Topic: 3 lanes on 4' x 8' ?

Well, I'm beginning to become very frustrated with the track I bought several years ago.  Mostly my fault, for not having researched it more.  But I'm thinking about building a track.

Right now I have a 2 lane Ninco track, sorta double U shaped on each end, on 4' x 8' plywood.  I'm curious if it's realistic to build a routed 1/32, 3 lane track on 4' x 8' plywood similar to what I have now.  I have very limited space, and I would like the track to be portable.  I'm not interested in a 1/43 scale track, though I may race that scale on this track. 

Seems to me, that since Ninco track is wide, and the turns very broad, maybe I could make a 3 lane track in the same space, with somewhat same design.  I'm not concerned about a fast track, in fact, I prefer more of a drivers track so to speak. 

Anyway, like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Finishing second, isn't much better than finishing at all........  (I believe a David Pearson quote)

Re: 3 lanes on 4' x 8' ?

You are absolutely correct. You can build a nice three lane track on a single 4 X 8. If you incorporate an overpass you can have  a nice layout in that small amount of space. Check SCI again in the routed wood track forums for some ideas...

-------------------------Bill

Where's Dave's old track?  That would be perfect.

"Big Smooth"

4 (edited by CascadeMike September 15, 2010 11:46 am)

That's good to hear.  And having a track right now, I could continue using it till I finished building one. 

Do you know what the recommended slot depths and widths for routed tracks should be?

What was Dave's track like?

Finishing second, isn't much better than finishing at all........  (I believe a David Pearson quote)

Last I heard Dave's track was for sale in McMinnville for $150!!!! What a steal!!!

Dave's track was similar in design to my routed HO track. Both tracks were roughly designed after a larger 1/32 track we raced on years ago at Lee Dundas'.

I don't know what the lane spacing was on Dave's track, but I used 3 1/2" on the track I am currently building. In part because I want the option of being able to run narrow 1/24 scale cars in addition to 1/32 cars.

As far as slot depth, I just make sure it is deep enough for a 1/24 commercial track style of guide flag (i.e. a Parma guide flag). I use the 1/24 guide flag to set the router bit depth.

------------------------------Bill

I think I would like to keep my lane spacing for 1/32 and smaller, since I'm on such a tight space, if I build one.

How can I contact Dave?

Thanks!

Dave's old track was for sale a while back on Craig's list and the price was definitely right.  The bad news is there is no way to find the seller if it sold at all, now it's just one of life's little mysteries, well at least until it comes up for sale again.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Thanks Rico.  Maybe for the best, sorta pushes me into building one!

Here's Dave's email address Mike: dmshobbyworld@yahoo.com

There are photos of the track Dave built here: http://www.naste.org/naste_site/ 

look under "Even More Photos". Dave's Mineral Springs Raceway is in the first 7 photos.

-----------------Bill