Mercedes SLR
Mercedes 300 SL
AC Ace
MGA
Austin Healey 100
Porsche 550
Thunderbird
Kellison

1,452 (edited by docdoom January 2, 2020 6:25 pm)

Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

So these is my thoughts on the Classic Sports Car Division.
Classic Sports Car Division 1  18k h&r motor 8mm rims and tires ,tires open  pod or non pod chassis, pod free for movement.
Classic Sports Car Division 2 /Class 15 - Sportscar Era Class - Pre-Ground Effect (PGE)  nsr 20k motor 10mm wheels and tires, tires open, open chassis. guys could buy any of the classic nsr cars and race right out of the box. the slot it cars would only need a motor swap
Vintage Sports Car. This is a spec motor class. Cars will be required to use the H&R 14k motor only. Class is limited to pre 1960 cars, replicating cars built and raced through 1959. Chassis construction must be rigid with no separate articulating pieces such as hinged side pans, motor pods, or suspension type front axle mounts. Motor "podded" chassis will NOT be allowed. Eligible car's rear wheel width and tire contact patch must be 7mm or less. Track width must be no wider than the car's body width, tire and wheel must be completely within the body wheel opening. No portion of the tire/wheel shall be visible when viewed from above. Bodies shall not be modified to increase front or rear track (no fender flares or widening of body).

The secondnidator

It's race day! My favorite class is back on the schedule for tonight, Can Am has been fast and close racing the last couple times around. Doc edged me out last time, but I'm coming for blood!

Zack

I had a great time as well. Congrats to Al on the win in Classic 1, it was a tight race!

Zack

1,455 (edited by reek455 January 10, 2020 2:47 pm)

Wouldn’t you know my new classic 1 tires were waiting for me when I got home

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Last night was a lot of fun. I would like to thank everyone for the racing fun and a special thanks to all of those who helped Joel and I. We both had a blast. Joel wasn't sure how he would do with his eyesight (he is legally blind), but he seemed to do just fine if he had a light colored car. He loved the way Zach's red Ferrari handled but just couldn't see it well enough.

Mt Goat wrote:

Last night was a lot of fun. I would like to thank everyone for the racing fun and a special thanks to all of those who helped Joel and I. We both had a blast. Joel wasn't sure how he would do with his eyesight (he is legally blind), but he seemed to do just fine if he had a light colored car. He loved the way Zach's red Ferrari handled but just couldn't see it well enough.

I'm glad he had a good time Tom, considering lack of experience and eyesight issues I though he did very well. Drove within his limits and was very sportsmanlike!

You did great as well, your already picking up speed!

Zack

January 9 race results:

Can Am
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0135RRR.jpg

Classic Sports Car Division I
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0137RRR.jpg

Open Class
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0138RRR.jpg

GT LMP
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0139RRR.jpg

Results from January 23, 2020 Race:

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/RRRIMG_0144.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/RRRIMG_0145.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/RRRIMG_0146.jpg

TRANS-AM   Bah Humbug...

Great racing tonight all around.

Lemans is hand down some of the best racing we have in the club. Putting Chris in the mix tonight made it that much better!

Great racing Doc, it was anyones race until the tire issue!

Zack

I think its important also at this time to make a decision about the tires for Carrera DTM.

It is my opinion that we should open it up to Paul gauge Urethanes now, so people have some time to test these cars before the first race with them.

I am not an officiant, hopefully Bill or someone else can make this decision stick.

Zack

docdoom wrote:

Or instead  go with thunderslot rubber they fit perfect

I of course would be fine with this, but because of the variables in rubber tire prep. I think most people wanted to stick with urethanes on these. I am fine with it as long as we have some sort of "spec" tire for the class.

They won't be any fun otherwise, since they are slow.

Zack

If they are all loose who cares. Its the same for everyone at least.

Zack

Let’s all agree to play nice....Hahahaha

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Just a new guy idea here. When Joel and I first showed up a few weeks back  it seemed daunting to build a car for a class we were going to race. What if we raced a class every odd Thursday that was for a cheap car (only 1 car would be legal so everyone ran the same car and only legal mod was tuning). This would be so brand new people could buy and race their own car the very first time they came to the track. I would think something like the Scalextric Start F1 car which handles decent out of the box and is $25 shipped to your door. If the club carried 2 or 3 all the time then they would be available for purchase when new folks showed up. And the new folks could leave with a car to tune before the next race. Maybe this class would always be raced, but if no new folks showed up then people just race whatever class is decided on instead. Any thoughts?

I like the idea Tom. It works for me but I would want to keep the format as is for the other races. The problem there is one more race on the schedule and some guys often leave after the first two races. It's worth discussion.

I also like that idea Tom. Sounds like a really good way to get new people more involved and up to speed more rapidly. I would also add what Al stated in his previous post.

Mt Goat wrote:

...What if we raced a class every odd Thursday that was for a cheap car (only 1 car would be legal so everyone ran the same car and only legal mod was tuning). This would be so brand new people could buy and race their own car the very first time they came to the track. I would think something like the Scalextric Start F1 car which handles decent out of the box and is $25 shipped to your door. If the club carried 2 or 3 all the time then they would be available for purchase when new folks showed up. And the new folks could leave with a car to tune before the next race....

Literally, ANYTHING BUT an F1 car and I'm in...  If we only knew someone with a whole bunch of cheap cars who could leave a stash at Al's.  Hmmmmm....  If only.

My vote for something like this (and I do like the idea) would be for a MonoVel class with Sebring chassis'd cars.  Yes, it'd probably mean a different set of tires but they are cheap and plentiful and a whole bunch of bodies come on the chassis so you can run whatever style you want.  We would need to take stock in a lead company though as we'll probably need a LOT of it to make them run well.

Chris

This was kind of the founder's theory behind my old SoCal club...run cars as close to box stock as possible to allow for newbies or cheap ba****ds like me (who don't have a lot of free spending $$) to race at least one class all the time. It worked out well, and the racing ended up being pretty close, as all the cars were as good (or as bad) as each other. I'm for it!

I wonder if the Carrera DTM class could be raced as a beginner class? A few reasons I ask is....
1) Club people already have them
2) Wouldn't require a new class
3)They are fairly inexpensive (Although not as cheap as others)
4)Mods are limited to BOSA tires

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...................MonoVel............I think I saw some of those somewhere............Not sure how many have Sebring chassis. Probably the Porsche 904 and King Cobras. I know the kits do..........think I saw some of those........

MRRC cars have Sebring chassis...........Hmmmmmmmmmmmm............I remember seeing a bunch of those somewhere also...

I'm also with Chris K on having no F1 cars in this proposed class...MonoVel or Carrera DTM seem like good candidates.

Pardon my ignorance, but whatis MonoVel? I have done searches and can't seem to figure it out. Anyone have a link they could send?

Tom - The moulds for several cars were passed between companies or the companies were bought out or whatever, but long story short is Revell, Monogram, and MRRC models all share a certain percentage of parts.  The bodies and wheels are model specific but most (if not all) of their offerings come with the Sebring chassis underneath them.

There are some which don't (GT350, Cobra Daytona) but there are many which do (Cheetah, 64 250 GTO LM, 904, 910, King Cobra).  All of those are by memory, but Bill would be the man who can confirm as he probably has multiple of all of them.

And by "probably", I mean "definitely".