Topic: New Track Under Construction at TooBad Motorplex in Fairview

OK, awhile back I started the NASTE IROC Camaro Project. Things came up and I put it on hold. Well I've come to the realization (again) that having a track to test on is very important to me. So I have suspended the Camaro build up, and on May 1st i started working on a new routed track. Initially the plan was to use the pieces I had already routed for a track I started about 5 years ago and never finished. Well that hasn't worked out very well with what I now have in mind.

So what I've done to this point is re-done everything. I've posted some photos under "Slot-Tech" that show the build so far. I plan to add photos and description as I go along. As of today I have about 1/3 to 1/2 of the track routed. It is coming along very well, and I am motivated! So check the photos, and I'll keep you all posted.....   -----------------------Bill

Re: New Track Under Construction at TooBad Motorplex in Fairview

Great day workin' on the track today. But man am I beat and sore now! I've got the hilltop sections of the track connected and secured to the benchwork. That part of the track is ready for a little bondo and some primer. Now I can start the routing of the infield section, the last of the routing. I posted an additional 19 photos of my progress in the Slot-Tech Gallery.  --------------------Bill

Bill- First chance I've had to look at the pics.  That is looking really nice, great job.  I can't wait to give it a try.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Thanks!.....Me TOO!!!!

Love to see the photos, but for the life of me, I can't figure out where the "slot tech" section is.

Finishing second, isn't much better than finishing at all........  (I believe a David Pearson quote)

6 (edited by reek455 July 1, 2010 2:12 pm)

Hey Mike- the link is on the Naste Home Page right under the picture.  Then click on "new track at TooBad Motorplex".  It's not in the forum section.

Rico

Thanks Rico!

Finishing second, isn't much better than finishing at all........  (I believe a David Pearson quote)

Hi Bill, thanks for sharing the photos, and putting descriptions with them!  That had to have taken some time too!  Very interesting to see how the track is made and built.

Thanks Mike. I'm getting better at the gallery stuff, so it doesn't take me nearly as long as it used to!

As far as the track construction I use a few different methods when it comes to routing the lanes. They all work and I can't say I really prefer one over the other. Mostly I just enjoy building tracks.

I've been side tracked on other projects for the last week or two, but hopefully I'll find time to get more done while I'm on vacation next week.   -----------------------Bill

VACATION!  Darn...  Have a great time.

"Big Smooth"

Maybe I need to rephrase..........time off from work on the JOB....

Is there time for working on the track during this "vacation"?

That IS the plan!!!!

Put in a FULL day on the track. Got one of the elevation/transition sections tied into the infield, routed the short straight, and routed the infield sweeper (roughly a 30" radius turn for the outside lane). Worked on the overpass section, making it into a wicked "S" curve. Maybe a little too wicked?! I'm worried (on the inside lane) a car may jam if you go into it too fast. The inside lane through this "S" is similar to the chicane on the three lane 1/24 track I had years ago. It was a very difficult section, and you had to hit it just right.  There aren't any really difficult turns in this track so far. This one has very good visibility as it is close to the driver's stations. It will also be easy to turn marshal. I'll have to study it, and think about it a bit.

Here's that wickedly NASTE "S":

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/007.jpg

That looks like it could be quite the challenge.  Bring it on!  What's a little bondo and rerouting later?

Looks good Bill!  I had maybe a similar s curve, though probably not as sharp being Ninco track.  I really liked the skill, or luck as it was in my case, in navigating that portion of the track.  Unfortunately, the track layout then was way to driver oriented for us beginners.  But someday.......

Anyway, I hope you keep the NASTE S curve!  Looks fun!

That's one vote for the NASTE "S"  staying in.......

Thanks Mike! I'll have to get you over here after it's finished for some run time!   -------------------Bill

Thanks for the offer Bill.  I'd probably better drive something like a................... pace car!

Trying to get some work done on the track today. Haven't opened the overhead door since 7:30 this morning so it has kept pretty cool in the garage, but it is getting warmer!

After much debate with myself I have decide the NASTE "S" will be slightly revised. Part of my goal for this track is to be able to race 1/24 scale sports cars as well as 1/32 cars. With this in mind I am re-routing the kink out of the inside lane through the NASTE "S". The other two lanes will remain unchanged, but the inside lane will end up with a radius very close to that of the middle lane (roughly 5 1/2"). This should still prove to be challenging without requiring a positively perfect entry into the corner.

So the bondo is down, and I have the new radius all laid out with the router and arm set up. This track is definitely a departure from anything I've done in the past. It has way more turns and fewer straights than I have ever thought to be ideal. I have a feeling it is going to be quite challenging, maybe even too technical for 1/24 cars?.............we will see.........   ------------------------Bill

Bondo is our friend or was that Bongo?

Does Bongo Bondo???? If so is he for hire?????

Must be too hot!!!.............

He answers to the name AJ every once in a while.

HEY......ARTISTIC Bondo!!!! I need some!!!!

Got the revision to the NASTE "S" done today along with a few other things. Two more curves and three straights left to route.

Here's how the NASTE "S" ended up:

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/002.jpg

I think you made the correct decision, at least for 1/24 cars.