Re: Current Status

I have that Barracuda kit and was making it into a Team Starfish slot car for Amelia but I never finished it. The body is pretty narrow and the Pioneer chassis I was using just was too wide especially in the rear with a sidewinder motor set up.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Well happy 60th. young man!!
Sorry guys, I just can't get into the Manta Ray spirit, although I do like the wheels, beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. I do like the Car Craft mag. with the nice Ford pickup on the cover. I also like the Barracuda kit also.
I wish you had the room for that track too Bill. If you bought it and stored it in monthly fee storage place you could convince Dianne you REALLY need a place for a track to avoid the monthly fee!

That's not a terrible plan Howie! However my wife is quite wise to my tactics! It might hurt me in the long run...........garages are cold to sleep in!!!

I unburied the track today, cleaned and dusted the surface and did some paint touch up. Next I made some better spacers for under  the corner leading up to the first bridge.  The new spacers had to be tested so AJ, Dominic and I ran 300 laps or so.  AJ and I had a Reprotec Fiat duel for the ages. I may still do a little more tweaking but I'm happy with results for the most part.

Must be nice to have someone to race with at home. All i have is my teddy bear, and he won't even get off his fuzzy butt and put my car back in the slot for me. I am going to have to start figuring out a way to add a rear guide on my cars!
Sounds like you guys had a good time. When you going to start bringing kids to Thursday night racing? Although i assume they are busy with school sports. Don't remember you having track problems.

Goose wrote:

Sounds like you guys had a good time. When you going to start bringing kids to Thursday night racing? Although i assume they are busy with school sports.

AJ was just home for the weekend and is back in Eugene. I usually head to Bill's from work to save on commute time so it's doubtful that I will be bringing Dominic on Thursdays but he is enjoying the Naste Saturday races.

Goose wrote:

Don't remember you having track problems.

It wasn't really a problem, but I had raised the bridge up a 1/4" for clearance reasons a while back and had done a quickie job on the corresponding track support and track aprons weren't properly supported and kept coming off during crashes.  Hopefully I have a better solution this time.

Here we are in Grants Pass this morning. Weather is iffy at best and cold. Found a cool antique mall yesterday. I picked up a bunch of old books yesterday, 1960s and 70s vintage. In the group was a 1967 pocket size Ford Racing soft back pocket book, a 1960s famous racing drivers hard back book, and a hard back 70s Camaro book. There were SO many old books I just had to cherry pick what I liked the best. There must have been 30 or 40 old books about cars and or racing. I also bought a set of Revell track curves still in the original box. I just couldn't pass it up, the box art is beautiful! We have Diane's new lap top with us so I will try to keep up with what's going on this trip. Lastly I got a text from my daughter who's staying at our house for us while we're gone. She was wondering why there were slot car tires in the fridge!

So you do eat those things, I wondered.  I guess after a few licks they start tasting pretty good.

"Big Smooth"

Fiber!!!!

We're in Crescent City this morning. Visited the Oregon Caves yesterday. There was SNOW at the caves! The 90 minute tour of the caves was awesome! We also stopped at The Trees of Mystery on Hwy 101. I had been there with my parents about 55 years ago. It looked pretty much the same from the parking lot, except Paul Bunyan's right arm was broken off! Evidently a very large limb from one of the older trees had broken off and on it's way to the ground it dismembered poor Paul. Sunny and nice this morning. Ready for more adventure!

Just the normal drudgery of work today after getting my tooth ground on for a hour yesterday :-(

111 (edited by reek455 April 15, 2015 8:26 am)

wb0s wrote:

Lastly I got a text from my daughter who's staying at our house for us while we're gone. She was wondering why there were slot car tires in the fridge!

kidvolt wrote:

So you do eat those things, I wondered.  I guess after a few licks they start tasting pretty good.

After he figured out he shouldn't race with the dried out tires from your track, he's trying to keep his tires fresh.

I'm experimenting with a new technique, which if it pans out, I plan to score big time on that stack of tires Monte has on his track!!!

We just pulled into a motel at Fort Bragg Calif. We saw LOTS of REALLY BIG trees today!!! Even drove right through one! Eureka was a let down, and Hwy 1 is REALLY twisty on the north end from Hwy 101 to Fort Bragg!!!! I was wishing I was on a motorcycle the whole way!!!

Nice! Sounds like you're having a terrific trip with good weather! It's sunny here and a bit cold, but good weather for working in the garden. You should have knee high grass to mow when you get home.
Oh! Books! At least they are small and won't take up much room. Old racing boxes are really fun to look at. Can't wait to see that curve box the next time we're at your place. Oregon Caves and Trees of Mystery are always fun too. Too bad about Paul Bunyan. How's he going to wield his ax? sad
Enjoy the rest of your trip Bill and drive safe! smile

Took Hwy 128 over from the coast to Santa Rosa today. Temp in the 80s once we got into the valley. Saw lots of vineyards, really twisty roads, and more really BIG trees!!! Checked out an antique shop in Santa Rosa and picked up some cool old magazines for $3 apiece. Scale Modeler Volume 1 Issue 1, and some early 60s car mags. Pretty cool!

Got into San Francisco yesterday. Things didn't start out well. I screwed up our reservation to start with. We arrived on the wrong day. A day late, NOT good! It costs $50.00 per day for our CAR to stay here!!! We had dinner at Applebees and tried a Corona Rita. The first margarita drinks were really lame, so we got talked into trying the Corona Ritas, which are basically a margarita with an upside down bottle of Corona beer in it. I am now absolutely sure beer does not belong in margaritas!!!! This morning we road the cable car. The first half of the trip was great! Then to come back we had to stand in line for about an hour! This place has more weird people than Portland could even imagine!!! As a matter of fact there are way more people here than Portland could even hold! Too damn many people for me! San Francisco is not for me, I do not like this place!

Yes, San Francisco has lots of strange folks, and heavy traffic 7 days a week, but get past all that and on a nice day it is a wonderful place to be.

I echo your sentiment, can't recall ever having a really good time in 'Ol Frisco.  Although on my day of walking around by myself i discovered that all the deli's have Meatloaf sandwiches.  I considered it my "walking Meatloaf" tour.  I think we only paid $20 for our car to have a parking spot at the hotel.  Buncha bandits...

"Big Smooth"

Now you know why some folks call it San Fransicko

San Francisco sucks! Freeks, bums, garbage, facilities that don't work, and just plain TOO many people!!! I am SO glad to be outta there!  Staying over in Medford tonight.

Medford!  Sounds like you're on your way home.  To me that's always the best trip of all.

Did you visit the blast site in Roseburg?  For those that don't know the story, here...

"Big Smooth"

Nope, I'm afraid we missed that highlight!

Just got home tonight.

I think my dog belongs in San Francisco!!!!

Hot August Nights - Reno Nevada 2015.

Not so hot last night.  Pretty hot today.  LOTS of hot rods!!!!  Lots of FUN!!!

Rapid Raceway and Spare Time Raceway are both well represented here!!!

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0001.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0086.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0087.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0293.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0366.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_9957.jpg

Haven't visited this thread in awhile. Can anybody tell me why this seems to be the most popular thread with over 35,000 views???

Just for an update, here's my current work bench status!...............WHAT A MESS!!!

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_2423.jpg

I don't see a mess, I see possibilities.

Mitch, I need to have you talk to Diane!!!