Re: New Track Under Construction at TooBad Motorplex in Fairview

Thanks Rico. I think so too. What is missing in the photo is the other half of the NASTE "S" which is also pretty tight.

The change looks pretty minor to me.  Probably wise to have considered both scales. 

Thanks for the updates, and great job!

Finishing second, isn't much better than finishing at all........  (I believe a David Pearson quote)

You're right Mike, the change is pretty minor. The portion of the curve I re-routed was decreasing radius from approximately 5 inch to about 3 1/2 inch. The middle of the curve was redone with a constant 5 inch radius which should make it a smoother transition to the cars. The inside lane now has a radius very close to that of the middle lane.

Spent the day today working on the track. I got a pilot lane routed for the last two turns and two of the three remaining straights, in addition to some misc. stuff. I should be able to finish up the routing with one more full day. Now I just need to find the day!   --------------------Bill

Good for you!  Love to see more photos if you have time.

Finishing second, isn't much better than finishing at all........  (I believe a David Pearson quote)

It's OFFICIAL!!! The new track at TooBad Motorplex is now a complete circuit! Lap length measures out at 84 1/2 feet........Photo updates soon................   --------------------Bill

Woo-hoo!

"Big Smooth"

Great news and we needed a large 1/32 track in the area for proxy races and proxy car set up. Way to go Bill.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Thanks Rico. It's all down hill from here.....

Still workin'........................

Any progress to report?

"Big Smooth"

Not that anyone will notice.............almost done with the support structures for the elevations and overpass....

This track has been quite a project so far! Unlike anything I have built before....

Any photos to see the latest work?

Hi Mike. I've been taking more photos along the way, but I haven't updated the series of photos and details I have already posted. I'll try to get the photos updated this weekend. I should have all the support structure completed by then so you can actually see some results!

Thanks for your interest Mike!   ---------------------Bill

I uploaded more photos of the track construction onto the Slot-Tech Gallery. These new photos will bring you up to date on my progress.

Time for bondo and primer now!    --------------------------Bill

Thanks for adding more photos Bill.  Fun to see the progress.

Wish I had the room to do something like that........... I know I could fit a routed track in our living room........ specially after me and all my stuff got moved out!!

I can identify with that Mike!

My wife is great, but I fully understand that the garage is my space for my stuff! I'm just lucky I have a good sized garage. .....but as I see it, it could always be bigger.................my wife has a slightly different view.....

-----------------------Bill

Got some Bondo laid down and sanded today...........

Measured the lap length; left lane = 84 feet 7 1/4 inches

center lane = 84 feet 7 7/8 inches

right lane = 84 feet 8 1/4 inches

Wish I could take credit for great engineering design, but it was just dumb luck!!!!!    -------------------------------------Bill

Wow!  1 inch divided by 84 feet, let's see, multiply 84 by.................. well anyway, that is mighty impressive!

Sunday September 26th. Still applying Bondo to the joints and holes. There are a total of 12 joints in the track running surface. Of the 12 I have 7 Bondo'd and sanded. There are very few small holes to fill, probably less than a dozen, and I have most of those done. The joints fit together very well, and I'm sure the cars would run fine without filling and sanding the seams, but I want no regrets when I look back on my finished product.

So at what point does striving for perfection become anal retentive??????   -------------------------Bill

Bill.........I think you are there.....you might have the smoothest track around!!     Did you ever cover the vette?? or is it under an inch of bondo dust. lol

"Due to economic cutbacks,the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"

I actually washed the Vette a couple weeks ago! We've had it out to dinner a couple times since then.

So, only two joints left to Bondo and sand.....

I also got the glazing putty down today on all the smaller imperfections in the joints I already had Bondo'd & sanded...

Almost ready for the first coat of primer!!!!    ----------------------------Bill

Good to hear you had the Vette out a few times this summer....what color are you going to paint the track? something light or dark?.  I cant wait to hear when you have power to it!!!

"Due to economic cutbacks,the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"

I'm going to paint the track with the same paint and color John Powers used on his track in Auburn Washington. My thought is cars can be set up on either track with racers being able to expect similar handling characteristics at either track. Maybe we can get some interstate races going?

Excellent...you are a uniter.....not a divider.:D=D