Topic: Getting Started in Proxy Racing

Rico, Greg and I have been having a good time with the Proxy races.  Recently I've been talking to others that are interested in the proxy scene so this might be a good time to take a look at what that is. 

A proxy race is one where you build a car to a spec and then send it off to do battle around the country or around the world on other tracks as driven by their local drivers.  It's a lot of fun keeping track of the results and seeing how your skills match up with other slot racers around the globe.

As it turns out there are a number of them in a wide variety of formats.  The three that I have become involved with most recently are:

SCX WorldWide Proxy Rally - an event for classic SCX rally cars that is just about to start - we expect the first event in January.  Entry is now closed for this one.

International Proxy Series - the IPS is an event for classic cars using lower powered motors.  We just completed round 7 here at Penguin Point.  There is one more round to go and plans are already underway for next year.  If you like classic race cars from the early 60's and previous this is the one for you.

World Challenge Touring Car Series - the WCTC is a series for coupes and GT's similar to the DTM cars that run in the current real world series.  If you like Pugs, BMW's, Alfa's and Volvo's, then this is the class for you.  This one is also winding down this season but is planning to start up the next one with not one, but two classes.

And as I say, there are many others.  The Race Across America (RAA) has so many entries this year that they have moved to a general qualifier to get the field down to a reasonable size.  Then there's the Fly Truck Proxy, The Last Open Road, the Cheetahs, many and varied.

Here's a link to more

It's a fun time so get in the swing.  Got questions?  Ask away.  I just think a few more of the local members might want to give this a try.  It's also a great way to get a handle on car development - a skill we can all benefit from knowing more about.

"Big Smooth"

Re: Getting Started in Proxy Racing

That sounds very interesting!  Is there a series you would reccommend for someone just starting out?  I would probably need a month or two to put one together.  I don't care about the style of car, or type of racing.  I would just love to build a car and have it raced.

Finishing second, isn't much better than finishing at all........  (I believe a David Pearson quote)

Howdy Mike.  If you don't mind classic sports cars, I'd go with the IPS.  The cars are a little slower and perhaps easier to get a handle on.  Let's see what Rico and Greg have to say.

"Big Smooth"

I would agree with Monte, the IPS would be a good start since this years is on the last round and a new one should get going after New Years.  I did stumble across a new one getting started yesterday for Slot.it cars.  It would be open cockpit, short wheelbase cars: Ferrari 312PB, Alfa 33/3, and Chaparral 2E.  Here's a link for more info: http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/porta … ost449423. 

Regards
Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Rico,

I'm interested in the IPS series, but have no clue as what cars would be legal.  Is there a rtr car you could suggest, that I could get my feet wet with so to speak. 

Thanks,
Mike

Finishing second, isn't much better than finishing at all........  (I believe a David Pearson quote)

Did you go to Slotcar Illustrated? If not, try here: http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/porta … hp?t=44831
Most people don't run a RTR, but a good choice to start with would be Ninco Classics like the Porsche 356, Jag XK-120 or Ferrari Testarossa.
I hope this helps.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.