Topic: Sportsman chassis dimensions

I hope everyone is doing well! I have fallen out of the groove since all the racing was cancelled. I am excited to see that there is a Classic Nascar race coming up next month (Zach told me about it)! I am thinking of trying to build a chassis for it. I thought I had seen some blueprints with dimensions and notes on building this chassis somewhere, but I cannot locate it now. Does anybody have something like that to help me build the Sportsman chassis?

Re: Sportsman chassis dimensions

If you want to borrow one of my cars to copy. I can loan you my spare!

Zack

Hey Tommy, I don't recall if anything has been posted regarding the building of a Bob Hanna style Econo Car Chassis. The Econo chassis is the same chassis design required for the Sportsman Class. The Early Modified chassis as raced at Howie's are the same but with narrowed side pans to allow the mounting of the narrow modified bodies.

Here's a post with chassis photos:
http://naste.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=858

.090" brass strip is used for the side pans and center section, and the wheelbase is 4.5".

Tom, because most vary a bit, typically you want to get the body you want first, then build the chassis to fit it.

I race one of the old original Hanna Econo chassis. If I were to build another chassis for this class or the similar classes, I'd build it to the original Hanna dimensions. This provides the maximum possible chassis width and weight, which has been proven to be a great performer through the years. The rules really don't allow for modifications to the original Hanna chassis design. I pick bodies that fit the chassis or will fit with just a little stretching, there are plenty of bodies that fit the original chassis specs. Bodies that require a narrower chassis or different wheelbase may be giving up some performance, you won't know until you actually race it. To me that's a lot of "maybe" for the work involved to build it. I'd just as soon go with a proven chassis for these classes.

Thanks for all the advice! I may try and get one of you to let me borrow one to copy. I am working from home so I have a lot of time on my hands to goof off!