Topic: Old Wheels & Tires

So I'm still pretty much still laid up and limited as to what activities I can participate in. I've been able to do some sorting through my large collection of slot car parts, which includes pairing up the old wheels I have. And I have a LOT of old wheels! Most of which have the old sponge rubber tires glued onto them.

Here at TooBad Motorplex we have found that urethane tires work very well, and specifically Paul Gage urethane tires. Well, Paul Gage now makes urethane tires for the old 60's wheels and other 1/24 cars. With the new Over 50 Class we have started racing on Odd Thursday Nights I figured I could use some of those old wheels and reshod them with Paul Gage tires.

First I cut and scraped the old sponge rubber off of a couple pairs of wheels. Of course the sponge rubber was old and hard and it half disintegrated in the process of trying to get it off the wheels. It was way too much work, and it left scratches on the wheels. I always have a covered plastic container filled with some sort of liquid cleaner that I use for stripping paint off of bodies close by. I have recently noticed with the newest cleaner I have been using the cleaner loosens up the glue on the car bodies where parts are glued on. It makes it easier to strip off those parts to restore the bodies. My idea was maybe this cleaner would loosen the glue bonding the old sponge rubber to the wheels?

For the first try I put two pair of wheels in the solution and left them in there for two days. When I removed the wheels from the solution I could easily cut the sponge rubber and then peel it off the wheels. Cool, I put another eight pair in the solution. These wheels I left in the solution for approximately one week. This time I was able to stretch and peel the sponge rubber right the wheels without even cutting them! In addition the solution seemed to bring the softness back to the old sponge rubber! Not only were the tires soft again, they were no longer brittle, and they came off undamaged! They did not tear or chunk apart. I am convinced once the tires dry out completely I could re-use them with just a little sanding to the running surface.

And here's another plus. In this most recent batch were some Mila Miglia wheels which are magnesium. You all know about the corrosion that takes place with those magnesium parts after a few years. I had heard sometime back that you could soak magnesium parts in citrus juice and it would remove the corrosion. This cleaner has citrus juice in it and it would appear citrus does remove corrosion on magnesium because the Mila Miglia wheels came out of the solution clean. The corrosion was gone!

So here's the part you've been waiting for. The most recent solution I have been using is called The Big Orange. It is listed as a cleaner and degreaser. I purchased it at Wallmart. It is great stuff! I strip painted plastic bodies and parts with it, sometimes leaving them in the solution for months with no damage to the parts. One disclaimed though, it will take the chrome plating off of parts!

==========Bill

Re: Old Wheels & Tires

Very good to know, thanks Bill.  I have a body that needs stripping.  Maybe I should clarify, a slot car body that needs stripping.  I just bought some stuff called Mean Green at the Dollar Tree for the rentals and they had some citrus degreasers as well.  Has anyone had any success with oven cleaner?

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Bill: Sorry to hear you are still not back to normal, hope that starts to change soon for you.  smile

Thanks for the "big Orange" info, i will definitely have to see if i can find it on my side of town. I have cox part that need to be cleaned. Be interesting to hear what you find after the soaked tires have dried out  to find out if they stay soft.

Chet'; i have tried/used oven cleaner to clean some model car styrene bodies, if i remember correctly it pretty much worked on paint jobs that were sprayed over primer, but the smell and caustic ingredients (use "good" gloves) were not pleasant to work with. I read (on line) that Simple green does work (very slowly) but that post 1962 model car styrene parts can be left in for extended (weeks) periods, i believe it will not attack clear parts. I would definitely constantly check in short time periods on any other "plastic you want to strip. I am used to using  brake fluid on my post 1962 model car stripping projects, do not put clear parts in brake fluid, it will fog it.

I've used brake fluid but I've had it soften some plastics and I really hate the feel of it

The first gentler cleaner degreaser I tried was Simple Green. It worked pretty well. Then I tried some Purple Stuff I got at an auto parts place. The Purple Stuff was stronger than Simple Green, but like Simple Green it did not damage the plastic even over long periods of soaking. I also used it in my ultrasonic cleaner with improved results.

I used oven cleaner for really tough jobs where the gentler cleaners did not have good results. I watched the parts carefully when using oven cleaner, constantly monitoring the progress. Oven cleaner did not take long, but like Goose said it's nasty stuff!

I'm really liking this orange stuff. It even smells good!!!

I tried to buy some at my local Walmart but couldn't find any product called Big Orange. sad

When I bought mine it was in with the household cleaning products.

Geeee Bill it's obvious Diane has you so well trained when you go to the store you automatically go the household cleaning products.  roll

I did some searching on the web and couldn't find the stuff. Went to the company's site that manufactures the stuff and they don't list it either.

I did find these that look like the same or similar stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/ZUCIT128-128-Ounc … 4D3XJ3SST9

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D8O … KM3RNXFPAE

Home Depot carries ZEP products.

Bill: is this what you are using?  http://www.midlabinc.com/big-orange-big … 00041.html

Or how about this one;   http://www.chemicalguys.com/Extreme_Ora … fgodGSQA4A

Neither of those is the exact same bottle, but it may be the same stuff?

Here is another one for train/plastic stripper   http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/640-10568