Topic: 1/24 IROC for NASTE races

I see we have 2 votes for "something else" in the poll for 1/24 IROC cars. How about some suggestions for "something else"? I'd like some more options!!!  -------------------------Bill

Re: 1/24 IROC for NASTE races

I voted for Flexi's so I have no idea.  Of course there were those kits that the one place had on sale - the Cobra, RSK and so forth.  Didn't you get one of those?

"Big Smooth"

Monte, Do you mean the 1/24 Strombecker Cheetah kit I got from EJ's Hobbies? If so that's not a bad idea. Those kits are only $50 and they are 100% ready to assemble and race (same cost as the proposed 1/32 class at BSCC. And they are probably worth more than that on Ebay to collectors!).  -----------------------Bill

I voted econo, but the EJ's kits would be ok by me, or something comparable.  On the forum in the link for the Tifosi class, there is a post about the D3 chassis.  These look interesting to me, but probably not too different from what I know of the current econo class, which is very little.  The Tifosi class looks like it would be fun, but I am unsure of the format to be used, can anyone shed some light?

Thanks for listenin
Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Hey Rico, I don't think the details of the Tifosi IROC class have been finalized. It looks to me like that will be a separate series not connected to  the NASTE Point Series. The EJ's kits are very cool and a super bargain! If we could get enough interest for maybe 3 other members to buy a kit, assemble it, and volunteer theirs for one of our IROC races I would go for that. I would be willing to volunteer one for our races. As far as something similar, I'll check through my old chassis, I may have enough of another vintage chassis to put together some similar cars. If anybody else has some old vintage 1/24 stuff they would be willing to use in our IROC races let me know. Maybe between a few of us we could race something different? I'll check this weekend and make a list of what I have available (Larry - this maybe our chance to get a vintage class going!!!!????).   -----------------------------Bill

Yes, those were the cars I was talking about.  Let me know what you need, I'm always willing to help.  Especially if we can get the EJ's guy to throw in a few extra bodies.  We know he has 'em.

"Big Smooth"

Here's a link to the cars we're talking about if anyone is interested:

Strombecker Cheetah, Lotus 30 and Chaparral 2
http://www.ejshobbies.com/cars/basement/monogram.html

Porsche RS-60
http://www.ejshobbies.com/cars/revell/revell.html

It looks like the Lotus 30 might have a different motor than the others.  Hard to say but it would be a fun group to run together.  He's also got a pretty good deal on a complete brass chassis setup for both 1/32 and 1/24.  I doubt that they will handle like a Tifosi but that's not exactly the point here.  Just good-old-fashioned racin'.  And the parts are available to keep them running if we get too wild.

"Big Smooth"

Monte, I doubt if we could get EJ's to throw in anything. he seems like a nice guy, but he is definately a business man! I have quite a few old vintage cars, but probably not a whole bunch that are alike. However, I'm wondering if an IROC race of "similar" cars might be acceptable? I might be able to put together 6 or 7 cars with old vintage chassis that use the same motors. In addition to the same type motors I could fit them with like gearing and rear tires. The final results would be cars that were similar in handling. It might be an opportunity for everyone to try different types of old vintage cars?  -----------------Bill

There are lots of vintage chassis/cars on ebay, and if you watch closely you can get some pretty good deals

Rico

Well the NASCAR flexis made it through another race! This time we KILLED one, but there were no other problems. Two of the seven handled like crap, but oh well, they handled like crap for everybody! These things were a lot of fun on the Cape Horn 6 lane track with it's narrow lane spacing!!!   -----------------------Bill

I think Rico is on to something.. NOT Flexis but 1/24th Vintage slot cars.. Like the new class that Bill & I are trying to get going.  These are the first RTR's that were in the sixties.. The T-jets of big scale..  They sold over 1 million Classic Manta Ray in 1966 and there are still a lot of them still out there or in part.. And that is just the Manta Ray... Then Garvic, Monogram, Tester & Revell Made like chassis cars that ran 36d sidewinder motors with body mounts built into the chassis... For easy mounting of a 4" body like the parma Nascar. I vote no more IROC and start building our own cars and racing them.. Check out in the !/24th Blogs..

One of the problems with everyone building their own cars is that we run three different scales and it is unrealistic to expect that everyone will want to spend the dollars to be competitive in every scale and style.  And that's just NASTE.  Decisions have to be made.  In fact, the one time last year that we allowed racers to run their own cars, we had two other cars show up.  I suppose if the class were clearly defined so that we ran one of each scale car for a season it wouldn't be so bad.  But if we allow open mods then the car builders have a distinct advantage over those that just want to race.  Once again, decisions have to be made.

So Larry, how many of these "vintage" cars can you supply for us to race?  And personally, yes, I'd pay a REASONABLE price.  See, I got this 36D motor...

"Big Smooth"

One possible solution would be run this vintage class as part of the Naste Thursdays, that way it would not change or interfere with the tried and true Naste formula for Saturdays.  One question I have is what type of track do these cars run on? (yes, I'm that ignorant)  I personally think it would be fun to try something like this as long as the chassis and motors are stock.  I do not have the knowledge or inclination to rewind armatures.  One additional item would be some sort of spec tire so everyone is on an equal footing.  As far as bodies, I would hope that we could come up with something a little more interesting than Nascar bodies.  To me, the Vintage chassis style=vintage body style.  I've seen this type of chassis for sale on Ebay with both vacuum formed and hard bodies.  Which style would we want to run?  More decisions.....................
Rico

14 (edited by LARRYBOSS302 November 17, 2008 12:44 pm)

Well right now on e-bay there are no less then 2 dozen cars or chassis for sell.. I understand that you are into the scale 1/32 racing and this might not be for everyone. Before the big 1/32 scale stuff got going our group ran our own cars that we built and the racing was fun & completive.
This New Class will give all of us who want a chance to see what it was like to race and go back into the sixties and reliving the first RTR slot cars. These cars were fast for what they were and every slot car company made this type of aluminum sidewinder 36d chassis. I have no idea if one chassis is better then another, but what I remember from back in the day they were all about the same..
These cars are like 1/24 T-jets to drive witch means the fastest car might not win the race. You have to drive them and work on the car a little to get it to handle.. There is really nothing to build unless you start with just a chassis and then all you have to do is bolt it together. This isn't rocket science to find & buy one of these cars.
  The cost is about the same or less then one of the 1/32 cars to buy. And the nice thing is when you get done racing it you can resale it and get your money back. You won't do that with a 1/32 car that you have been racing.  I'm into cheap racing and to be able to  restore & race then resale the car and make money seems good to me.
Hey this is for fun and and the reason these cars will be competive with each other is because they all have to run tall rear wheels and tires because of the big gear you have to run with the tall 36d motor. Most of the cars will have to run 1 1/8" rear tire so the ring gear will clear the track.. That is just the way the chassis were designed back then and everyone copied other manufacture that had the hot selling car of the week.  So every company ended up with making this type of aluminum chassis for there RTR cars.
Mr. Bill will be putting pictures of all the types of cars and chassis for the NEW Class so you know what to look for and buy.  It is best & cheapest to buy a complete running car or chassis, but if you have a lot of vintage slot car parts then you could start with just a chassis.  Anyway check out the pictures that Bill will be putting on tonight in the NEW SLOT CAR CLASS in the form.   
Ok for an answer on rear tires... There is no way we can run a spec. tire in this class because you are going to have to hunt for tall used or new tires on e-bay and you can't find enough of the same tires for every car.  Most of the sponge tire of the sixties was about the same.. Hard and harder, but the good thing is you don't ware out tires.. A lot of the old used tires can be turned down a very little bit and take the crust off and they work good like new ones. You could run new Parma Drag tires, but these cars are so light and the tires have so much grip that you would be tipping over at every corner.  The rear end of the car needs to be able to slid in the corners to stay in the slot.. Also they made some huge rear tires back in the day so use some wisdom when buying tires... We would like the rear tires to be inside the body if at all possible and not look like they ran them 3 feet out of each side of the body back in the day.
I don't think the plan was to race these this year, but to let everyone have time to find a car and tool it up for racing next winter. 
Rico these cars are run on a 1/24th scale routed wood tracks with NO magnets like your use too. You will really have to drive these cars and it might take some time to learn to drive one of these babies, but it will be a blast and a lot of fun. And isn't that what slot car racing is about? THE FUN! Larry

We need more discussion and research on this proposed class. Larry and I have talking about it for sometime now, so we are probably a little ahead of everybody. Rico, I like the spec tire idea, although like larry said, getting the tall old style tires is a crap shoot. But,  I do have quite a stockpile of tires I have purchased over the years! Yes, probably enought to outfit everybody. So at this point I propose we have more discussion to determin which chassis would be competetive and what bodies we would like to use. I will check through my stockpile of slot car crap and see what I've got and how much/many. I may even have a stickpile of "spec" motors. We maybe able to put this class together as an RTR class, with the cars either complete or in kit form.  ------------------Bill

my thought is that we run all vintage cars, with vintage style bodies.  You run whatever you bring, and there are no rules as long as it has a vintage style chassis and body.  However the races do not count for points, so there's no inclination to beat out everyone with a hot car, just a race where everyone can have a fun time and race their cars.  After a few races we could see what works and start developing rules to follow after.

My other thought is that we just build simple, not flexing brass pan cars. Just based on a flat peice of brass with small walls on the outside for body and axle mounting.

Just some thoughts, AJ

AJ, I like your thoughts to get us started in the right direction. Running and experimenting with different vintage style cars is a good idea. We may find other types of chassis that are comparible with the ones we have in mind. I'm thinkin' we play around with different cars and try to figure something out for next season.

Building simple cars is another option I like. That type of chassis would better suite model car injection molded bodies. 

We have plenty of time to experiment!!!!

-----------------Bill

AJ the trouble with running any vintage car is that I have been building vintage slot cars and collecting them for 45 years and I have about everything they ever made that was fast.. Now do you want to race against me? We have to start at a entry level vintage car that are cheap to buy and easy to get. I just won another Revell car tonight for $13.27. You can't by a H.O. car that cheap that is 40 years old..  If I can do it anyone can.. I have a lot of vintage slot cars that I would like to run, but does anyone want to run $100 or more slot cars? No.. Some of the best handling car by COX, Classic, Monogram and Revell sell for way over $100 - $1000 for new in the box cars.
I picked the cars and chassis that are cheap to buy and easy to get parts for and work on. They made millons of these cars in the hey day and there are alot of them still around cheap..  the thing with these cars is that you can't lower them because of the motor & gearing and you have to run the same gear ratio + a 36d motor and it would be real hard for anyone to cheat. It will all be in the way you set it up that makes it handle or not.. These are driving cars and it will be the guy who drives the best that wins the race... not the fastest car... Putting a rewind in your motor will only hurt you because these cars are so top heavy but yet light.  These car won't be able to handle the power they come with..  LC