Topic: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing

Races will be held on Thursday nights with odd calendar numbered days.

Official Rules Listed Here:
http://www.naste.org/racerules.cfm

Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing

Class 5 - Vintage F1 Rules have been updated as of Jan.20, 2015.

3 (edited by reek455 April 23, 2015 7:35 am)

Question: Are we going to limit the Vintage F1 to Scalextric only?  This car is just now becoming available and would fit very nicely with the Scalextric Modern class

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/gallery_23154_1510_37677_zpsr6ps4hmp.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/gallery_23154_1510_33543_zps4nwlawth.jpg

You can read more about it here: http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.p … ntry966321

I'm not sure how well the performances will match but the chassis is basically the same as the previous Fly March 761 which were supposed to be quite quick.  In fact the March's would fit the class quite nicely as well.

Thoughts?

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Currently we are racing pretty much ANY vintage F1 type of car. Although the rules as written for the NASTEburgring detail Cartrix and Scalextric cars, we have added scratchbuilt, other manufacturers, and newer versions of F1 cars to the racing at TooBad Motorplex on Odd Thursdays. I am fine with running any type of F1 cars participants are interested in racing. My question would be; as we expand the list of elligible cars do we want to better group them in separate heats by year raced or style of car? Another option might be to have an F1 race night where we run different classes of F1 cars instead of the current classes? Or do we just keep racing all the different types of F1 cars together and I group them in finish order overall and by class? Whatever we do i will need to update the rules for the Vintage F1 class or classes.  =========Bill

wb0s wrote:

Or do we just keep racing all the different types of F1 cars together and I group them in finish order overall and by class? blah, blah, blah...  =========Bill

That option gets my vote.  I like the variety of classes we run, no need to OD on F1.  Run'em all.

Chris

6 (edited by reek455 April 23, 2015 7:32 am)

I wasn't trying to change how we race the cars, I was just wondering if cars other than Cartrix or Scalextric were allowed to run.  If a class is called Scalextric Modern or Cartrix Classic that leads me to believe that those brands are the only ones allowed but if other brands compatible cars are allowed then so be it.

I agree with your interpretation Rico. That's another reason I need to amend the rules for our Odd Thursday racing. But for a simple answer I will say YES, you can race them. Originally I just wanted a class where racers could race the cars they had acquired for the NASTEburgring races. The types of F1 cars we race have grown from there.

Class 5 - Vintage F1 Rules have been updated as of May 13, 2015.

Rules edited and updated - no rule changes 7/2/2015

Rules? Are there really rules, or just guidelines? Actually I have been running my Lotus at home. I think it fits all of the rules and guidelines.

That's part of the beauty of our Odd Thursday Night races. Yes there are some rules, but they are very basic. You can pretty much run most anything in a couple of the classes. If you've never won a race at an Odd Thursday race you can run a traction magnet in a magnet free class, or even a hotter motor. But once you've on a race, in order to be credited with a win your car must fully comply with the rules for the class it falls into. It's as close to run-what-you-brung racing as I've ever experienced in the slot car world!

Unless we start a tech inspection the rules are pretty much a guideline and governed by one's own conscience as to how far a racer may or may not want to exceed them. Now back to our regularly scheduled fun.

You are indeed correct Rico. So far everyone seems to be having a good time, and the last thing I want to start doing is tech inspections! The obvious deviations seem to be curtailed by relentless ridicule and public embarrassment!

14 (edited by Goose July 3, 2015 12:52 pm)

OH!!  neutral I did not know i was supposed to be embarrassed to be cheating.

Thanks for letting me know. I am just trying to keep up with Mitch!

Goose wrote:

I am just trying to keep up with Mitch!

And we all are all trying to keep up with you!

Rules updated July 9, 2015. Additions/changes to rules in Class 5 F1 Cartrix Division, + redesignation for other divisions.

Rules updated August 17, 2015. Addition to General Rules, numbers 5,6, and 7.

Rules updated to allow for better record keeping of class statistics and records. Many of the current recorded class record statistics have become scewed due to non-spec cars, or racers using multiple cars in one race. Racers can still use multiple cars in a race if they choose to however, they are not elligible for an official win.

I have added Class Sponsors to each of the car classes listed for competition in Odd Thursday Night races. Questions regarding the rules for a particular class should be directed to the class sponsor(s) of that class. Rules interpretations will also be directed to class sponsors.

I have entered a revision to the rules for Class 1 - Classic Sports Cars to exclude Slot.it RTR cars which includes the Ford GT40.

The rule revision reads as follows: "Slot.it RTR cars will not be allowed to compete in this class. However, Slot.it chassis motor pods made be used in the construction of scratchbuilt chassis."

A new class has been added to the cars we race at the Odd Thursday Night races. Class 7 - USRRC /Can Am Class has been added as one of the rotating classes along with Classic Sports Car, GT, Trans Am, and F1. Please check out the rules, any questions should be directed to the class sponsors Gary Goose Gossett and Greg Greenman Petrolati. Time will be allowed for racers to get cars together, so watch the schedule for the date of the first USRRC / Can Am race!

===========Bill

21 (edited by Mitch58 August 31, 2015 3:26 pm)

I have a couple of questions regarding the new rules in classic sports car. I'm really liking my Ninco XK120s right now, but Ninco doesn't make any 18K long can motors so it appears on the chart that the only legal long can Ninco motor is the NC5 and the NC2. The next one NC12 comes in at 19K. I know that a lot of our Vettes came from the factory with motors faster than that, at least the newer ones seem to. Even my 356 came new with a 25K motor making it almost undrivable without a magnet. I've already turned my GT40 back into a GT car as a back up for my Porsche. It seems that without a back up car I can become a spectator in a hurry. Any way Slot it Kits cars were not mentioned, I was wondering about those. The same question also applies to Racer  RTR and kit cars. They are built with Slot it parts, but with the heavier bodies are not as fast. We have at least 4 members that have been running some of these so I know these questions will come up eventually. I'm thinking if we discuss it here we can figure it out before we spend too much time and $$ on the wrong car. BTW by 1:00am Friday morning my GT40 was a very fast Sports Car. By dinner time it was a GT car and my XK120 was scattered across the work bench. See Ya Thursday.

Got it back together, it has parts from three different cars, but it sure runs nice.

Post's attachments

11954623_10206799256594574_5874196784477680064_n.jpg 56.92 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Good observations and questions Mitch. Here's my take on the Slot.it issue in the Classic Sports Car Class. When I started the class my intention was to race the 50s and early 60s sports cars, which in my mind were the cars raced with the old narrow type wheels and tires. The list of car examples in the rules speaks to those types of cars for the most part. During one of the races about a year ago the question of elligibility for the Slot.it Ford GT40 came up. The arguement in its favor was that "street" versions were built, and it does loosely meet the definition of the classic sports car. So I decided the Slot.it Ford GT40s would be legal if the stock wheels and tires were replaced with the proper narrow rear wheels and tires. The big mistake I made was in not addressing the required motor change to an 18K motor to make them compliant with the motor rule. From there it became obvious that the Slot.it Ford GT40s could dominate the class. Rather than continue down that path I feel it is better to remove them from the class. racers who own them can still race them in the GT Class, and they are very competitive there also.

As far as the Racer Cars go, I have not addressed anything there. At least not yet. To date we have not seen very many of those brand of cars entered in races. In the GT Class we excluded both NSRs and Racers in an effort to keep costs down. NSR parts are allowed for scratchbuilt cars, so Racer parts being the same as Slot.it parts would also be allowed on scratchbuilt cars. Where that leaves us in the Classic Sports Car Class I'm not sure. One difference is Racer does make some older classic sports cars which are in line with my original vision for this class. I think the Racer issue will need more discussion.

============Bill

Clarification was added to the Class 5 - F1 Rules and reads as follows:

"**This class will be raced with cars compliant to the NASTE Formula 1 Challenge Rules where applicable. For class divisions not listed in and covered by the NASTE Formula 1 Rules, cars must comply to the rules as outlined in those separate divisions. "

========Bill

Rules revisions as of Oct. 21, 2015:

Classic Sports Car Class - Class separated into two Divisions to allow for readily available new chassis technology such as 3d chassis with motor pods. Division I cars identified by solid chassis construction and 7mm max. width rear tires. Division II identified by chassis utilizing any type of articulation, such as motor pods, hinged side pans, or front axle mounts with suspension or movement. Division II cars can use rear tire contact patch width up to 8mm.

Trans Am - All cars must use the Scalextric Standard "Black Stripe" 18 motor.

I like to make a change to the gt3 rules. this change is not a performance up grade. more in the line of a fix.there have been a number of guys that have had a problem with spur gear  spinning on the axle. Rico on his 3rd and I think Greg has had one or two.  I just had my 2nd one let loose  this last race. I have found if you can get one of the rims off you can slide the axles bushings off the axle. you then can slide a slot it spur gear onto the axle with a little force. re assy the bushings and glue the rim back on and no more loose spur gears.
I have not run it on a track yet but it runs smooth on my test bench. its cheaper than a new axle. only place I have been able to buy them from is electric slots and shipping is more than the axle was. I will have it at Monties if anybody want to see what I did. only thing is we need to keep the same gear ratio. for this to be fair.

The secondnidator