1 (edited by JMorse July 19, 2014 5:54 pm)

Topic: "getting up to speed...slowly

Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice, I am new or perhaps returning to this addiction, I actually had a big track in my basement as a kid but 45 years later things are a little different. ( I still have my old Gar-vic, Classic and Cox vintage junk)Thought you might enjoy hearing what I have learned or if someone else is getting into the hobby might learn form my experiences. First off I cant thank enough all the racers at Bills bad lands for help and advice and even loaning cars for different classes. No lack of generosity there! I am learning just as in full size racing it's all about the details, Thanks to Goose for sharing his wealth of knowledge on chassis tuning. The first thing I have learned is there is a huge difference in the hobbyist grade cars versus the more toy like cars- ya gotta have a good platform to start- Very pleased with the slot it Nissan I got for gt, in practice I actually felt like I had my new controller dialed in , was laying down fast laps and actually able to stay in the groove endlessly. Then...... Goose loaned me a mustang for the trans am class and I actually didn't embarrass myself too badly. Hey this is gonna be great right?... This of course raised my expectations for GT...well... disconnect the brain. I started poorly and my controller that was set for the mustang wasn't shall we say optimum for the Nissan anymore...can you say "looks like that idiot is driving with a toggle switch?"...aye carumba! at this point my concentration was gone and It was my worst performance since the first night Bill loaned me a car. I did however gain even more respect for all you guys that can drive and have amazing skill and mental focus. There was some truly great racing and I look forward to improving. Thanks again to all for all the help.

Re: "getting up to speed...slowly

John: Thank you for the note on helping you with car (chassis) suggestions. Please note that as you noted my "wealth of knowledge" came from the other club members helping me with my cars to able me to be somewhat competitive with them, and they are the one's that deserve the thanks you kindly directed to me. I am happy to equally share what they have shared with me.

Goose

John, It's great to have you out to the races at my place. We enjoy your company and racing with you! Looking forward to more good times and competition with you in our ranks!

==============Bill

So I have figured out this slot car racing is a lot like racing full scale...buying the car is just the first step. Now the process of getting all the things you need to actually run the car and be able to work on it and tune it and maintain it begins. OK so maybe building a box to carry my stuff in instead of a paper sack isn't quite the same as having to have a trailer and tow rig but a task none the less. Then there's the tools and again the same- better to buy quality once, and the lubricants, oh and spare parts, tiny set screws, braids, guide flags, good controller,...and of course tires! thankfully these little guys aren't  $650.00 a set and they don't go away after 5 heat cycles but.....I need a database to keep track of the sizes ! Enough rambling .. to tell the truth I am having fun shopping all the sites for the cool stuff. When I was actively racing the U.P.S. guy was delivering tyres from Goodyear in Akron and parts from Carl Haas several times a month and always offered to put them in the garage for my wife just so he could look at the car....maybe he wanted to look at my wife...anyways we got to be on a first name basis.. now I am getting packages from professor motor and ebay just about every week! as to getting up to speed I had some fast laps last thurs. so now I just have to keep working on consistency and mental focus, Thanks again to everyone for their help- can't wait till next Thurs!.

John, It's really interesting for me to hear your perspective on slot car racing, especially with your recent experience and involvement in motor sports of the FULL scale! I have never committed to racing anything in 1:1 scale mostly because of the cost and commitment. The other limiting factor in my case was always skill and ability when it came to building equipment. I have seen your racing equipment, and I will say you are an excellent builder and fabricator. The cars, and the motorcycle that I have seen in your garage were beautifully constructed, and I know you did all the work from metal fab, to mechanics, to paint. Those are skills I just do not possess. I fully expect you to rise to the top in our slot racing circles, and I feel our group benefits from your participation!..............and oh by the way.............1/24 races at Rapid Raceway are coming up soon. Another avenue for you to explore!!!!!

==============Bill

Another great night at the Too Bad motorplex, Really enjoy everyone's company, help and humor!. Well due to a little bit of success its time to remove the magnets....yup back to square one!. Actually the trans am scalex mustang was the only thing with Magnetic traction and its pretty limited on where you can stick it but I'm totally in the dark as to how much and am trying to minimize the adding or removing process as track time is so limited. So what I did to start is cut some stick on lead sheet in the same thickness as the bar magnet to the same size and snapped it into the recess where the magnet was...didn't seem like nearly enough and there are 2 other areas same size just in front of that one so I added 2 more. Less than half of the stick on lead that was in place on the ninco 56 vette I bought used that seems to work pretty well but the Mustangs got wider tyres so I,m thinkin maybe I can get by with less..any ideas ? . My second project was to add a little to the slot it Nissan gt..problem here is the anglewinder motor pod is set up to float in the chassis and the chassis is floating in the body..this car handles real well as is but just needs a little more bite. I'm thinking the weight should be attached to the motor pod only otherwise it kinda negates the floating ,damping, unsprung weight concept that seems to work well on these things. Problem is theres very little room on the anglewinder pod, again a couple of empty recesses for magnet bars but they are pretty small. Any ideas or stories of success would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, John.

7 (edited by reek455 October 12, 2014 6:34 pm)

John,

Glad to hear you are having fun and enjoying racing with us.  As far as help with angle winders, I'm not your guy as I have yet to figure them out myself.  Much of weight placement is common sense. The most important thing to get a figure out what is  causing the car to de-slot in the first place.  Is it tipping out of the slot, is the rear end sliding out or is the front washing out? Once you identify what the condition is and then you can figure out where to place the ballast.  Here is a chart that should be of some help:

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/chassisbalancingpoints_zpsec0d9769.jpg

I hope you find this helpful, I know I did.  Monte or Bill is there place we can post this to make it easy to find?

Regards
Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Fantastic info Rico ! I especially like the idea of hanging from the guide post to determine bias side to side -Kinda like a plumb bob!. I think I'll have to make some measurements, start a log book and then make incremental changes and record results. Has anyone ever tried setting the car on four identical scales on a surface plate to determine corner weights? I have a small digital scale that seems pretty accurate and repeatable that wasn't very expensive and I've been thinking of setting some up like the race scales we use for the Reynard, with a little math you could determine balance, bias and perhaps most importantly it would show a "tweaked" chassis...my driving isn't good enough to determine by observation--I don't think I drive the same corner the same way twice! anyways if I try I'll keep you posted- thanks again for the help!

Here it is:

http://www.naste.org/members/monte/chas … points.jpg

Been posted for some time.

"Big Smooth"

Hey John, You need to be there at the next Odd Thursday. We will be racing the Proxy cars and it will give you an opportunity to see what other racers from all over the world are doing to their cars, plus be able to run them and see how they perform!!!

kidvolt wrote:

Here it is:

http://www.naste.org/members/monte/chas … points.jpg

Been posted for some time.

I knew it was posted before but I could not find it with a search.  It should be somewhere where it is easily found.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Look on the links page.

Chassis Weight Placement Guide

"Big Smooth"

13 (edited by JMorse October 15, 2014 12:34 pm)

Can't wait till nxt thurs. Just fyi there are new brm porsches on ebay at 75.00 or best offer..i offered 60.00 and they immediately accepted so i got one on the way yup the addiction continues...

Looks like there is only one left at 4:45pm Wednesday the 15th..............

Nice score John!!!!

With shipping it was around 70 bucks so I figure if nothing else it would give me spare parts...the one I got isn't my first choice on livery/color and I don't think it has the latest "o ring" chassis style but hey it gives me a weapon for the "BRM WARS"  I really appreciate everyone loaning me theirs to race but honestly some of the hits they take just sound downright brutal, they are amazingly tough but I've been nervous that when one does decide to shatter it would be on my drive!  Now I gotta order some tires and a couple gears and I'm thinkin some spare guides and brushes... cant wait!

Welcome to the BRM Madness!!!

Excellent John!  Welcome to the circus...

JMorse wrote:

I really appreciate everyone loaning me theirs to race but honestly some of the hits they take just sound downright brutal, they are amazingly tough but I've been nervous that when one does decide to shatter it would be on my drive!

They are a tight squeeze at Bill's but as you've seen, the racing is close and superb!  They may sound bad, but once you've knocked off the mirrors, wiper and canards (dive planes), they are quite robust- especially at our modest voltage.  Don't be afraid to get it out there and run it.

JMorse wrote:

Now I gotta order some tires and a couple gears and I'm thinkin some spare guides and brushes... cant wait!

The good thing about the way we have the class set up is that you don't currently need to buy anything.  Just put it together and run it.  Tires included.

The only thing you NEED to do is set the gear mesh appropriately and true the tires (using a single cut bastard file; see the rules, I think there's a post which explains it or just bring it on a Thurs night and we'll set you up), but that's about all you need to do.

You will most likely want to change the gear to a Parma.  The BRM gears work but will chip if the rear steps out under power and then regains traction.  They are for 1/8" axles so there is a negligible amount of slop on the axle and any ratio is currently legal.  I think I have a 32 tooth gear on my inline car.

I have a number of spare, unused gears if you don't have any to try.

That's about all that we do with the BRM's, by design.  It's intended to be a build it and run in type of class.

Chris