Topic: NASTE Over 50 Class Racing

For anyone interested in putting together a vintage 1/24 car for the NASTE Over 50 Class, I was digging through stuff today and set aside about 8 semi complete Classic sidewinder chassis with 36D motors. Most need some minor assembly and/or restoration in the way of missing parts. Of course I have all the necessary parts, just not at my fingertips yet...........Anyway, first come first serve.

The reason for this is I plan to do some casual racing here at Inslot's Checkered Flag for this class of cars. I am aware some people do not have any cars legal for this class, and I am also aware some people don't car to race these cars. For those that are interested in racing them I can probably help you out with equipment and parts, or Ebay is a really good source.

Check over/read the rules before you venture down this road! Ask questions if you are unsure! The current rules are pretty vague and I plan to update the rules as things progress. The main things to remember: the motors must be early technology, 36D can motors (no other can type motors), or early non-can motors like Pitmans, K&B, Kemtron (padlock motors), etc. The chassis must be early production type, i.e. Classic, Garvic, Revell, Monogram, etc., or chassis than were available as a bolt together kit, i.e. Dynamic pot metal. The hardbody cars such as Cox, Monogram, AMT, and Revell are also legal as long as they use a 36D motor.

My goal is to update the rules to make them a little more specific but I would like to see how things progress first.   =====Bill

Re: NASTE Over 50 Class Racing

sounds like a plan Bill. Build it, test it, smash it with a hammer and start over..

The secondnidator

By rules, I assume you mean Class 6 listed here:

http://www.naste.org/racerules.cfm

Presently quantified as:

Class 6 - Over 50

Cars eligible for the Over 50 Class will be cars with a mass produced chassis that was available in a kit or RTR (ready to run i.e. Cox, Strombecker, Revell, etc.). That also includes the chassis only kits, such as those manufactured by Dynamic.

No modifications will be allowed to the chassis (as in the addition of weight pans or handling pans).

Legal motors will be the 36D cans, as well as the motors that were used before the 36Ds became the standard (i.e. Kemtron, Pitman, Atlas, Tyco, etc.). I know what you're thinking; there is a lot of disparity between those listed motors and chassis types. True. So what I see is a possibility of a number of divisions within the class as this class of racing progresses. The cars will be raced all together, but finish positions will be scored according to division. The cars motor type, chassis type, and body type (either clear plastic type or injection molded model type) will be factors determining divisions within the class. I will be recording and keeping track of each cars lap times as well as number of laps completed during the races. At some point we may have enough data to combine some of the class divisions based on similar performance. 

MINIMUM rear tire diameter shall be 1 1/8 inch!

Class Sponsor: Bill Bostic

The cut/paste above will not update if changes are made.  Check the link for the most current rules.

CK

Yes, those are the current rules. Sorry I didn't post them here.

They're pretty basic. If you have an old slot car from the '60's with either a 36D motor or older motor, and it is not scratchbuilt it is probably legal.

Nothing to be sorry about, just making sure if the question gets asked of "what are the actual rules?", I wanted to have them referenced and accessible.

Thanks Chris!

Here's a link to some interesting info on vintage motors: http://slotblog.net/topic/36654-underst … 16d-motor/

I've gotten bogged down on this class. The big issue with the Over 50 cars are the sidewinder 36D powered cars. Getting enough ground/track clearance is challenging! Not to mention solving the rear tire issue. On the Checkered Flag track with the 12 volt power, the newer style natural rubber tires work best. As yet I have not found replacement "donuts" for a reasonable price. Using hard rubber tires we could go with lesser ground clearance, like maybe .032" versus .055", but with the softer natural rubber tires .055" is the least I am willing to allow. Those huge brass spur gears can play hell on a track surface!

Another option I'm looking into is switching out the brass spur gears to plastic. I have some, but I'm not sure what kind of supply I have yet. The track clearance problem is the big hold up, at least on the sidewinder cars. There are other Over 50 class cars that are inline that would be easier to get past this problem, but that leaves out a lot of great old chassis types! I will continue my efforts to come up with a solution.

try contacting.
https://www.teamcrc.com/
big 1/12 rc pan car company
they maybe able set you up on donuts or just getting a sheet to make the donuts

The secondnidator