thinking the car maybe a little on the light side. Dennis is going to weigh the car this week and add extra ballast if we're under weight.

So you mean he'll eat more to bulk up?

"Big Smooth"

Oh hell NO!!! We'll never be able to cram him into that car!!!! He's going to add bags of gravel in the nose for added weight.

Kind of like putting a little lead just behind the guide?

Zactly!...........

Is that anything like getting the lead out of your butt?

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Zactly!!!