Topic: What do you have?

We've got an SCX digital system here at the house of about 60 ft.  It will soon be moving to the garage for a more permanent setup, thanks to Jack Attack.  He spent an entire day here putting a table together and with a few more hours we'll have it completed.  It will be capable of running up to 6 cars simultaneously or 5 cars and the safety car.

One nice thing about digital is that you don't have to worry about lane colors since any lane will do.

If you've got a digital track at home, tell us what you have and let's get this digital revolution going.

"Big Smooth"

Re: What do you have?

I have Scalextric Digital at home. A lot of it hasn't even left the packaging but I have designed a 12x6 layout with varying lane width section (no pit) that can run up to four cars. Currently I have four A1GP digital cars, but in the near future may upgrade four JGTC cars to digital. I will have to build a modular table (three 4x6 section) for easy storage as I cannot leave it up all the time.

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

The new table has been completed and the digital track has been moved to the garage.  A big thanks to Jack for all his support in the table process.  So...  let's race!

"Big Smooth"

Monte- Is the SCX system similiar to the Scalextric system?  I tried the Scalextric Digital out once and you had a button on the controller that you pressed to change lanes. I was running by myself so I didn't get to experience two cars on the same lane. 
Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Yes, very similar in that regard.  There's a trigger for speed and a button on the top of the controller for lane changing.  It's pretty easy to get the hang of actually.  There's also a slow-moving safety car that you can put on the track that runs by itself so you can have a little interference.

"Big Smooth"

Fellow Slotheads-  I checked out Monte's digital system last night.  It definately adds some new elements to slot car racing.  You can now slam your oponents from behind as well as the standard "rub".  We also had a jumping/flying contest-not sure who one.....We both had some spectacular offs.  I found it to be a real challenge to get into the correct lane for pit stops and for passing.  I think I was pressing the lane change button too often or too late- I don't know.  Anyway it was fun.

Rico

Here's a progress report fresh from the Digital Hills.

This is the table that Jack built:

http://www.naste.org/members/monte/Table.JPG

This is the track that sits on the table that Jack built:

http://www.naste.org/members/monte/Testing.JPG

This is the RECESSED track that sits on the table that Jack built. 
Monte cut, hacked and jigsawed pieces as best he could to give the track a recessed appearance.

http://www.naste.org/members/monte/Recess1.JPG

http://www.naste.org/members/monte/Recess2.JPG

More as it occurs.

"Big Smooth"

We're making some progress.  The "wild boy" protection is in place saving wear and tear on my garage door, water heater and the cars!  Working on the basic painting now.

http://www.naste.org/members/monte/DSC00881.jpg

"Big Smooth"

Smooth, I'm thinkin' I can clear the water heater wall!  ------------------------Bill

Monte- I think he may be right, but I think the garage door trick is definitely going to require more effort and practice!

My boys and I are slowly building a SSD track. We're still rug racing, but I've already got a 6 car Powerbase which I'll be sending off for the PB-Pro and Simple-H mods so that I get the extra features and power management for enjoyable 6 car racing. Still need to clear space in the garage, but that's a long overdue project anyway. I spend most of my slot-related time on slotforums.com. Does NASTE or PSSRA have a forum there anywhere? I couldn't find one. Anyway there's tons of great digital stuff happening there.

It looks like digital is still a pretty rare thing in these parts, at least from a club point of view. Seems most clubs are still analog... which bores me. I'd love to meet up with and race/talk with local SSD enthusiasts.

12 (edited by reek455 March 5, 2009 9:07 am)

Welcome aboard- You have found the Naste Forum. If you go to the Naste Home page and click on links there is a link to the PSSRA homepage.  At this time there is only one SCX digital track in our little group up and running.  We had the first competition last Saturday and it was a blast.  Where are you located?

Rico

I updated my profile a little. I'd have an avatar, but can't get anything useful or recognizable into 60x60 10k. that's truly teeny weeny.
Anyway, I'm in Auburn, WA. There's a lot of slot activity near my (Tacoma, mostly), but I haven't seen any digital yet. Do you know of any?

I personally do not.  Try getting a hold of someone at the PSSRA or get in contact with Tony at the FantasyWorld Hobbies warehouse.  They have an analog track set up there and he has a good pulse on what's happening in the area.  You just have to resize anything you want to use as an avatar and save it some where you can find it.

Rico

Rico,

I did make an avatar, but unless I wanted it to be all pixelated, can't get it under 10k. Pretty harsh limit for such a low traffic board, but whatever. It's not important enough to me to make a big deal out of it.

I'll contact someone at PSSRA or Fantasy World to see if there's anyone to hook up with for some digital racing in the area. Hopefully it's not just me. :\

I'm not aware of anyone with a digital track in the Auburn area but there are a few coming into play in our local area.  It's the direction of the future.

About the Avatar...  It's a matter of what the forum software allows rather than any restriction we have put into place.

Are you currently able to race 6 cars with the Scaley setup?  I considered adding digital to my current Scaley track but ended up in a great deal involving SCX Digital.

"Big Smooth"

Oops, lost track of this forum spending time on SlotForum. smile
Yes, I can run 6 cars on SSD with the 6 car powerbase. The PB-Pro and Simple-H mods coupled with a USB-Aux cable to my laptop running a nifty program called SSD Console and it's a whole new ball game. I've not only got fuel management, but fuel load simulation. A full tank slows down the car, and as you burn it off, you speed up. smile It's pretty sweet.
I'm awaiting delivery of a 20 amp power supply to really get things moving. The garage still needs cleaning, but we're still having fun with changing layouts and racing on the floor. smile My favorite part about SSD, having learned about other digital systems, is how easy it is to convert any analog car to digital. We've got Carrera, Scalextric, and AutoArt cars all sharing the digital track. And with the PB-Pro mod, if I have an analog car I don't want to (or haven't yet) chip, I can put it in analog mode and run the one car on my digital track with no extra modding required. smile

A little update on my digital journey.
The garage has been cleaned up enough to make a table and lay down some track. this is what it looks like right now:
http://www.ggaub.com/slots/cars/Garage_Layout_01/13_The_New_Layout.jpg
We've got all the best upgrades the SSD modders can offer, and the table is well on its way to completion. Only a few small additions are needed, primarily safety walls and drivers stations. Once I get that up and running I'll have an open race day for local slotters to see what SSD is all about.

That looks great.  How many cars do you run at the same time?

"Big Smooth"

I've got the 6 car PB, so up to 6. I don't have 6 drivers yet, though. ;-) I've done three so far, my two boys and I. I've also done 5 pace cars and myself, but pace cars don't see each other and crash way more often. ;-) I'm looking forward to being "done" and having an open race day. I'm starting out with 4 drivers at once, though, until the visitors get used to driving digital. Transitioning from years of analog racing might be hard. ;-)

It is a mind-set change that's for sure.  You have to get used to looking ahead in case you're about to overtake a car in your lane.

"Big Smooth"

not to mention not changing lanes INTO someone. ;-)

So if you have a digital sysetem do you still install your own controller interfaces so you can use your own controller, or do you have to go with the digital ones that come with the set that you are using?

"The 3rd"

24 (edited by MrFlippant January 18, 2010 9:14 am)

Digital systems use low resistance to control the powerbase which in turn sends control signals to the cars, so you can't use the same ideas for digital driver stations as for analog. As such, most digital users stick with the OEM controllers. Some aren't so great. That's why there's a market for third party controllers. The Slot.it controller comes with connections for all the digital systems. There are also system-specific aftermarket controllers, not to mention simple mods to improve the feel and quality of the stock controllers. It depends on what system you get for what options are available.
But when it comes down to it, you can't just bring any digital controller to any digital track (unless it's the slot.it one and you bring the appropriate cables and flip the appropriate dip switches) like you can for analog controllers (assuming the connection method is universal or compatible).

25 (edited by GulfRacer October 8, 2010 11:40 pm)

I've got a permanent Scalextric Digital system in the garage and an SCX Digital system in the closet.