1 (edited by howie February 22, 2020 8:09 am)

Topic: Controllers.

Fellow racers; I have a dilemma: I have four Difalco controllers. One I have been using since about 2003. Over the years I have purchased 3 more. The latest one I bought a couple yrs. ago and it has the heat sink toward the end of the hookup lines, I can't remember what the part # is for it. That is the one I am currently using. All my controllers have the brake and sensitivity pods. However now I am considering the Difalco 218 with traction control. I swore I would never spend over $200.00 for a controller, the DD218 is at least $350.00+. I have checked out prices on controllers; any where from about $200.00 to $800.00!

Racers: tell me the pros and cons about your 1/24th. controller. I guess I need to be convinced to spend the $.

Re: Controllers.

Howie, there was some discussion about this in the "slot talk" portion of the forum as well.

I have what is basically a 280. I originally bought the dd304, but quickly found the heat sink was not up to the task...so I switched it for the Genesis 2 heat sink which basically made it the 280. I do however, want to upgrade the brake pot. So basically I should have just paid the extra 50 bucks and got the brake pot and the big heatsink from the start.

I noticed immediate improvement when using the HD30 controllers, even the night I borrowed one of yours because of the heat sink issue....I was immediately slower. The 30 bands for me makes more difference than anything else, but I have found that if you have a car that chatters a little if you get on the gas too fast the traction control is a life saver.

This happened with new tires on the TA2 car for me, and I could easily just dial back the traction control as opposed to recalibrating my driiving....a big advantage and a lot nicer to the car!

I would borrow one for some laps.....I think just about everyone who has ended up buying one!

Zack

howie wrote:

Fellow racers; I have a dilemma: I have four Difalco controllers. One I have been using since about 2003. Over the years I have purchased 3 more. The latest one I bought a couple yrs. ago and it has the heat sink toward the end of the hookup lines, I can't remember what the part # is for it. That is the one I am currently using. All my controllers have the brake and sensitivity pods. However now I am considering the Difalco 218 with traction control. I swore I would never spend over $200.00 for a controller, the DD218 is at least $350.00+. I have checked out prices on controllers; any where from about $200.00 to $800.00!

Racers: tell me the pros and cons about your 1/24th. controller. I guess I need to be convinced to spend the $.

BTW, the one you "want" is probably the DD281, which is his top of the line controller.

Zack

From my experience I would echo what Zack said.

Zack, and Bill; yes the DD281, I got the numbers mixed up, imagine that!

6 (edited by Mt Goat February 22, 2020 3:16 pm)

You could get the DD304 with upgraded heatsink and 5 ohm brake for $266. It is the same as DD281 except 3 ohm brake

Mt Goat wrote:

You could get the DD304 with upgraded heatsink and 5 ohm brake for $266. It is the same as DD281 except 3 ohm brake

You would want to make sure and call him, since this is obviously not standard pricing.

Zack

Thanks for the responses, now it is a decision of when do I want to spend the big bucks! I got a lot of feedback at the race last night and I think I will go with a DD281.