Re: Potential Classes for NASTE Racing

The next car (performance-wise) was the Pro-Trac car. This car combines Cheetah motor power, a lightweight chassis, and Pro-Trac grippy 1" tall tires, with model car body. Probably not the ideal combination.

Pro-Trac:

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/TEST1d.jpg

This car was fast, but very hard to run at it's limit. Even after the tires got a little dirty and started sliding around a bit, it was still way too tight. For the motors power and the lightness of the chassis, this car has too much tire. I've seen and run these cars with weight added in the form of thicker brass side pans. This modification makes a big improvement in their handling. But my feeling is if you're going to go to all that work, you might as well just step up to an Econo car chassis. I am going to try experimenting with this chassis as an open wheel type car. We'll see...... Best lap = 4.956

Down to the last two in the testing session. This one I threw into the mix at the last minute, and it surprised me! This is a box stock Carrera 1/24 Corvette.

Carrera:

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/TEST1b.jpg

The chassis on this car uses a sidewinder mounted motor. The motor does not have a lot of power or speed, but when combined with the stock skinny rear tires it makes for a lot of fun! The car is very forgiving, with controllable power slides signaling the over-use of it's available power. Try pushing harder in the middle of the power slide and it flips. I believe tires with more grip would probably bring the "flip" around earlier. This car requires some finesse to turn fast lap times. You must be smooth when applying the power. The major drawback with this car is the guide flag. It does not sit low enough in the slot on a recessed braid type of 1/24 routed track. I temporarily cured that problem by removing the front tires. A simple permanent fix would be to use smaller diameter front tires (or turn the stock ones down). This is a car I would enjoy racing "box stock" (with the exception of the front tire modification). It's an easy car to be consistent with, and it really is a lot of fun! Best lap = 6.802

The bottom of the heap. This one was a disappointment, as I had high hopes for the Cheetah.

EJ's:

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/TEST1g.jpg

Again the problem seems to be with a lot of power and a light chassis. What adds to the poor handling characteristics of this car is the short wheelbase. As it is, assembled right out of the box it is a major handful! The rear tires had no grip. The car was unpredictable and extremely loose. A switch to Jel Claws on the rear took the car to the other extreme, way too tight and just as unpredictable. The lap times were better than the Carrera car, but only because the Cheetah was so much faster on the straights. I could not put together a string of more than 3 or 4 consistent laps. I plan to try some gearing changes to see if that helps, but my real feeling is this car needs less motor. This car definitely needs some work! Best lap = 6.116

So there you have it. 6 potential cars for NASTE racing, and 600 laps of testing. I will make some adjustments to the cars and bring them to the next race at Hemi Heights. We'll test them there, and give everyone interested an opportunity to try them out.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/TEST1a.jpg

--------------------------Bill

30 (edited by flyinbryan January 18, 2009 10:42 pm)

Bill, great job testing all the cars!! I cant wait to try them this weekend to see how they handle..

Looks like the econo car and the parma FCR chassis are in the lead.........atleast the parma would be cheap to get....at $32...ready to run...all you need is a body.....as for the econo cars.....if that is the way we are going....I would be willing to set up some sort of assembly line to put a bunch of them together....

If we went with a ready to run chassis like the parma ,pro-trac or ej's....atleast everyone would be all in the same boat running the same cars...

The econo cars are pretty bullet proof.

"Due to economic cutbacks,the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"

I agree with Bryan, fantastic job.  Bill, one question:  In your opinion which one did you prefer?

"Big Smooth"

32 (edited by reek455 January 19, 2009 9:02 am)

Ditto on the testing.  Ditto on Monte's question.  Is that a 4.0 or 4.5 inch wheelbase on the Parma?  What type of body, hardbody or lexan?

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Thanks guys, it was fun. As far as which car I preferred, that's a hard question. For a faster action type of class (something based on the Econo, FCR, or Pro-Trac), I like the idea of racing the Parma FCR cars. Like Bryan said the price is right, and I think with a little bit of tuning they would work well. The FCR chassis are 4.5" wheelbase cars, and model car bodies can be mounted with clear packing tape. The chassis appear bullet proof!

I really like the Classic vintage car. I would enjoy a vintage type class using lexan bodies. Actually the Classic car can be put into the same category as the Econo, FCR, and Pro-Tracs when it comes to overall speed (depending on motors). I ran my car with the brass pan modification Larry made, and without. The car is faster and better handling with the pan, but it works well without it also (just more challenging). These cars with Jel Claw rear tires are great fun to drive! The issue again with these is parts availability.

That brings us to the EJ's and Carrera cars. The 1/24 Carrera car worked surprisingly well right out of the box! It's slow and slides but it is predictable and a lot of fun! The only modification this car would require is shorter front tires to get the guide flag to sit deeper in the slot. Then there's the EJ's car, which to start with was my favorite. But right out of the box this thing does not handle. On my track the tires did not hook up at all, and when I switched to Jel Claws they hooked up too well, and then the motor overpowered the chassis. I'm going to give this one a little more work (not giving up on it yet).

So at this point here are my favorites (not necessarily the best cars) in order; 1- Classic,  2- Carrera,  3- FCR.
These ratings may change!   ------------------Bill

34 (edited by reek455 January 19, 2009 3:16 pm)

I did some research on the Carrera 1/24 cars.  Availability seems somewhat limited as do the types of cars.  The prices are all over the place, as some of them appear to be quite collectable.  I found two vendors and neither one had the vintage Corvette like the one in the test, only newer ones (C5,6), various Ferraris,  an assortment of hot rods and a few LMP's.  Food for thought.  Several of the other chassis could be raced in different classes with just a body swap, that appeals to me.

Rico

Hey Larry,I think we are thinking of a class where you can get something that is ready to run or very,very close to that...like the parma chassis are cheap......ready to go and you can get parts very easy for them.....I dont think alot of guys out there are into building chassis or working on cars.....I am finding that out as I have talked with a few new racers that want to run 1/24 scale cars....

They can go get a   1/32 car and be ready to go...we offer nothing around here like that for 1/24.....as for me I dont mind building and like to do things like that....but there are alot of guys that dont so I think they turn away from racing...................or go get a home 1/32 set

"Due to economic cutbacks,the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"

So that's the real challenge, finding a class of car that EVERYONE is interested in racing. That has always been one of the challenges, but something NASTE has always been good at finding solutions to. Since NASTE started we have always promoted racing with the emphasis on new racers. We have always tried to make it easy for new people to get up to speed and feel comfortable. I feel that is a goal worth keeping. My feeling is a new class such as the vintage chassis or whatever, would stimulate the racers in our group who are ready for more of a challenge.

I would say the majority of the racers that race with NASTE right now are primarily 1/32 scale enthusiasts. My tentative plan is to come up with a 1/32 car class that can be raced non-magnetic on 1/24 scale tracks as well as 1/32. In additon to that class I would like to have an HO class (probably Aurora T-Jet style cars) to compete on our circuit of HO tracks. Lastly a class of 1/24 scale cars that would be raced on the 1/24 tracks (of course). I would propose the races on the 1/24 tracks would be one round with the 1/32 cars, and the second round with the 1/24 cars. With this format racers would need only 2 cars to participate in ALL the NASTE races, with the option of having a third 1/24 car if they desire. I would also venture to guess there would be "loaner" cars available for new racers, which has always been part of the NASTE program.

So as far as a 1/24 class goes, we have plenty of time to do some testing and decide what we like, and what works best for the group as a whole. Everybody likes something different, everybody has their own ideas, coming to concensus is what NASTE is all about.

--------------------------------------Bill

If you want to race a light chassis with a lexan body then I would rather race a new parma flexi....cheap,easy to get parts...and i think more guys would race them....Dont get me wrong....I am all for building...I love to build new chassis and see what works and does not work....

I do really like the hard body cars....I am not much of a lexan fan.....

If we get rid of the iroc racing with naste next year....I hope we dont loose alot of people....with all the clubs now there is something for most everyone....fast scratch built 1/24 cars..........store bought 1/32 cars.....and naste.....where you can come and race and not need anything....

We need to put a vote on this site and at races and see what people would really like to race...and see how many would like to run a ready to race type of chassis....or build one from scratch....

Just from what I have heard and seen.....there are not alot of builders out there....and another thing to factor....if we go to store bought or scratch built........there is that cost...what ever it may be...then these people would also need to get controlelrs...there might be a loaner at some tracks...and they would have to buy extra parts,tools and other things that go with having nothing to begin with..
Lets put a vote out there and see in the next few months what everyone would like to do..
Thanks to bill for doing all the testing and people that come to the race this weekend will have a chance to test them out and see how these cars drive and handle...

I am the one that started the discussion on alternative classes to the NASTE IROC series for next year. Bryan, that's a good idea, lets start a poll to see where everyone's interests lie. Monte, can we set up a poll on this topic? Something along the lines of; What type of racing would you like to do as a NASTE racer next season? NASTE IROC as it has been? Racer owned cars for each scale HO, 1/32 & 1/24? Racer owned cars HO & 1/32 (1/32 cars on 1/24 tracks also)? None of the above?

One more issue I'd like to discuss. If we end up with another IROC series, I would propose that some of the regular NASTE racers donate one complete RTR car to be used for the IROC series. The cars would be used for the entire season, and be maintained by their owner. This would mean we would need a minimum of six complete HO cars, six 1/32 cars, and eight 1/24 cars. Those numbers would provide for spares/backup cars also. The NASTE treasury would be used as a source of funds for replacement and repair parts for the cars.

---------------------------Bill

Yes, I can.

"Big Smooth"

THANKS MONTE!!!!!

-----------------Bill

Bryan's point is well taken.  If we move to self-owned cars then those that don't have one may not be racing.  And that's not really a good thing.  I've got two separate tracks of cars to sponsor here at home so I'm not really interested in having a complete set of stuff for EVERY scale, it just doesn't make sense economically.  I prefer to specialize in the scale that works here at home.  However, I'm glad to race any scale I don't have when cars/controllers are supplied.  Since I do already have some 1/24 scale stuff so I would be interested in that too but only if the cost stays down, that's just too many scales for me and I am probably not alone here.  And that's the glory of NASTE IROC.

Perhaps build-your-own 1/24 scale cars would be a good idea for the NASTE Thursday night crowd.

"Big Smooth"

A lot of good points have been made here. Since NASTE was established we have always tried to have a slot car racing experience that is just a little different than the norm. We have accomplished that goal in the creative formats we have raced under, and with the cars we have raced. I feel NASTE has been very successful through the years, and one of the reasons is we have always put FUN ahead of competition. Since 1996 NASTE has had more than 100 participants. Many of those people had not raced before, and may never of had the experience had it not been for our group.

As much work as the IROC series is in regards to keeping cars up and running, it is a proven and successful formula. Take for example the last race at Hemi Heights. There were quite a few people in attendance who do not own 1/24 cars, and some people who do not even own ANY slot cars. But from my point of view it was a great race and a lot of fun! Getting people together and racing is what it's all about. With NASTE people get to try a little bit of everything.

So where do we go from here? I started this dialog because I was feeling like I would like to race my own cars, and I think there are others that would also like to race some of there own cars. One thing I'm hearing loud and clear is the IROC format is well liked. So what about this; NASTE maintains the IROC format for the first and primary race at each event. One round of racing just as it was at Hemi Heights on Saturday night. After the IROC race we could race one round of a particular class where interested racers race their own cars.

I already have a set of 1/24 scale flexi cars that could support races on six lane tracks with spares. Bryan and I together have 4 NASTE Radioshack cars for 1/24 four lane tracks. I have plenty of T-Jet based cars for HO. I will soon have 5 1/32 Carrera cars completed for the race coming up in Eugene. If we maintain an IROC series what I would ask is for a committee or team to be established to repair and maintain the stable of cars.

Food for thought?.................Comments????   -----------------------------Bill

Bill- I think that is an excellent compromise.  Basically the Naste group has had a little something for everyone, at least as long as I have been involved.  The experienced and the not so experienced, the builders and the nonbuilders are all welcomed.  All scales of racing are also experienced, so that people can decide on their own which scale they prefer (me, I like them all).  At that time, they can continue to race with us or find a group of like minded individuals to race with and the choices seem to be growing more and more.  There is so much going on and with the new true scale 1/24, Naste Thursdays, OSCAR, PASER, BSCC, Cape Horn and Naste one could never keep up with all the races.  Obviously the separate heats would not be available at all the races depending on the track being used.  The HO races and the race at BSCC come to mind. 
One question I have is would both heats count for Naste points or would there be a separate series since maybe not everyone would be racing the second heat? Anyway I think it's a great way of adding to a little something for everyone.

Rico

Rico - If we add the second class, such as the 1/24 vintage cars, why not add a class we could run on the 1/32 tracks also? We could pick a class of car that we all have already. For example a Slot.It class, or maybe just a 1/32 production chassis non-magnetic class? Something along the lines of what you, Monte, and I have been experimenting with. We could also run that class on 1/24 tracks for a change of pace.

As far as the point series, There are four choices. The NASTE Championship could be determined by; 1) points accumulated from the IROC races only, 2) points accumulated from the non-IROC races only, 3) the total points from both races, 4) Or the points from both races could be tallied and separate winners in both types of races could be named.

We have grouped racers together by experience or skill level before, and maybe that is something we should go back to. The ability to "throw out" a couple of bad races each season also helps with the "bad race" scenario.

------------------------Bill

To make something like this possible, I wonder if we should consider moving to shorter heats with a max off rule?  I think I'd opt for separate winners so that one doesn't appear to have more value than another.  IROC is a drivers series, the other I view as more of a builders series.

"Big Smooth"

I agree, the NASTE IROC is a driver's series! Being able to deal with a changing environment and equipment conditions is just as important as going really fast! Anytime you have races with the drivers building and racing their own cars, the equipment becomes a major factor.

I like the "max off" rule (assuming you mean maximum number of times you can de-slot?). My concern would be how hard that would be to enforce or keep track of (especially on my 6 lane track).

Personally, I would just as soon leave the IROC races as the points championship races and have the other races just for fun.

--------------------Bill

47 (edited by LARRYBOSS302 January 29, 2009 7:22 pm)

Hey guys I pulled my blog because I didn't feel that my nagative comments were good for the group. I'm sorry for anything I said that might have hurt anyone. This isn't the first time I have put my foot in my mouth... I'm Sorry guys.. I was wrong..

No problem Larry.  My size 11 mouth has swallowed both my feet more than once.

We're friends, always will be............................................But that doesn't mean I can't nerf you right????!!!!!!!

-----------------------------Bill

49 (edited by LARRYBOSS302 February 5, 2009 7:13 pm)

Anyone that is looking for a good running chassis or car for this class and just don't know If your buying a good one or not I'm willing to do the looking for you and send good deals that I see on e-bay.. All you need to do is e-mail me at   larry302@viclink.com  so I can get your e-mail address and when I see some smoking deals I can pass them on to you..
Rico asked me how do you know if your getting a good car or a complete running chassis so this should make it easy for everyone.. I have seen a lot of good cars go for around $30 or under that without much work would be great cars for this class.. Most will need new rear tires and Bill and I have tried the new Jel-Claws and they work great and fit almost all the rims that come on these cars. If I can help you please let me know.. Larry

At the PASER race on the BullRing Saturday, Bob Nakamura ran his Parma FCR car around. His FCR was stock other than being fitted with some lead weight up front and on the front sides. A NASCAR snap kit body was mounted on the chassis (the Revell snap kits came pre-painted as did the Revell Pro kits). Anyway his car ran GREAT! It was lapping only .2 to .4 seconds slower than the Econo cars! Something to consider............  -------------------Bill