Topic: Lane spacing for 1/24 scale cars?

I'm working on a design for a small routed track. If possible I would like to make the lanes wide enough to run both 1/24 and 1/32 scale cars on it. What would be the minimum lane spacing to allow two 1/24 cars to pass each other?

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

Re: Lane spacing for 1/24 scale cars?

George I think most 1/24 racers would say 4" lane spacing is the minimum. My 1/24 track is at 4" and there's quite a bit of "contact" racing. I've done some measuring with different cars and with the cars in perfect alignment you could get by with 3 3/4" between lanes. But we know the cars are very rarely in perfect alignment! Carrera track lane spacing would probably be a good rule of thumb. Glenn, what's Carrera track lane spacing?  ----------------------Bill

Carrera is said to be 3 7/8" (98 mm) spacing. I read on an Aussie forum to use at least 100mm with 150~200mm apron in the outside turn for sliding. The problem would be that for 1/32 it would be quite far apart. I'll probably stick with the Carrera spacing at max. then. The 1/24 plastic model kits I have are all under 3 1/4" wide. Since I will mostly run 1/32 scale cars I may stick to the Ninco spacing of 3 17/32" and adapt my 1/24 chassis to fit this width.

We'll talk more on Saturday.

George

--

Come to think of it...that will only allow for 1/4" between the cars...I'd better go for the compromise of 3-3/4" spacing then.

George

--

I think you can get by just fine with the 3 3/4" spacing George. It will be a tad tight  for the 1/24 cars, but I think it would make for interesting racing. Plus it will be more sensible for the 1/32 cars.  ------------Bill