Topic: Power supplies

I'm finding my track is pretty tough for a beginner.  I read somewhere that using a variable power supply, one can lower the voltage.  Trying to keep myself on a budget, I found on the internet an adjustable power supply for $22.00, plus shipping.  It steps up from 3 to 12 volts in 3 volt increments.  Would 12 volts be enough of a drop to help me out?  As it is now, I have to almost supply no power going through a few corners.  These are magnetless cars, which I like. 

Also, while I'm at it, would it be a good idea to buy two power supplies, one for each lane? 

Thanks

Finishing second, isn't much better than finishing at all........  (I believe a David Pearson quote)

Re: Power supplies

It depends on the current ratings.   I run a variable power supply that is adjustable from 6 to 15v with 22A current.  For a two lane track, it's plenty, probably for a four lane too.  Current is more important than voltage.

"Big Smooth"

With Scalextric Sport the track with the power/controller hook ups is set up so you can run two wall warts (power supplies) it helps eliminate power drop off when one guy gets on the power first.  It is not a variable set up though. A good variable power supply is not cheap at least the ones I have looked at.  You don't mention how many amps the one you are looking at is.  I would say you need at least 5 amps, Monte or Bill or ? can correct me on this.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Yes, that would be a good starting point.  Check Craig's List.  That's where I got both of mine.

"Big Smooth"

Garage sale......$5.00!!!!

Or try a computer power supply and use a rheostat on the 120 volt side.......

-------------------Bill

6 (edited by KuifjePDX February 4, 2009 9:08 pm)

I'd say 3~5A per lane would probably be enough for 1/32 and HO tracks. I would recommend an adjustable supply in the range of 6 to 9 volts on the bottom end and 15 to 18 volts on the top. A cheaper alternative to an adjustable bench top lab power supply could be a fixed voltage (24 volts) high amperage (10 amps and up) power supply with individual adjustable voltage regulators (like the LM350). It does require a little handy work with a soldering iron and a couple electronic components. I picked the LM350 off of eBay for about a buck a piece.

Follow this link to see this described in more detail: http://slotcars.carlsoncomputers.com/ar … r_base.asp

http://slotcars.carlsoncomputers.com/articles/slotcar_powerbase/pictures/LM350schmatic.jpg

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

The $22.00 power supply I was looking at is only 2 amps.  So maybe that is not a good choice.  My dad is into electronics, the LM350 supply might be a fun project to do with him.

Thanks

Finishing second, isn't much better than finishing at all........  (I believe a David Pearson quote)

Something like this would have been great. I think the price is a fluke. Most of the time you will have to pay (a lot) more for these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … AA:US:1123

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt