Topic: SCX NASCAR Class for the Summer Season

Howdy friends of the slot.  I just got off the phone with Dave Kennedy from SCX who called me to make more clear the policy on the RX42B motors that we intend to use for the Beaverton Slot Car Club summer season.

Here's the OFFICIAL policy:

If you buy a car that was last year's (2008) model that was intended to have an RX42B and it does not, SCX will replace it.

However if you get this year's model which was not intended to have an RX42B in the first place then there is no replacement, you will need to purchase one.

I also confirmed that the price of the motor is to be $9.99, not the $14.99 as currently listed on Fantasy World.

So if you are planning to buy a NEW car then you are probably more than likely going to have to buy an additional motor.  If you can find a new one from last year, it will either have the RX42B or if not, qualify for a free replacement.

Dave apologized for the confusing information that has been circulated and if you have any questions please contact me or Tony at Fantasy World.

We also tested the new and old version of the SCX cars at Bill's Too Bad Raceway last night and found them to be nice, smooth runners on a wood track with no magnets or extra weight added.  This should prove to be a fun class.

"Big Smooth"

Re: SCX NASCAR Class for the Summer Season

So what do you think?  Should we run the standard RX42 and save the 10 bucks or opt to go with the faster motor and spend the extra money?  Since Randy hasn't ordered cars yet, now is the time to decide.

My vote is to go with the better motor.

"Big Smooth"

The way I see it is if the majority of the cars have the older motor, and we are racing these cars non-magnetic, why go to the extra expense of the hotter motor? My preference would be the old motor. Faster is not necessarily better!

So I tore my two new cars down to see what motor is in them. Here's the lowdown:

Texaco /Havoline Dodge Charger #42 (Juan Pablo Montoya) REF 63420 - RX42B motor.

AT&T Impala SS #31 COT (Jeff Burton) REF 63400 - RX42 motor.

So how do I know if the COT was supposed to come with the RX42B or not? The bottom of both boxes are dated 2008.

Also just to note; the biggest difference between the COT chassis and the standard NASCAR chassis is the COT has independently rotating front wheels, the older standard chassis has a solid front axle.

On another note, my old, older style SCX NASCAR ran .10 second laps faster than my new #42 NASCAR on the BullRing........................and that was with the old RX42 motor............

So whatever the decision is, let's decide, set the rules (and leave them the hell alone!) so we can start buildin' and testin' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ---------------------Bill

BTW, the motors are a b___h to get out of these new chassis! They fit VERY tight in the motor pods and require some serious prying!!!

Yes, do be careful removing them, you can damage the pod.

"Big Smooth"

OHhhhhh, NOW you tell me!!!!!................................

In an effort to remain legal, I'm going to need some clarification regarding rule number 9:

9. Brushes and guideflags have to be SCX brand. You can remove the springyness of the guide flags so they sit lower by securing them within the collar. But you can't alter the flag itself. You can go with the double brush setup or a single brush setup. Any brand of contact braid may be used. The standard SCX braids may also be re-woven.

Can I adapt an SCX Pro guide?  It sounds like it would be legal to my way of reading.  A clarification please...

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Describe "adapt".  Does it just snap in?

"Big Smooth"

Sounds legal to me Rico!!!!..................but then, you are aware of my track record when it comes to "RULES" and interpretations!!!!!!!

It is much like the Slot.it universal blade, it is held in with a screw. Depending on the size of the hole in the chassis a spacer may be involved.  I won't know until I receive my car.

Rico

Is it a SCX screw??????????....................an SCX spacer????????

Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes!...........................

Oh you guyzzz...

"Big Smooth"

The gude flag assemblies on the COT cars are different than the older style NASCARs. I don't like the guide flag setup on either car. The whole setup to me is overly complicated, not condusive to good electrical contact, and delicate/fragile. It will be interesting to see how they hold up under serious competition. But I don't see where it would be an easy conversion to something else because there are no motor wires that connect directly to the guide flag braid. You would have to cut openings in the chassis for the wires to pass through, plus have enough clearance for the wires when the guide flag turns or swivels. As I read the rules, cutting holes in the chassis is not an allowable option. I say the guide flags should be raced as installed by the factory - STOCK. Because, if someone were to modify theirs, and it turned out to be better, it would be banned anyway if it were deemed "too hard to do"...........

15 (edited by reek455 April 17, 2009 6:33 am)

Fair enough.  I have seen a few posts where the little adapter ring or some such thing has broken.  The part is not available for purchase, but Brian Young at SCX will send it to you if you contact him.  Monte, maybe we could get some of these in advance????  They break during some/hard crashes that causes the guide to pop out and if you are not careful reinstalling the guide you can break the ring.  This is why I considered changing to the other guide, but it is what it is................

kidvolt wrote:

Oh you guyzzz...

thstop it fella.....

Actually, I already have some...

I'm sure we can get more.

"Big Smooth"

Just readin' over the "BSCC Summer Season SCX Nascar Rules". As you all know one thing that really bugs me is rule changes! Why post the damn rules before you even know what they are actually going to be?!!!.................

How about posting something as "Proposed Rules for Upcoming Class"?

I can't build or tune my car until I know what the ACTUAL rules are!!!

And YES, my "wicker" is already in a "twilly"!!!!  --------------------------------Bill

OK Smooth, The SCX Class is your baby!

We your followers seek your guidance and wisdom..................We seek speed and legality!........................well, SPEED anyway!!!.......................... LEAD US OH WISE ONE!!!!!!

Ok, the rules have been posted.  Let's get those car ready!  The plan is to end the season with a team Enduro.  More on that as we get closer to it.

"Big Smooth"

21 (edited by reek455 April 22, 2009 10:41 am)

Many Thanks to the Stummans for the passing Winter Season.  Now on to the next.....

Rico

OK, I'm ready............
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/scxnascarcot1.jpg
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/scxnascarcot2.jpg

We've got 20 drivers covering 14 different cars signed up for the Summer Season so far.  Great job everyone!

Here's the current list:

SCX #    Type        Drivers
62180    NASCAR    Ford Fusion - Carl Edwards - #99 Office Depot   
62190    NASCAR    Chevy Monte Carlo - Kevin Harvick - #29 Goodwrench   
62200    NASCAR    Dodge Charger - Kasey Kahne - #9 Dodge Dealers   
62380    NASCAR    Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Kevin Harvick - #29 Pennzoil   
62670    NASCAR    Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Kevin Harvick - #29 Pennzoil      Bryan, Tim
62680    NASCAR    Dodge Charger - Kasey Kahne - #9 Dodge Dealers      Randy
62690    NASCAR    Ford Fusion - Matt Kenseth - #27 DeWalt   
62720    NASCAR    Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Dale Earnhardt - #3 Goodwrench      Rico
62730    NASCAR    Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Kevin Harvick - #21 Coast Guard   
63350    NASCAR    Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Dale Earnhardt- #3 Goodwrench/Wrangler   AJ
63360    NASCAR    Dodge Charger - Kasey Kahne - #9 Dodge Dealers      Randy, Jeffrey
63370    COT    Ford Fusion - Greg Biffle - #16 3M   
63380    COT    Chevrolet Impala - Kevin Harvick - #29 Pennzoil   
63390    COT    Ford Fusion - Matt Kenseth - #17 DeWalt      George, Hugh, Greg
63400    COT    Chevrolet Impala - Jeff Burton - #31 AT&T   
63410    COT    Ford Fusion - Carl Edwards - #99 Aflac          Frank, Art
63420    NASCAR    Dodge Charger - Juan Montoya - #42 Havoline      Dennis
63430    NASCAR    Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Hobbytown USA   
63440    NASCAR    Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Harry Wise Slotburger Grill/Home Racing World/SCX    
63480    COT    Chevrolet Impala - Dale Earnhardt Jr. - #88 National Guard      Monte
63940    COT    Chevrolet Impala - Dale Earnhardt Jr. - #88 National Guard        Bryan
63950    COT    Ford Fusion - Carl Edwards - #99 Aflac          Walt
64110    COT    Toyota Camry - Denny Hamlin - #11 FedEx (Due in Sept.)   
64120    COT    Ford Fusion - Greg Biffle - #16 2009 (Due in Sept.)   
64130    COT    Toyota Camry - Kyle Busch - #18 M&M (Due in Sept.)   
64210    COT    Ford Fusion - Carl Edwards - #99 Aflac        Gordon, Jack
64220    COT    Chevrolet Impala - Jeff Burton - #31 Caterpillar      Andre
64290    COT    Toyota Camry - Joey Logano - #20 Home Depot (Due in Sept.)   
88830    COT    Chevrolet Impala Car of Tomorrow Body Kit        Bill

"Big Smooth"

ATTENTION EVERYONE- Indy Grips 4003 DO NOT FIT this generation of SCX Nascar.  Do not waste your time and money ordering them.  Unless of course you have a car they will fit.

Rico

In case it matters to anyone-

This:
63350    NASCAR    Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Kevin Harvick - #21 Coast Guard      AJ

Should be:
63350    NASCAR    Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Dale Earnhardt- #3 Goodwrench/Wrangler     AJ

Rico