Topic: Penguin Point Raceway - First Sunday Race Results - January

Wow!  What a crowd!

Nineteen racers and a few spectators came out for the start of our new first Sunday series.  Victoria and I thank you all.  We had a great time.  And a special thanks to Victoria for making a great pot of Albondigas soup on her first try!  With that large a crowd, we did get a little behind the intended schedule so we just ran the Fly Classics.  Here are the results:

Fly Classics @ 11v.  2 sets of 2 minute heats x 3 lanes

1.  Frank  80.0 laps
2.  Monte  78.7
3.  AJ  76.8
4.  Bill  76.3
5.  Randy  74.3
6.  Byron  73.6
7.  Rico  73.2
8.  Greg  72.9
9.  Brooke  72.4
10.  Tim  71.1
11.  Mike  67.1
12.  Myrna  65.9
13.  Len  63.1
13.  Victoria  63.1
15.  Richard  53.7
16.  Yeong  30.0 *
17.  George  28.7 *
18.  Sean  26.5 *
19.  Minuk  22.7 *

* Denotes racers that left early and only ran the first set of heats.

We'll work on a few of the trouble issues prior to next month and will hope to see you all back here again next month.

"Big Smooth"

Re: Penguin Point Raceway - First Sunday Race Results - January

Please, reroute the track so there can be a barrier to prevent crashes..... ;-)

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

Great idea, seems unlikely.  We need to reduce the ability of the cars to float.  I have some ideas!

"Big Smooth"

A thin strip of plastic as a barrier wall next to that from straight will work. I think I have some material that would work....   -----------------Bill

How thin?

http://www.naste.org/members/monte/DSC01126.JPG

"Big Smooth"

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........................................crap!!!!...............maybe you need a vapor barrier??????!!!!!!

How much room do you have between the blue lane and middle lane on the front straight?

Since the photo shows the cars in positions on the same lane, how about a thin wall barrier between the blue lane and the middle lane on the front straight just in that area?

I think one thing that would help minimize the deslots would to do some leveling on the track joint seen at the very bottom of the picture.   Either fill, sand and paint or just sand and paint.  Any filler would be easily separated if the track ever needs to come apart.  Maybe the joint before the tee could also get some attention.

Just my humble opinion
Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

8 (edited by reek455 January 4, 2010 8:48 pm)

I didn't realize just exactly how close the results were when they were announced.  I also didn't realize just how close those lanes were.  WOW!

Rico

Actually, that is the same lane in two different directions.  So those cars would never be that close.  Bill's idea of a barrier has merit except it could still be one of the other two cars colliding with the car in the blue lane.  I want to try filling the gaps first with some more magna-braid.  That would fill the gap as well as eliminate the unintentional dead strips.

And yes, the results were quite close for a first race.  Kinda fun wasn't it.

"Big Smooth"

I realized that it was the same lane in both directions, but any kind of barrier would still have to let the blue lane pass through with out obstructing it's path in either direction.  What about something that retains it's shape but was still flexible?  If you put the posts on the ends far enough apart you might be able to make it work by letting it flex a little if need be with out deslotting the car.

Perhaps some strips of Saran Wrap would fit between the two cars in the picture. ;-)

Perhaps, but this would be quite the undertaking, the solution is to raise the straight-away a couple inches and add an apron to the corner underneath the dead strip that allows the car in the blue lane to swing out under the straight-away.

Quite the undertaking.

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt