Topic: NASTE Annual Halloween Race 2020

This year's Halloween race is scheduled for Saturday October 31st. I'd like to try and get a count of people planning to attend. I know there are some people that have other things planned for that day or evening, myself being one of them. If I can get a head count and a feeling for people's availability maybe we can determine an optimum start time, or possibly even move the race date to Friday evening if that would work out better?

Please chime in!

=======Bill

Re: NASTE Annual Halloween Race 2020

Friday evening probably works better for me. But I will try to attend either way.

Friday 205 traffic is a nightmare...and it being that close to Halloween there will be double the goons and nut jobs  out on  the road

The secondnidator

I can do either day

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

So far, counting me and I will have to leave at 7 pm if it's a Saturday race, we have 2 for sures and 3 maybes.

Bill; the track can be open any day of the week if you want including Sundays.

Thank you Howie! We really appreciate you hosting our Halloween races and being so flexible!

SO.......would there be a better day or time to reschedule the Halloween race so more people can participate?

=========Bill

We are good for any day.

I would like to suggest we move the Halloween race date to Friday October 30th.  Does anybody have any objections?

10 (edited by docdoom October 6, 2020 4:39 pm)

sound like plan Bill.
So there is a guys walking through the park and sees a nun sitting on the bench.
He walks over and sit down next to the Nun.
he turns and say to the nun that he always want to kiss a nun.
the nun reply's that would not be right in eye of god
well it ways been on my bucket list the guy says.
So the Nun asks are you  catholic?
why yes I am the guy answers back.
well then it would be ok for you to give me little kiss the nun says..
so the guy leans over and gives the nun a big old wet kiss right on the mouth and starts to laugh. the nun ask what is so funny?
well the guys says I'm really not catholic.
the nun reply back and says that ok, I'm really not a nun, my name is Bill and I'm on my way to a costume party

The secondnidator

The date for the Halloween Race has been changed to Friday October 30th. The doors will open at 5:00 PM. This is a pot luck event as usual, so please bring snacks, food, or drinks along. Although I did not receive many responses to the date change proposal I did receive at least two comments that Friday might work out better. I’m looking forward to another great Halloween race in the typical NASTE fashion! Something new for this year………….the expanded role of the MASK?

There was some talk about the NASTE Halloween race at Rapid Raceway yesterday after the Sportsman and NASTRUCK races. Sounds like we may have a pretty good turnout this year after all! See ya all there!

wb0s wrote:

The date for the Halloween Race has been changed to Friday October 30th. The doors will open at 5:00 PM. This is a pot luck event as usual, so please bring snacks, food, or drinks along. Although I did not receive many responses to the date change proposal I did receive at least two comments that Friday might work out better. I’m looking forward to another great Halloween race in the typical NASTE fashion! Something new for this year………….the expanded role of the MASK?

I hope your not still thinking about dressing up like a nun...

The secondnidator

Hmmmmmmm.............now there's a thought Stan!!!!

With the renewed interest in the NASTE Annual Halloween Race I have been questioned in regards to "the rules" by some folks interested in attending for the first time. So I decided to do some research on where the rules for the Halloween Race are located and what exactly they say. Well as it turns out I couldn't find any written rules listed anywhere. Seems we have been doing this for so long everyone that has attended in the past has kind of had a general understanding of the rules or lack there of. So I guess I thought I'd give it a shot at putting the "rules" into a written form.......

Here's what I understand the rules to be, please feel free to post any questions you may have as far as clarification!

1. All cars must be of a Halloween theme.
2. A car's width may not impede the travel of other cars when travelling in a straight line (cars cannot be too wide as to block other cars from passing when going down the straights).
3. Rapid Raceway is a commercial type 1/24 routed wood track with a maximum underpass clearance of 3 1/2 inches. Cars must pass through the underpass (this rule is subject to builder/driver's discretion as far as what part or parts of the car may be dislodged or removed from the car when negotiating the underpass).
4. Cars must roll on tires and NOT drag the track (chassis or HARD parts must not drag on the track or cause damage to the track surface).
5. At least one segment of the race will be held in total darkness (cars equipped with lights will have an advantage!).
6. Racers MUST have FUN (this rule is non-negotiable and will be enforced!).

SPECIFICS:
Chassis : ANY
Wheelbase : YES
Scale : ANY
Motor : ANY
Tires : ANY
Body : YES - ANY
Ground Clearance : YES - A minimum of .050 inch is advised!
Lights or some sort of illumination : NOT REQUIRED BUT DEFINITELY SUGGESTED!

as of 10/18/2020

I'm ready early for once. I completed my car yesterday.  Only thing to do is wait and maybe a change of tires.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

17 (edited by docdoom October 20, 2020 3:07 pm)

No car but will try and stop and watch and  talk some bs.

The secondnidator

Nice Rico! I'm still up in the air as far as a car......

wb0s wrote:

I'm still up in the air as far as a car......

I would recommend bringing one, Bill. 

If you don't, it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight, except in this case, you're bringing nothing to a gun fight.  Either way ends poorly for you.

Spot on assessment Mr. Kouba!

Not even COVID 19 could stop the NASTE Annual Halloween Race! Although the pandemic did have some impact on attendance, the race was completed without incident....well, without any "unusual for the Halloween race" incidents..........Of course there were plenty of "on track" incidents. It was the Halloween Race! The seven racers in attendance had a great time!

There was PLENTY of food and treats! There were two racers in the "Halloween Rookie" ranks. I believe they learned a couple lessons in regards to the NASTE Halloween Race; 1. You really do NEED some sort of lighting on your car! 2. That lighting NEEDS to be independent of the track power! One of the rookies, Bart Ouchida took the win this year!

Congrats to Bart on his win! Thank you to Monte & Victoria for the pizzas they sent to the track! Thanks to Dorothy Abbott and Bart's wife for the Halloween treats! Thanks to everyone that brought food! And most of all thank you again Howie for hosting our annual NASTE Halloween Race!

Here's the race results:
1st Place Bart 125 laps
2nd Terry 117 laps
3rd Bill 116 laps
4th - TIE - Scott 114 laps
4th - TIE - Rico 114 laps
6th Dorothy "Hammer" 100 laps
7th Howie 99 laps

We had seven entries on the grid for the NASTE 2020 Halloween Race.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_3040NHR.jpg

Many competitors showed up with the proper COVID 19 safety equipment.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_3041NHR.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_3042NHR.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_3043NHR.jpg

This racer was a little confused.....

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_3047NHR.jpg

Here some video from the 2020 Halloween race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow6HbJFzhb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrJSU5oEVho

This heat was run in darkness........duh...........it's as confusing as the racing was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV1XYse4oBw

Bill; I promise I will have my own car next year! Thanks for the loaner. The race was a lot of fun and the BS session along with the food and goodies made it all well worth it. I believe we can get the turnout up for next yr. How long has the NASTE Halloween race been going on?

We held the first NASTE Halloween race in 1995 I believe. There has been only one or two years since then that the annual Halloween race was not held.